OT: Quitting Smoking.

I don't know if smoking rates have dropped in Bulgaria since 2003, but there was a ton of it when I was there. Plus, you needed a good pair of knees to buy smokes since most were sold in "squat shops".
Yeah quite a bit when I was there last month - in Romania, Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo and Greece too...and surprisingly in Austria! That whole region is a smoke den. Serbia and Kosovo really stood above the rest though.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
No It's not. Its called atmosphere. That's why the Top top notch steakhouses still have private smoking rooms for cigars and cigarettes. It's a vital part of the decadent experience.
I use to enjoy smoking in bars. The alcohol anesthetizes you so you can chain smoke and it doesn't bother you (until the next day). Glad those day are in the rear view mirror. Very fortunate.

Went to Vegas in 04. I had just had a heart attack. I was shocked at people walking around stores smoking. I wanted to go to church to see if people were smoking in there.

How are you making out?
Good. I took a few puffs on Tuesday, beat the sh%t out of myself.....and stopped before I got myself into trouble. So I am on day 24. Like I said I caved but only like 4 or 5 puffs. Then said ...whoa, let's not get this started again. Had a doctor appointment today. BP is down. Breathing much better. Time to start walking again.

Dove

Voted Top 100 Funniest Poster in 2001, 2004, 2009
Good. I took a few puffs on Tuesday, beat the sh%t out of myself.....and stopped before I got myself into trouble. So I am on day 24. Like I said I caved but only like 4 or 5 puffs. Then said ...whoa, let's not get this started again. Had a doctor appointment today. BP is down. Breathing much better. Time to start walking again.
Resist!!!!
1548456793799.png

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
Hey, that sounds like solid progress to me.

Great work.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Keep up the good work and ignore August. His glorifying "atmosohere" that kills others (thought he was joking) is about as smart as his bringing up the delights of smoking in a thread about quitting.

Very disappointing from one of my favorite posters

Keep up the good work and ignore August. His glorifying "atmosohere" that kills others (thought he was joking) is about as smart as his bringing up the delights of smoking in a thread about quitting.

I live in a world with smokers. My wife for one.

David 76

Forty years a fan
I live in a world with smokers. My wife for the

Ouch! That's a tougher climb. All the more credit to you. I'm sure you don't need to be protected. But it is generally bad practice to talk about how much you enjoy smoking among people trying to quit or getting about getting high to people trying to get sober.

Ouch! That's a tougher climb. All the more credit to you. I'm sure you don't need to be protected. But it is generally bad practice to talk about how much you enjoy smoking among people trying to quit or getting about getting high to people trying to get sober.
I agree - but only because each person's process might be different from mine.

For me, I stopped trying to convince myself I didn't want to smoke or that I didn't enjoy it. I tried that before and it made me then rationalize that it wasn't a big deal to have a cigarette: I had already quit and I didn't really enjoy it that much so what's the big deal? I was very convincing to myself after a beer or two.

When I finally quit for good (a little over 2 years ago) my internal dialogue was more like: don't even think about having even one because you know you will love it so much and you'll have to go through that difficult process all over again...or even worse, not go through it and never quit again.

So yeah - part of me says don't tempt someone with romantic words about smoking but the other part says he is probably very familiar with pitfalls of temptation and he'd better get used to it and be tough in the face of that temptation or he's doomed to fail anyway.

Last edited:

Additionally I have to hold and dole out my wife's cigarettes or she will smoke a pack in 2 to 3 hours. Either way I am committed. Because I am actually breathing better. I would guess August is one of the ones who does not have major breathing issues. There really are smokers like that.

Additionally I have to hold and dole out my wife's cigarettes or she will smoke a pack in 2 to 3 hours. Either way I am committed. Because I am actually breathing better. I would guess August is one of the ones who does not have major breathing issues. There really are smokers like that.
I ran a marathon while technically still a smoker. I did cut way down and was vaping during the final few months of training.

True story - at age 44.

I agree - but only because each person's process might be different from mine.

For me, I stopped trying to convince myself I didn't want to smoke or that I didn't enjoy it. I tried that before and it made me then rationalize that it wasn't a big deal to have a cigarette: I had already quit and I didn't really enjoy it that much so what's the big deal? I was very convincing to myself after a beer or two.

When I finally quit for good (a little over 2 years ago) my internal dialogue was more like: don't even think about having even one because you know you will love it so much and you'll have to go through that difficult process all over again...or even worse, not go through it and never quit again.

So yeah - part of me says don't tempt someone with romantic words about smoking but the other part says he is probably very familiar with pitfalls of temptation and he'd better get used to it and be tough in the face of that temptation or he's doomed to fail anyway.

Even after going 2 or3 weeks without smoking I still wanted a smoke so badly. What kept me going was how hard it was and how much I craved a smoke that I realized how addicted I really was. So I just concentrated one day at a time. That was 35 years ago and yes even a few years after I quit I still wanted a smoke u til I reached a point that smoke was disgusting to me and I can’t be around any smokers due to COPD.

I live in a world with smokers. My wife for one.

My husband was a smoker and still smoked for a year after I quit. Didn’t. Bother me much.

One thing worse that cigarette smokers are cigar smokers. I tried a cigar a couple of times but I stunk so bad I could hardly stand myself. I don’t like the smell of cigars although my Dad was a stogie smoker and occasionally smoke a regular cigar it didn’t seem to bother me much, I guess because he didn’t smoke that much, as I recall.

I like smoking in public places.

Like when America was great.

Restaraunts, bars, Concerts, wherever. As a free American I have much right to enjoy my concert experience as a non smoker does. Especially at concerts that are clouded with weed fog. Just because I dont enjoy weed but enjoy nicotine should not make me a pariah. Smoke is smoke. I still try to be respectful and not offend by blowing the smoke straight up at the ceiling or the sky. Until you give me a dirty look. Then I will blow it in your face.
America is great and for the most has ałways been great. So you have no excuse. If you or anyone blew smoke in my face I would consider that a personal affront and get in your face.