OT: question...Thai Restaurants west of the River... | The Boneyard

OT: question...Thai Restaurants west of the River...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My wife and I have been exploring local Thai places recently.

Anybody ever been to Sweet Basil Thai Fusion in Plainville? I guess they opened up last year.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Nope, but I have had a lot recently. My top two are: Hot Basil on New Park in Hartford (somewhat expensive for Thai but BYOB with a corking fee), and King and I on Park (cheap, in a house, BOB without coring fee).

Obviously, Blue Elephant in WH is more of a new relationship place; the two I recommended are joint checking account places.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's not west of the River, but the best Thai food I've had in my life, including those I frequented when I lived in San Francisco, is Terrace Thai on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food is outrageously good--and also quite expensive. The chef, Amy, is from southern Thailand and was trained in France by one of the greats in French cuisine, so her dishes all have amazing, unique sauces. And the hot Thai peppers she gets sent from home are unlike any kind of heat I've ever experienced. Proceed with caution unless/until you've built up a tolerance, but they can adjust the heat to any level of preference.

The Thai curry, Panang Salmon, Roast Duck Curry, Pennywort salad, Larb and anything she does with fresh scallops or prawns are all top-shelf dishes that are unlike anything, anywhere. And their reasonably-priced Sauvignon Blanc from Uruguay goes really well with almost anything on the menu, and helps keep the price from getting too out-of-hand.

Reaction Score
elephant trail in avon, think its owned by the same blue elephant folks. seems popular, also BYOB

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
It's not west of the River, but the best Thai food I've had in my life, including those I frequented when I lived in San Francisco, is Terrace Thai on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food is outrageously good--and also quite expensive. The chef, Amy, is from southern Thailand and was trained in France by one of the greats in French cuisine, so her dishes all have amazing, unique sauces. And the hot Thai peppers she gets sent from home are unlike any kind of heat I've ever experienced. Proceed with caution unless/until you've built up a tolerance, but they can adjust the heat to any level of preference. The Thai curry, Panang Salmon, Roast Duck Curry, Pennywort salad, Larb and anything she does with fresh scallops or prawns are all top-shelf dishes that are unlike anything, anywhere. And their reasonably-priced Sauvignon Blanc from Uruguay goes really well with almost anything on the menu, and helps keep the price from getting too out-of-hand.

Place is awesome, ate there a couple weeks ago for the first time

Reaction Score
On the cheaper side and better for takeout Wallingford has Thai Express which is really good.

Also while its not specifically Thai I also highly recommend Gobi Mongolian Grill in Southington.

Reaction Score
Nope, but I have had a lot recently. My top two are: Hot Basil on New Park in Hartford (somewhat expensive for Thai but BYOB with a corking fee), and King and I on Park (cheap, in a house, BOB without coring fee).

Obviously, Blue Elephant in WH is more of a new relationship place; the two I recommended are joint checking account places.

I'm with WestHartHusk on this. Hot Basil is delicious but expensive. King and I Thai on Park or East West Grill on New Park(across from Hot Basil Almost) are my top two. Blue Elephant is overrated.

Somewhere in Bangkok on the Southington/Plainville line is awesome. Across from the strip club and in a mechanics parking lot but don't let that fool you. Great ambiance, great food, BYOB.

Reaction Score
I'm with WestHartHusk on this. Hot Basil is delicious but expensive. King and I Thai on Park or East West Grill on New Park(across from Hot Basil Almost) are my top two. Blue Elephant is overrated.

Somewhere in Bangkok on the Southington/Plainville line is awesome. Across from the strip club and in a mechanics parking lot but don't let that fool you. Great ambiance, great food, BYOB.

We've been to Somewhere over Bangkok a few times...Love the place...agree...great food, atmosphere, prices...AND it's BYOB. :)

Also been to Sukhothai on Main St. in Manchester. Very nice, though kind of a road trip for us.

Reaction Score
On the cheaper side and better for takeout Wallingford has Thai Express which is really good.

Also while its not specifically Thai I also highly recommend Gobi Mongolian Grill in Southington.

Yes...Been to Gobi a few times. Lots of fun and a great deal. Warning though, don't let your kids tell them it's your birthday.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love the Hot Basil at Hot Basil. Not the stir fry, the one that comes in a shallow bowl with a cone of white rice in the center.

Reaction Score
My wife and I have been exploring local Thai places recently.

Anybody ever been to Sweet Basil Thai Fusion in Plainville? I guess they opened up last year.
Yes, and it was awesome. Get the Drunken Noodles with chicken. Had their scallops too and were quite good.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
King and I Thai on Park Street in Hartford is the best hands down in all of CT, I will wager on that claim.

Reaction Score
I have been to Hot Basil twice and East West Grille a hundred times. I strongly prefer it over Hot Basil. Not much for atmosphere, it's a converted breakfast spot/diner but it's cute and the food is delicious.

A little farther away, I like Green Papaya in Avon.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I'll take Thai food over Chinese any day but the one thing I've noticed is you
Gotta order an appetizer (or two) with Thai food. If you don't you'll be hungry again sooner than later. The portions are too small at the places I've been.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I still say the 6.95 coconut curry soup with tofu and choose your noodle. Is the best food value in the state.
York St noodle house in new haven. They give you trough of it.

Reaction Score
Hot basil on New Park is good. East West Grille was ok the one time I went. Sweet Chili Thai on Park Road in WH isn't bad. Didn't much care for Blue Elephant. Mint Thai in Wethersfield is fairly new and they were pretty good. Sawadee in Manchester is probably my favorite though.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Somewhere Near Bangkok in Southington is very good

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone.....So, we went to Sweet Basil in what used to be a Burger King in Plainville. I kid you not....I had the Mongolian Beef. Very nice. The veggie spring rolls app. was too small. No wonder the waitress was trying to sell us on a 2nd app. We'll go back.
10670244_10206623081485436_7949359734294700001_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky