OT: Quitting Smoking.

I quit 34 years ago. Heavy smoker. Was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done but I stuck with it. Make up your mind you’re going to do it. Get chewing gum! I found those wrapped stirrers that come with drinks are handy to chew on, also sniffing ashtrays . Disgusting I know but so is smoking. Can’t stand the smell on people who smoke. Do whatever it takes. My husband was still smoking at the time which didn’t seem to bother me! But it gave me the ashtrays to sniff.

Good luck.

Chantix, Chantix, Chantix. Be ready for some pretty vivid dreams and what not for the first week and a half or so, but then it subsides. It's all really dependent on the person, these are just my experiences. But it REALLY works, and makes the whole process pretty effortless.

Edit: Also, most - if not all insurance carriers provide it to you free of cost once a doctor prescribes it.

Last edited:
I used Chantix at age 62 and have been 11 years smoke free. The real incentives were knowing my Mom was able quit at age 62 and getting the results of a CT scan for an unrelated issue showing the beginnings of lower lobe emphysema! I wanted to be around to watch my Grandchildren grow up!

Quit chewing tobacco cold turkey 3.5 years ago after about 9 years of daily use. Physical withdrawal symptoms weren’t too bad for me. It was just the mental aspect. Didn’t use any nicotine replacement products, just tried some of that all natural mint chew for awhile to mimick the experience of the real stuff. Didn’t need it for long though. Maybe a month or two.

Dove

Voted Top 100 Funniest Poster in 2001, 2004, 2009
I used Chantix at age 62 and have been 11 years smoke free. The real incentives were knowing my Mom was able quit at age 62 and getting the results of a CT scan for an unrelated issue showing the beginnings of lower lobe emphysema! I wanted to be around to watch my Grandchildren grow up!
Topic/handle (JUULs)

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Quit almost 16 years ago. Last pack I ever bought was b/c of TJ Ford and that stupid *&%ing Texas team in March of 03.

Honestly, I just woke up the next day and felt like cigarettes were gross, and never smoked again. I'm one of the lucky few for whom quitting was relatively easy.

Good luck! It's so worth it.

Gum helped me a lot when I got cravings the first time I quit. Nicotine gum helped quite a bit the second time I quit. I highly recommend it.

Try going for a run on the track. When you realize you're close to death after 2 laps you'll never forget how bad things had gotten. And bring a charged phone and a friend with a nitro prescription.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Quit September 1, 2016. Went cold turkey. The urge to smoke seemed to disappear. I had tried several times before using the patch but nothing seemed to work.

I have had a few episodes were the craving for a smoke has raised its head. Just said to myself "not going to happen."

Best of luck on quitting. Its not easy.

Chantix, Chantix, Chantix. Be ready for some pretty vivid dreams and what not for the first week and a half or so, but then it subsides. It's all really dependent on the person, these are just my experiences. But it REALLY works, and makes the whole process pretty effortless.
If you are prone to depression, be careful if you go this route.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual

Edit: Also, most - if not all insurance carriers provide it to you free of cost once a doctor prescribes it.
I agree, so long as you do not have depression or anything related.

I tried chantix and it worked great ... then I went off it and started up again. For me, the dreams were vivid and awesome, but I’ve also heard about the bad side effects.

If you’re going on your own, good luck. I’m struggling right now, myself. But I’ve been a week or so at this point.

Hans Sprungfeld

Too spicy for the Cesspool
Of course I post this before seeing the above caveats.

It's a serious matter, now 37 years in my rear view mirror after many previous attempts. I wish anyone attempting to address any behavioral or substance issue the best.

But still...

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Quit chewing tobacco cold turkey 3.5 years ago after about 9 years of daily use. Physical withdrawal symptoms weren’t too bad for me. It was just the mental aspect. Didn’t use any nicotine replacement products, just tried some of that all natural mint chew for awhile to mimick the experience of the real stuff. Didn’t need it for long though. Maybe a month or two.
Damn dip is what first started me smoking cigs. Tried to get off dip and picked up cigs. Great trade!

Very timely topic for me. I had emergency carotid surgery (90% blocked) on 12/20 and obviously have quit my pack a day habit. Been 10 days so physically thrrough the tough period. Now its just dealing with a bit of depression. I chew cinnamon Altoids when having an urge. Other than that its just the odd ativan to take the edge off. I go back to work later this week, so that may present new variables.

Dove

Voted Top 100 Funniest Poster in 2001, 2004, 2009
Try going for a run on the track. When you realize you're close to death after 2 laps you'll never forget how bad things had gotten. And bring a charged phone and a friend with a nitro prescription.
This is the Boneyard. We recommend 50 miles and two cell phones.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Very timely topic for me. I had emergency carotid surgery (90% blocked) on 12/20 and obviously have quit my pack a day habit. Been 10 days so physically thrrough the tough period. Now its just dealing with a bit of depression. I chew cinnamon Altoids when having an urge. Other than that its just the odd ativan to take the edge off. I go back to work later this week, so that may present a whole new variables.
Yikes! Glad you’re doing well and I’ll be thinking of ya.

Health is the reason, obviously. I love smoking a good cig.

So, end stage emphysema pretty much goes like this.

Your lungs become unable to take in enough oxygen and expel CO2. You're on oxygen 24 hrs a day and all you can really do is increase the oxygen levels until you eventually hit the max setting. From there, you'll mostly be in hospitals or rehab facilities, struggling to breathe.

The kicker is the CO2. They can try to almost "flush" it from your lungs, but it doesn't really work that well and you get it built up in your muscles, blood and brain. You might hallucinate a bit near the end, and not nice fun trippy ones. Scary ones.

For all the technology and medical innovations, this one is still a pretty brutal disease. You basically sit there in a bed until you stop breathing.

Good luck with quitting.

Another result of smoking is lung cancer. Had it twice, never metastasized, had surgery 2006, 2009. No chemo, caught it early, which is a good thing as I can’t have chemo due to Lupus. Had great surgeons, unfortunately the best one moved to Montana.

I don't know if this helps, but, 35 years ago I decided to quit. I went out and bought a huge bag of the largest lollipops I could find. Every time I felt lie reaching for a cig, I grabbed one of them and popped it in my mouth. Since they took about 15 minutes (and I made sure I eat the flavor that was the most anti-cig, some kind of fruit, rather than anything chocolate, mint or caramel based.) it would get me past the urge.

I think that it took about a week before I wasn't getting that smoking urge, but I kept them close by for about another month.

Good luck!