OT: Ray Allen: Why I went to Auschwitz (link) | The Boneyard

OT: Ray Allen: Why I went to Auschwitz (link)

Reaction Score
I'm sure the Salty Celtics will find a way to throw shade at this too.

Reaction Score
I shared this. Obvious intellect. Compassion grappling with the desire to empathize, while the thought that empathy might be impossible lingers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good for Ray. And good for not allowing himself to be typecast.

Not meant to be flippant, but let's say you're on vacation in Poland and go visit Auschwitz. What do you do afterwards? I can't imagine you just wash that off and go eat. That's gotta stay with you awhile.

Being of Lithuanian descent, I've often thought of heading over there for a vacation and catching Poland as well. And honestly, I think if I'm there I'd have to go visit Auschwitz. Which is a big reason why I've never gone. I don't think I'd handle it well.

Reaction Score
Good for Ray. And good for not allowing himself to be typecast.

Not meant to be flippant, but let's say you're on vacation in Poland and go visit Auschwitz. What do you do afterwards? I can't imagine you just wash that off and go eat. That's gotta stay with you awhile.

Being of Lithuanian descent, I've often thought of heading over there for a vacation and catching Poland as well. And honestly, I think if I'm there I'd have to go visit Auschwitz. Which is a big reason why I've never gone. I don't think I'd handle it well.

I went there when I was a senior in high school and its hard to describe really. It is extremely powerful. It seems odd to say this but if you have the chance to go you really should.

Reaction Score
Powerful article. I've sadly never left the country, but this seems like a trip I need to make.

Reaction Score
If anyone hasn't read "Night" I would very much recommend it. This is on my bucket list of places to go but with my family history there, It's going to be a tough trip.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He should run for political office. He gets it.

Reaction Score
Very powerful story ... and very horrific part of history. I've been to Auschwitz twice ... took the family there as part of a European vacation in 2014. I highly recommend it to anyone who visits that part of Europe. The tourism areas of Krakow and Zakopane are very accommodating to foreign tourists and English is spoken just about everywhere.

My father was born on a farm outside of Mielec Poland in 1938 and lived thru the occupation of both the Nazis and the Soviets. His home was destroyed by Soviet artillery fire in 1944 as the Germans retreated. I've heard many stories of brutal Nazis, oppressive Soviets, and a strong willed country that would succumb to neither. None of the stories prepared me for the Auschwitz and Birkenau visits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom