OT: - refinancing a home, whats the "point"? | The Boneyard

OT: refinancing a home, whats the "point"?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
good stories... bad stories?
Lets say my rate was 7.5% with bad credit 680... now its 8yrs later and my score is 750. Can I be helped and would it be worth it. Home mortgage was 140K now its down to $117K

This is the place for knowledgeable responses...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Interest rates are moving upwards due to the Fed raising rates couple with signals that it plans future increases. If you think the current economic trend will continue, refinancing sooner rather than later makes sense. Google "refinance calculator" and you should get a number of online apps that can show you what your potential costs are.

It may make more sense to a modification with your existing lender, rather than a new loan. You'll save some costs but likely be charged a modification fee. I'd check it both ways.

Keep in mind that you have options. The longer you extend your term the lower your monthly payment will be, but it will increase the total cost of your loan. Again I'd look at a few different ways and pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

Reaction Score
Yes you can and yes it would. Just be sure you always refinance to a shorter term loan than the remaining years on your existing mortgage. If you had 22 years left and you refinanced to a new 30-year loan, then you would end up paying interest on a theoretical 38 total years. Bad business, even if you aren’t really going to keep the loan/house 38 years, because the interest is very front-loaded - in the beginning years of the loan your payment is mostly interest. You should be able to get a 15-20 year loan for around 4%.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Mortgage rates vary, often according to your zip code. There are several on line calculators and you can plug in your numbers. Your credit score of 750 should be fine. Good luck, and make a quick but informed decision, as rates will be rising soon. 15 years at 5% or less is within your grasp.

Reaction Score
For maybe the first time ever, I'm qualified to answer a question on this board:) I've been a mortgage loan officer for 30 years and you should absolutely refinance!! As others have mentioned, exactly what direction you go depends on what you are trying to accomplish-lower rate or lower payment? If you can handle a 12 year amortization I highly recommend Charter Oak Credit Union's (based in SE CT) Accelerator mortgage (no, I don't work for them) which has only an appraisal fee and has an excellent rate which will be fixed for 12 years-good luck!!

Reaction Score
We refinanced once and it was a very positive experience. It was back when the HARP plan was in effect. We took our 30-year mortgage (which we had paid three years on) at something like 4.65% and refinanced to about 3% for 20 years. Our payments stayed roughly the same and we reduced the payment time (and the amount of total interest we would pay) considerably. When we sold the house, we had a lot more equity in it than we would have otherwise.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think I've refied four or five times, taking my interest rate from 8 to 2.5. The rule of thumb is that you'll make out if you gain around 0.75 percentage points. There are online amortization calculators you can use to see how long it will take you to recoup any closing costs.

Along the lines of HuskyPhan, my one recommendation would be to refi through a local bank rather than an online broker. We did it through an online broker once, and that was the only bad experience we've had.

Reaction Score
Lets say my rate was 7.5% with bad credit 680... now its 8yrs later and my score is 750. Can I be helped and would it be worth it. Home mortgage was 140K now its down to $117K

Let me add another alternative for you to consider. But first, congrats on improving your credit score. It's a long process and you seem to have been able to get there.

The conventional wisdom about home ownership is that you should pay off your mortgage as soon as possible. My sense is that it is very comforting for most people to own their own home outright. And the quick analysis is that you have saved a bunch on interest costs. But fiscally, that is not always the way to go.

First, the money you borrow on your home is the cheapest money you can "buy." Not only is the interest rate lower than other commercial loans but the the interest is tax deductible. Say you're in the 20% tax bracket and have a 5% interest rate, your "actual" rate of interest in only 4%.

Second, you have to take a look at the "opportunity" money that you are losing if you pay off your home. House prices are fluid as we all know by now and not always rising. If you pay off a $100,000 mortgage, then the earning power of the $100,000 of equity sitting in your home depends on the housing market. If you use that $100,000 (or portion thereof) in the market, it too may go up and down but history tells us that the market earns a better rate of return than home ownership does.

Third, money depreciates over time due to inflation. The money you owe today will be worth less in the future. So, while you are paying more interest with a longer mortgage, the money you will be using later to pay back the loan will be cheaper.

So, my suggestion is: if you are comfortable without paying off your house quickly, see if you can refinance at a lower rate (I agree with finding a bank loan at least 0.75% less than you have now) but keep a 30 year mortgage. With the money you are not spending to pay down your loan fast, invest with a broker like Vanguard (no, I don't work there) where you can buy an exchange-traded fund (ETF) which spreads the risk among many stocks or bonds.

Good luck.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Rob a couple of well cased banks and pay it off! :p;) Seriously, I have always found a good independent mortgage broker the best for giving you near instant sound market analysis and advice. Key word: GOOD and INDEPENDENT and you fall in to it by asking around locally with people you trust.

Using the calculators on line will get you a ton of frustration and a lot of junk e-mails and ads as you surf the internet.

Reaction Score
But fiscally, that is not always the way to go.

First, the money you borrow on your home is the cheapest money you can "buy." Not only is the interest rate lower than other commercial loans but the the interest is tax deductible. Say you're in the 20% tax bracket and have a 5% interest rate, your "actual" rate of interest in only 4%.

Second, you have to take a look at the "opportunity" money that you are losing if you pay off your home. House prices are fluid as we all know by now and not always rising. If you pay off a $100,000 mortgage, then the earning power of the $100,000 of equity sitting in your home depends on the housing market. If you use that $100,000 (or portion thereof) in the market, it too may go up and down but history tells us that the market earns a better rate of return than home ownership does.

Third, money depreciates over time due to inflation. The money you owe today will be worth less in the future. So, while you are paying more interest with a longer mortgage, the money you will be using later to pay back the loan will be cheaper.

So, my suggestion is: if you are comfortable without paying off your house quickly, see if you can refinance at a lower rate (I agree with finding a bank loan at least 0.75% less than you have now) but keep a 30 year mortgage. With the money you are not spending to pay down your loan fast, invest with a broker like Vanguard (no, I don't work there) where you can buy an exchange-traded fund (ETF) which spreads the risk among many stocks or bonds.

Good luck.
Although the interest is technically still tax deductible, the new dramatically-higher standard deduction ($24,000 for married filing jointly for 2018) has basically eliminated interest deductibility as a factor for a huge portion of homeowners. Not that it's a bad thing - you're basically getting the tax break anyway now, whether you have any deductible interest or not. But tax deductibility of mortgage interest has become a non-factor for many if not most of the middle class.

Reaction Score
For maybe the first time ever, I'm qualified to answer a question on this board:) I've been a mortgage loan officer for 30 years and you should absolutely refinance!! As others have mentioned, exactly what direction you go depends on what you are trying to accomplish-lower rate or lower payment? If you can handle a 12 year amortization I highly recommend Charter Oak Credit Union's (based in SE CT) Accelerator mortgage (no, I don't work for them) which has only an appraisal fee and has an excellent rate which will be fixed for 12 years-good luck!!
I've been a real estate broker for 25 years, after my social work / therapy career.
All of the advice given here is spot on!
My question is how old are you and are you still working for awhile longer or retired.
If you can afford the payments if go with as short a term as you can afford asap as rates are only rising.
I've refinanced quite a few times to help pay for college, buy a second home, but five years ago got a 3% mortgage for 15 years st a comparable payment to my higher rate 30 year loan and if I live another less than ten years, the house will be finally paid off.
It will also allow my wife to finally be able to give something substantial to my son and daughter when we pass away!
Lots of issues, lots to think about but analyze your own situation and needs and pull the trigger!
Bronx23

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We have refinanced a few times over the years. Our second home purchase was during the Carter years when interest rates skyrocketed up. The best mortgage deal was a variable rate starting at 16.8% for 30 years. Three years later we refinanced to a lower fixed rate but still at 30 years. As interest rates started to drop, we refinanced that house two more times over 15 years. First for 20 years and then for 15 years. Except for the first mortgage on the house, we did all our mortgages with a locally owned bank. We also transferred all our accounts to the same bank.

When we sold that house and bought a bigger one, we used "our" bank and got a fair deal. Four years later we refinanced because rates had dropped.

So if you can refinance, do it. Again, its a short term gain (monthly payments) and a long term gain (total amount paid over life of the loan).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm 15yrs before 65... and these post are very encouraging, haven't read one bad thing about refinancing

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
is there a way to get out of the PMI deal with a new mortgage loan let's say after 5 yes. Is there a difference between CHFA (may be a CT thing) and a Conventional loan?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
is there a way to get out of the PMI deal with a new mortgage loan let's say after 5 yes. Is there a difference between CHFA (may be a CT thing) and a Conventional loan?

You shouldn't pay PMI if your loan-to-value is less than 80%. I once got a loan without PMI with 10% down (I doubt they do that now, but you never know). So if you've paid down or your property has appreciated, you may not need to pay it.

Mortgage rates are tied to US bond rates rather than the Fed rate, which is for short-term loans. Mortgage rates are going up because investors are skittish about the national debt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mortgage rates are tied to US bond rates rather than the Fed rate, which is for short-term loans. Mortgage rates are going up because investors are skittish about the national debt.
Agreed, but the Fed's increase of the prime lending rate will push interest rates up just as the QE I and II made borrowing money very affordable.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You shouldn't pay PMI if your loan-to-value is less than 80%. I once got a loan without PMI with 10% down (I doubt they do that now, but you never know). So if you've paid down or your property has appreciated, you may not need to pay it.

I'm wondering about refinancing and would the PMI follow me into a newly refinanced loan?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Yes, there's a lot of good reasons to refinance a Home Mortgage when the interest rates change warrant it. However, from what I've read and had friends experience, what some do when the refinance go out buy new cars, remodel kitchens etc. So instead of reducing their debt they end up at the same level and sometimes even more in debt. The ideal situation would be to refinance your home loan to reduce your overall debt. However instead of only paying the new lower monthly mortgage, pay the payment at the same amount that you've been paying in many cases for years. Thus paying off the new mortgage earlier. The exception I would make is if there is other debt, then apply the complete difference between the old and new monthly payment to existing debt until its paid off.

Reaction Score
Paying more interest than is necessary makes the bank richer and you poorer. Banks are not and never will be your friend. ...Best of luck...Let us know your decision...

Reaction Score
Yes, finally a topic on BY that I'm an expert on! I've been a residential loan officer for 30 years:) The COVID 19 pandemic has greatly affected all financial markets and the mortgage world has not been immune to that. We have record low interest rates right now because the Feds are buying $30 Billion in mortgage backed securities (MBS) EVERY DAY during this crisis to keep the mortgage market liquid and moving. It's very difficult to make a blanket statement on if it is worth it for you to refinance without knowing a bunch of variables that affect your personal financial situation and goals. For some people with lower mortgage amounts who want to do a 15yr or shorter term, there are local community banks that offer these refis with little or no closing costs. Otherwise you are looking at $2000-3000 in hard closing costs dependent on your mortgage balance. Feel free to PM me with any questions:)

Reaction Score
I am in the process of refinancing my mortgage. Currently have a 15 yr with 3% interest with 7.5 years left. Refinancing to a 15 yr with 2.75%. Yes I'm adding 8 yrs, but need the money for much needed roof and HVAC equipment. Payment will be the same and adding much needed value to the house after all is said and done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom