OT: R.I.P. Morley Safer | The Boneyard

OT: R.I.P. Morley Safer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Damn, can't believe it, I just watched the 60 minutes piece last Sunday night on his wonderful career.

What grit, guts, knowledge, style, and panache he had in doing his stories,I really loved his work.

RIP Morley Safer, you are in my journalism HOF.

HGN

Reaction Score
Sad news indeed...........I liked Safer. Personable and excellent at his job.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
When growing up on northern Long Island, I remember happily sitting down in front of the television to watch Morley Safer, Mike Wallace, Harry Reasoner, Andy Rooney and Dan Rather on 60 Minutes. Now, all but Rather are gone. Whoa...this is one of those moments when I think of Satchel Paige's quote: "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you." We all move on, but to die a mere week after retiring seems cruel.

If Wallace was the "in your face" reporter, then Safer was the cool, calculating yet approachable Canadian with the even cooler name. Morley Safer...just rolled off the tongue. He could do hard news, soft features. It was all good. And he -- and later Cronkite -- seemed to be the guys who showed that Vietnam was more than just a bit nastier than was initially being let on. But I always felt that he was giving his viewers credit..no matter how serious or light the subject was. Established credibility and inspired loyalty, which I kept to the end of his career. Now, life.

RIP Morley Safer. Great job. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I've known many people to quickly go downhill after retirement, but not that fast. RIP to a great journalist.

I remember Paul "Bear" Bryant died pretty much a day after retiring from coaching Alabama football (and like one day after passing a routine physical examination) from a massive heart attack.

Reaction Score
Wow! Wow! Wow! Just one week from from 4 decades of journalism and gone off the earth? Not fair!

Reaction Score
I remember Paul "Bear" Bryant died pretty much a day after retiring from coaching Alabama football (and like one day after passing a routine physical examination) from a massive heart attack.

Dillion77- - -I was going to post that thought about BEAR BRYANT also and there are several more that I can't think of when these driven, hard working guys finally decide to retire they lose that reason to get up and go! And pass away soon after the announcement.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillion77- - -I was going to post that thought about BEAR BRYANT also and there are several more that I can't think of when these driven, hard working guys finally decide to retire they lose that reason to get up and go! And pass away soon after the announcement.

Rshermvikes -- Excuse my typo..it was a month after he retired.
Anyways, agree with you...several of these types of folks use that drive/need to keep on pushing and once done, it's like a labrador suddenly losing his/her energy....that's it. Also, in the case of Bryant, the dark side of the drive catches up -- he was a really heavy smoker and drinker.

Reaction Score
It's funny, but when I was watching that 60 minutes tribute to him last weekend, I thought to myself "well, I bet about 5-6 months from now, I'll see some special report with Morley covering a long lost art find in Outer Mongolia or someplace, all with his usual cool styling and aplomb.....

Thanks again Morley, you were truly unique, special, and one of a kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom