OT: R.I.P. Dick Enberg | The Boneyard

OT: R.I.P. Dick Enberg

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Aw, one of the professional announcers that could cover just about anything, armed with good attitude, outlook, grammar and research. Not my favorite, but you know you'd always get a good and engaged listen. If I was to sit down and think about the number of sporting events that I heard called over the course of my adult life, I'm certain he was behind the mike on more than a few.
It was a great run.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm 70 and the one thing that happens to a person my age is you lose parts of your childhood or teen years! It always strikes me that that was my youth I enjoyed and followed them! Singers, sports commentators, athletes, movie stars, pass away and a piece of me goes with them!
With all the sickness I've endured over the past 3 years it really makes me reflect on what I enjoyed as a youngster and what I'm losing as an elder! Very sad!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wow -- this is a huge, huge loss for sports broadcasting. To me, Dick Enberg just exuded class on the air. Like the Duke in Escape from New York, he was 'A #1.'

Sincere, professional, earnest, and seemingly born to call a game. What a voice and what a delivery.

Sometimes the great game-callers aren't all that great in studio or doing interviews. He was great at both. He just made whatever event he was doing seem big. Or if it was already big, he made it feel even bigger.

If there is a public gathering as part of the arrangements, I'm sure Bob Costas will speak. Like many of his generation, he idolized Dick Enberg.

RIP Dick Enberg - you made your mark.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Such sad news. I got to know Dick during his stints at the Breeders' Cup. He was a consummate broadcaster and a kind and generous person, a real gentleman.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
He was a positive role model for any sports broadcaster with the good sense to listen to him. He set the standard in so many respects.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom