OT: Quitting Smoking.

RichZ

Methuselah's older brother
No experience myself, but my dad quit a 3 pack (Pall Malls) habit cold turkey when he was about 45. He’ll turn 95 in April and has put 7 grand children and 3 great grand children on his knee.

Be well and good luck.

That's about how many packs of Pall Mall I was lighting every day by the time the heart attack convinced me to quit at 49. No idea how many I actually smoked. A lot of them just burnt down in the ashtray after lighting them when I was busy. That will be 24 years ago on groundhog day, and next to my wife, it was the best decision I ever made. I hope I last like your dad has!

David 76

Forty years a fan
I'm 8 days away from being 2 months free of dipping after 5 years straight. It's such a common thing in the military to do, and being deployed right now has made it even more challenging to quite. What ultimately did it for me was my gums being so sore that it hurt to brush my teeth one night, and then remembering that I have a wife and 3 kids that I'd like to be around for. That was the motivation to quit, but the enabler has been tobacco free pouches. I'm going to try to kick those soon too.
Good luck and thank you for your service.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
I quit dipping about 5 months ago after dipping consistently for about 6 years. In place of dipping, I got a juul, which replaced my dipping addiction. I will say that I don't use the juul as much as I used to dip, so I guess that's something. Not recommending it as a supplement, but I'm starting to get to the point where I don't feel like I need the jul either, so maybe its working. next step is to cut the juul out of my life.

Had my last smoke last night around 940. Woke up and found some 4 year old Nicorrete. Have a bit of anxiety and some serious shakes. The good news is when I cough now I can already feel the difference. Used to cough every morning but struggle to clear my throat. One step at a time.
Good luck on your journey. It gets easier as time goes by and so well worth it. Stick with it.

OK....any tips out there? I am quitting on Wednesday. Last time I made it 28 months. That was over 2 years ago. I kind of have a plan. By that I mean I do, but am open to incorporating any ideas that have worked for you.
Last time I quit I picked up a vape and didn't have a cigarette for a year. Started smoking again and just decided to quit again recently, this time for good. The urge is strong for me when I drink alcohol and after a big meal, a vape gets rid of any urge.

You'll hear mixed things about how healthy vaping is compared to smoking, all I know is any of the phlegm, coughing, gross feeling is gone inside of a month of quitting cigs and vapeing instead. Never really noticed any lung capacity breathing problems associated with smoking but with vaping it seems like lung capacity is also back to where it should be.

I'm not/wasn't a huge smoker but smoked just enough to notice the gross effects of it. I won't say vaping is 100% safe because I don't knoe but I can say antecdotally it's a million times better than smoking regular cigs, you notice it's night and day fairly quickly.

Last time I quit I picked up a vape and didn't have a cigarette for a year. Started smoking again and just decided to quit again recently, this time for good. The urge is strong for me when I drink alcohol and after a big meal, a vape gets rid of any urge.

You'll hear mixed things about how healthy vaping is compared to smoking, all I know is any of the phlegm, coughing, gross feeling is gone inside of a month of quitting cigs and vapeing instead. Never really noticed any lung capacity breathing problems associated with smoking but with vaping it seems like lung capacity is also back to where it should be.

I'm not/wasn't a huge smoker but smoked just enough to notice the gross effects of it. I won't say vaping is 100% safe because I don't knoe but I can say antecdotally it's a million times better than smoking regular cigs, you notice it's night and day fairly quickly.
I have one...hit it a few times....Clearly better than smoking.....but mostly Nicorrete for me.

I quit smoking on November 24, 2000. I know the date because I used Welbutrin, which you take for a period before quitting and you set a quitting date. My last cigarette was on November 23. On the 24th I started using the patch. It wasn't always a walk in the park, but it was not as bad as previous attempts. My wife and I had an added incentive - we had decided to start a family and we did not want to bring a child into a smoking house. I smoked three packs a day, my wife smoked two.

I'd like to comment on the previous statement about your odds of getting cancer being the same as a non smoker 10 years after you quit. According to my oncologists, that is not true at all. That's old science. It's now known that smoking actually changes your body in ways that you can never recover from. One doctor even made the statement that it alters your DNA – I don't know whether he meant that literally. 12 years after quitting, I was diagnosed with bladder cancer, very likely from my smoking. In 2016, I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer, also likely as a result of smoking. Stopping does reduce your risk, but significantly increased risk is something that stays with you for the rest of your life.

Quit. You can do it. And then remain vigilant and on the lookout for any symptoms of cancer. If you need someone to talk to when you're thinking about having "just one" to help you get through something, please PM me for my number.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
OK....any tips out there? I am quitting on Wednesday. Last time I made it 28 months. That was over 2 years ago. I kind of have a plan. By that I mean I do, but am open to incorporating any ideas that have worked for you.

I quit in 1991 cold turkey. I had toothpicks that help me out that were flavored. Of course I gained 50 pounds but still the best thing I have ever done for my overall health.

Good luck

I quit in 1991 cold turkey. I had toothpicks that help me out that were flavored. Of course I gained 50 pounds but still the best thing I have ever done for my overall health.

Good luck
Just passed the 5 day mark. weekend is tough. My wife has stage 7 dementia.....trying my nerves, The week will be easier as I will at work and keeping busy. . Thanks everyone. Using this forum to keep myself accountable.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Just passed the 5 day mark. weekend is tough. My wife has stage 7 dementia.....trying my nerves, The week will be easier as I will at work and keeping busy. . Thanks everyone. Using this forum to keep myself accountable.

I am so sorry about what is going on with your wife as that is a terrible disease for anyone to deal with.

I was never a smoker so I have no advice to offer on that front but I just wanted to stop by and say that I am rooting for you.

Just a little update. Day 10. Getting easier. No nicotine gum or vaping for the past 2 days. Feeling better, especially in the morning when I don't cough for 10 minutes. Have a Cardiologist appointment this morning. He'll be pleased.
Going on 8 years... you got this. Now the hardest part is purging the brain of the “habit smokes” urges.

I'm 8 days away from being 2 months free of dipping after 5 years straight. It's such a common thing in the military to do, and being deployed right now has made it even more challenging to quit. What ultimately did it for me was my gums being so sore that it hurt to brush my teeth one night, and then remembering that I have a wife and 3 kids that I'd like to be around for. That was the motivation to quit, but the enabler has been tobacco free pouches. I'm going to try to kick those soon too.
Thank you for your service, UNation and congratulations. I'm a 20+ year dipper of 2 tins of Kodiak a day. My habit started during my baseball days. Any tips you can share on quitting are much appreciated. I've tried over the years and got as long as a few months and then picked it up again. I'm currently 12 days into a dry January challenge with no booze and feel like a million bucks. One vice at a time but I definitely need to stop the chew before me Scalito teeth start falling out or my lip erodes!

Thank you for your service, UNation and congratulations. I'm a 20+ year dipper of 2 tins of Kodiak a day. My habit started during my baseball days. Any tips you can share on quitting are much appreciated. I've tried over the years and got as long as a few months and then picked it up again. I'm currently 12 days into a dry January challenge with no booze and feel like a million bucks. One vice at a time but I definitely need to stop the chew before me Scalito teeth start falling out or my lip erodes!
Lurker, wishing all the best for you as you try to quit. For me, I’ve found that the addiction was about 20% nicotine and 80% comfort/habit. I still have about 3 or 4 tobacco-free pouches a day. I’ve found that it’s most important for me to have them when I’m in front of a computer or on the road because that’s when I’m tempted the most. Good luck, my friend!!

Day 15. Really starting to breathe a lot better. Cravings were almost non existent when I woke up. Feeling much more confident(but not smug or cocky)about my quit. When coming into work, I took some stairs for a change. No Nicorette or Vaping for over a week. Keep moving forward.
Way to go! Keep it up!! One day at a time. You can do it!