OT: Quick Break. Whet or Wet Your Appetite? | The Boneyard

OT: Quick Break. Whet or Wet Your Appetite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Readers see it both ways, so which is correct?
Wet (v.) means "to moisten."
Whet means "to stimulate."
It is correct to write that you may (1) whet your appetite or to plan to (2) wet your whistle.
In #1 you describe your increased hunger.
In #2 you intend to have a drink by using "whistle" as a metonym ;) for "mouth."​

A couple more examples of metonymy: "plastic" for credit card; "Washington" for Federal Government. Got the idea? OK, we'll discuss the synecdoche later.;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've always used "whet" my/your/his/their appetite rather that "wet". But I can see the metaphorical phrase using "wet" if the "appetite" is metaphorically parched and simply "moistened" instead of slacked. "Wet" still makes sense.

Whet has the added meaning of "honing" or sharpening, so it could also be used to mean educating, improving or even changing one's appetite.

Reaction Score
I've always used "whet" my/your/his/their appetite rather that "wet". But I can see the metaphorical phrase using "wet" if the "appetite" is metaphorically parched and simply "moistened" instead of slacked. "Wet" still makes sense.

Whet has the added meaning of "honing" or sharpening, so it could also be used to mean educating, improving or even changing one's appetite.
you can whet your taste buds ---but don't wet your pants. If you wet your taste buds you may try to whet your pants.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When I whet my appetite with a nice oloroso sherry, I could say that I am also wetting my appetite as I am moistening those taste buds for the meal to come!

I always thing of 'whet' as 'sharpen' (e.g. whetstone) and whetting ones appetite to be sharpening it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
When I whet my appetite with a nice oloroso sherry, I could say that I am also wetting my appetite as I am moistening those taste buds for the meal to come!

I always thing of 'whet' as 'sharpen' (e.g. whetstone) and whetting ones appetite to be sharpening it.
Yes. Whetting ones appetite makes it keen, which is what honing does. Meaning of course what was once dull becomes sharper, but not yet fully sharp or honed.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I whet my appetite for UConn against Chattanooga by watching the Dayton game again. Then I watched the first few minutes against the Mocs and wet my pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom