OT: Quick Break. Oral or Verbal Commitment. . . | The Boneyard

OT: Quick Break. Oral or Verbal Commitment. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . by Charli Collier to UConn?

Strictly speaking, she made an oral commitment to UConn. The distinction is slim, to be sure, but should be observed by professional writers.

Oral is an adjective meaning "by word of mouth," or "spoken, not written." (Yes, there are many other usages, but they are not applicable in this instance.)

Verbal indicates "something to do with words" (e.g., "a verbal order").

Let the celebration continue.:)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. . . by Charli Collier to UConn?

Strictly speaking, she made an oral commitment to UConn. The distinction is slim, to be sure, but should be observed by professional writers.

Oral is an adjective meaning "by word of mouth," or "spoken, not written." (Yes, there are many other usages, but they are not applicable in this instance.)

Verbal indicates "something to do with words" (e.g., "a verbal order").

Let the celebration continue.:)

Mmmm, maybe not on this one Maestro. Take a look definition #3

expressed in spoken words; oral rather than written

Verbal

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Well, Mr. Kibs, she made an oral commitment to the staff during her visit, and then a verbal commitment via twitter when she went public with it, am I write? ;)

Great catch! Strictly speaking -- or precisely communicating;) -- Charli made an oral commitment early (and privately) to Geno, then verified it verbally when she expressed it in words by Twitter.

Oral is limited to spoken words. Verbal focuses on written expression. So thanks, amigo, for your refinement of my OP.

Now I'll go back to homophones.:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So what you are saying is that she made an oral verbal commitment - do I have that right? After all she used words to express herself I believe - otherwise Geno may not have understood her clearly.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well, Mr. Kibs, she made an oral commitment to the staff during her visit, and then a verbal commitment via twitter when she went public with it, am I write? ;)
Write as reign.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken, a "verbal communication" can be either oral or written, since both involve the use of words. My wife, the linguist, confirms.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm worried, didn't she do the same to Texas?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
"Oral" can be verbal or otherwise. We can and do make sounds with our speech mechanism that are clearly not words. We do it rather often. When I clear my throat, it is an identifiable oral sound, yet it is one that defies any spelling.

Also, we unfortunately conflate or mis-define "non-verbal" communication so as to mean "non-vocal" communication. Yet, we know that yawns, snoring, sneezing (etc.) have the potential to communicate. Ask most people what non-verbal communication is, and they will likely reply, "gestures." They aren't wrong, but that most common answer bypasses many actions that are audible.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Well, if you are going to question her character, could you at least wait until she turned 16?
latest

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
as an eighth grader I think.....she's done a lot of growing up since, some not by choice
oh ok, thought it was more recent... thanks for clearing that up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog