OT: Quitting Smoking.

It may not be for you, but I just flat out quit without using the patches and the like. i was tired of coming home from work with a clogged head from sinus trouble and beat down from the work day. i made it my goal to stop smoking after being a two-packer a day. it wasn't easy, but you just have to stick to it. Best thing I ever did.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
I had my last cigarette in June 1995. I had a tendency to relapse prior to that when I stopped for periods of time. The relapse came when I got ticked off over something (brilliant: "I'll fix them; I'll smoke at it"). So today if I think of having one cigarette say when I see the walls filled with Marlboros in a convenience store I have a mantra (They don't have enough!) to break the tension. Truly they don't have enough because 1 cigarette is all it takes to get hooked again. If I smoke one I would eventually smoke the equivalent of every one in the store. The American Lung Association had a video (21 days to stop smoking) which also was a big help with a day by day walk through withdrawal. Don't worry about weight gain; you can deal with that later. A lot of the effects can be reversed if you stop in time! Check that out for encouragement. Also, seeing people with those oxygen machines today scares me enough. Millions of people have stopped and so can you if you are willing enough. Best wishes! You will be so grateful If you can get past the initial dizziness (that's oxygen!) and mood swings. A lot of people are rooting for you!

What to Expect

I don't smoke but I wish you the best of luck.

I also desperately want to get my wife to quit, sigh. Any ideas on how to go about that?

I quit a little over 2 years ago - August 4, 2016 was my last cigarette - after about 30 years of smoking. I don't have any secret but I would agree it's a personal thing and requires that you commit to quit.

My American buddy from my days in Vietnam is 47 and a smoker - he just found out he has lung cancer. He made arrangements for someone to manage his restaurant in Vietnam and last week he moved back to the States to start treatment.

It doesn't just happen to other people.

One thing that helped was when I realized that smoking was making my life worse. Not only in the future in terms of an early long painful expensive death but in the present - feeling crappy all the time, out of breath, smelling bad, having a bad taste in my mouth, etc., etc.

Last edited:
One thing that helped was when I realized that smoking was making my life worse. Not only in the future in terms of an early long painful expensive death but in the present - feeling crappy all the time, out of breath, smelling bad, having a bad taste in my mouth, etc., etc.
To be clear, I loooooved smoking. And I quit while living in Thailand where cigarettes cost about $2/pack for international brands like Marlboro. But it simply had to be done.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Chantix, Chantix, Chantix. Be ready for some pretty vivid dreams and what not for the first week and a half or so, but then it subsides. It's all really dependent on the person, these are just my experiences. But it REALLY works, and makes the whole process pretty effortless.

Edit: Also, most - if not all insurance carriers provide it to you free of cost once a doctor prescribes it.
I quit for 5 months earlier this year thanks to Chantix. No vivid dreams. Just gradually wasn't missing cigs.

Unfortunately, due to a job loss, not getting interviews due to age and increasing financial woes, went into a bit of depression and picked up the cigs again this fall (wasn't helping that wife was still smoking). Went back on Chantix a month ago and it was working - was under a half pack a day -, but my insurance won't cover it for me any longer since I did three Rxs already this year so I'm off it for now.

There's also the vaping option, which UK medical authorities point out is not nearly as awful as our own FDA/Surgeon General suggests.

Last edited:
I quit for 5 months earlier this year thanks to Chantix. No vivid dreams. Just gradually wasn't missing cigs.

Unfortunately, due to a job loss, not getting interviews due to age and increasing financial woes, went into a bit of depression and picked up the cigs again this fall (wasn't helping that wife was still smoking). Went back on Chantix a month ago and it was working - was under a half pack a day -, but my insurance won't cover it for me any longer since I did three Rxs already this year so I'm off it for now.

There's also the vaping option, which UK medical authorities point out is not nearly as awful as our own FDA/Surgeon General suggests.
Doh, I immediately took UK for U of Kentucky, and thought about a tobacco bias.

RichZ

Methuselah's older brother
OK....any tips out there? I am quitting on Wednesday. Last time I made it 28 months. That was over 2 years ago. I kind of have a plan. By that I mean I do, but am open to incorporating any ideas that have worked for you.
Having a heart attack worked for me. 2/2/95, at 7:30 (give or take) in the evening. I was in my office writing, lit a cigarette, reached for the ashtray, and my arm went numb. Then the gorilla jumped on my chest. Have never wanted one since.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Smoked about pack and 1/2 per day but decided that on my 35th B'day I was going to give it up. That morning I took the pack and threw if in the toilet and flushed - never looked back
Now drinking - that was harder and if not for a medical reason, doubt I could stop (thank God that happened)
The hardest of all the vices? - the stuff they sell legally in Mass - boy do I miss that
GOOD LUCK Madmann - you can do it

Hankster

What do I know.
Stopped cold turkey in 1983. Didn't have the patch then, I don't think. OR any other pill, patch etc. I always woke up in the morning hacking up oysters. Then one day, they were brown. Inquired about it and was told it a good sign of possible cancer very early stages. Well, that was that. Cold turkey. Funny thing, as time went on, I started to smell other people that smoked. Some smelled like they haven't washed their clothes. Still to this day, I stand in a grocery line and take a whiff. I looked at my wife and asked, "was I this bad?". She said "no, you washed your clothes." I never realized until I got my sense of smell and most important, my taste back. In the evening it wasn't bad. Morning coffee, wasn't bad. But then, having a toasted Italian grinder with a beer chaser. The urges began.They came hard and swift. I fought with ever breath I had. My dog was wondering why I was taking him for a walk 8 times a day. When I got my taste back I didn't realize how good that Italian grinder, toasted, xtra mayo and oil, hot peppers roasted peppers. LOL

P.S.-I smoked Marlboro Lights and would switch to Kools from time to time.

Stopping any form of tobacco isn’t easy.

I have no tips. I started dipping in 8th grade and stopped after more than 20 years by just saying I’m done and never dipped again. At one point I was powering through more than a tin of cope a day.

I will tell you from my experience the desire to are-start never goes away. Stay with it.

I can only give you what worked for me. One you have to really want to quit and two you have to really dislike smoking. If you are one of those that say I really want to quit but I like it, any effort is doomed to fail. You have to be all in with yourself.
I would not even comment here but it was New Year's Eve of "99" when I was able to have my last butt. After many failing attempts at quitting it started to make me feel dumb. I went an entire year with a partner that quit at the same time and while at a wedding in a crowd of puffers we agreed to bum a couple. Half hour later embarrased by the bumming (not the smoking) a quick run to the local Mart for ciggarettes. Right back at it full time like I never took a year off. On to smoking for many more years.

The reason I feel I had to hate ciggerettes and dislike them is I felt like they were smarter than myself. Amazed at how they also went with other human nature habits. Cup of coffee (habit) got to have a cigg, break time buzzer everyone goes and lights up. Stressfull moment, time to light one up. Need an extra pack to play cards and drink! I actually got to a point of talking to the ciggerette and saying I'm not going to smoke you! Only to light him up some time later and then feeling dumb. I was no smarter than a bunch of ground tabbaco and some paper. It was this that really botherd me personally.

I spent a year cutting back to a light brand and then to no smoking all day until after work. Yep that first beer and then buy a pack but smoking the evening only. Sept "99" I started a personal mantra of New Year's Eve you are done! I thought it every day and when it came time it was almost easy, a last puff around 11:40 and I threw the rest of the pack away and did not look back. I felt and still feel smarter than the butt. A great feeling of relief, a few hard days when having a beverage yes but no looking back.
Godspeed in your challenge, just by reaching out to others you have taken a very big first step!
Happy New Year

David 76

Forty years a fan
I quit 30 years ago. My soon-to- off-site and I both quit as we were planning our wedding. Almost didn't get married!
My only tip would be to make your last memory of smoking lousy by smoking cig after cig as fast as you can. It really helped the initial hours.
Also, be patient with yourself if you cheat. Better to just get back on the bandwagon asap than beat yourself up and go into a full tailspin.
Good luck to you in 2019!
Happy New Year everyone.

Quit chewing tobacco cold turkey 3.5 years ago after about 9 years of daily use. Physical withdrawal symptoms weren’t too bad for me. It was just the mental aspect. Didn’t use any nicotine replacement products, just tried some of that all natural mint chew for awhile to mimick the experience of the real stuff. Didn’t need it for long though. Maybe a month or two.
I'm 8 days away from being 2 months free of dipping after 5 years straight. It's such a common thing in the military to do, and being deployed right now has made it even more challenging to quit. What ultimately did it for me was my gums being so sore that it hurt to brush my teeth one night, and then remembering that I have a wife and 3 kids that I'd like to be around for. That was the motivation to quit, but the enabler has been tobacco free pouches. I'm going to try to kick those soon too.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Got through 30 years without smoking. Managed to get myself hooked to a Juul for God knows what reason.
I started using a Juul right after I quit cigs the first time and I noticed that it will DEF get you hooked on nicotine.

There’s such a strong hit of nicotine and especially if you’re trying to quit you are hitting that thing hard and often.

I had more of a nicotine desire after just the Juul than with cigarettes.

I like the idea of the Juul but I’m not sure it’s the best avenue. Def not great for kids to be ripping constantly.

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
OK....any tips out there? I am quitting on Wednesday. Last time I made it 28 months. That was over 2 years ago. I kind of have a plan. By that I mean I do, but am open to incorporating any ideas that have worked for you.
No experience, but smoking is bad, expensive and life-threatening, so I wish you luck in quitting.