OT: Quick Break. Watch Your P's & Q's. . . | The Boneyard

OT: Quick Break. Watch Your P's & Q's. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . and e's & s's.
asinine (only 1 s)
supersede (2 s's)
judgment (one e)
minuscule (2 u's)
One of our star BY posters recently stated that ND's NC loss to UConn was "torturous" (with 2 r's). BINGO! It's the correct word, pronounced "torture us" (which our Huskies sure did!). Not to be confused with tortuous (1 r) ("tor-choo-us") which means difficult or complicated -- like the path to the NCAA NC game.

A couple of Boston sportswriters got careless recently. One said the Red Sox must "make due" with injuries and another lamented the lack of "cache" of some mediocre team.

I'll save the bit about reign-rein, cffect-affect, compliment-complemenr and other homonyms (not homenyms!) for another slow off-season day.Head bang

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
. . . and e's & s's.
asinine (only 1 s)
supersede (2 s's)
judgment (one e)
minuscule (2 u's)
One of our star BY posters recently stated that ND's NC loss to UConn was "torturous" (with 2 r's). BINGO! It's the correct word, pronounced "torture us" (which our Huskies sure did!). Not to be confused with tortuous (1 r) ("tor-choo-us") which means difficult or complicated -- like the path to the NCAA NC game.

A couple of Boston sportswriters got careless recently. One said the Red Sox must "make due" with injuries and another lamented the lack of "cache" of some mediocre team.

I'll save the bit about reign-rein, cffect-affect, compliment-complemenr and other homonyms (not homenyms!) for another slow off-season day.Head bang
OK - got me. I often mess up with 2 of the 4 spellings, did not know how to spell minuscule (but never used it in writing) and don't think I ever thought about supersede. Or made do. Or that there were 2 words to torture us with! I think I know the ones you are offering for the future, but I could be wrong.

Keep it up Kib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS