OT: RIP Donald Sutherland | The Boneyard

OT: RIP Donald Sutherland

Reaction Score
15 years or so ago I got to know him a bit through a public service project we were both involved in. He seemed like a really warm, friendly guy with not much of an ego. Really a pleasant guy to be around who didn't take himself too seriously. RIP.

Reaction Score
RIP, Odd Ball. Great actor

4432.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A number of years back I read something about I believe John Landis (could have been Ivan Reitman) about his first job as an assistant in a movie. He had a meaningless third or fourth rate assistant position to the director (possibly producer, it was years ago that I heard it) and he was miserable. Sutherland was already a pretty big name at the time and he noticed the assistant having a difficult time so he called him into his dressing room during a break to talk. When told that he was thinking about giving up on making movies Sutherland said "I have enough confidence in you that I believe you will one day be the guy in charge of the movie. When that day comes, you better have a part for me."

This is why Sutherland was cast in Animal House.

He was a terrific actor with exceptional range. May he rest in peace.

Reaction Score
He had the option of receiving 40K or 2% of the gross for "Animal House". He took the 40K but the film went on to gross 141 million dollars.

Reaction Score
Im not sure why i remember his part in Backdraft so much, but i do. He played a pyromaniac that was up for parole. Dinero's character went to the parole hearing to make sure Sutherland wasnt released. It was a small but good role for Donald

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Im not sure why i remember his part in Backdraft so much, but i do. He played a pyromaniac that was up for parole. Dinero's character went to the parole hearing to make sure Sutherland wasnt released. It was a small but good role for Donald
He was fantastic in that movie

Reaction Score
He had such range. I was just reminded that he was in "Ordinary People" where his character is quite different from the Oddball character and his acting in "Dirty Dozen".

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
“I’m not joking, this is my job!”

And those negative waves, man.

Another great actor. RIP.

Aside: Don’t know if any of you caught this a couple weeks ago, but Dick Van Dyke just turned 98. And Mel Brooks? 97.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Some great movies. First that comes to mind is Kelly's Heroes.

Reaction Score
Was going to post the same… small role but he crushed it. Scary believable for me seeing it when I was like 10-11.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He was always good. Typically understated, soft spoken with a gift for sarcasm. He could be creepy if he wanted to be. RIP to a screen legend. Thanks for the movies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom