OT: Purchasing Tires | The Boneyard

OT: Purchasing Tires

Reaction Score
Have an 2014 AWD Truck and have to get all tires replaced. Of course its not the first time, but I basically get good tires at a good price. I can afford expensive tires but just never felt the need.

Car turns, brakes and rides just fine with 'any' tires in CT including winter.

I'm looking at tire names I've never heard of at Pep Boys, Sears, Walmart, etc..

My question is do name brand tires, Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, etc.. really matter especially with a premium price? Also do you guys get the warranty?

Reaction Score
You might want to Google some reviews.

A few years back when I had to buy new tires for one of our cars, I ended up buying 4 new Michelin tires through a local Ford dealership and got a great price with a rebate. Shop dealerships as well before you buy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Discount Tires Direct is having a sale now - just buy 4 tires on sale, get a $100 visa gift card and free shipping on most tires. I just bought truck tires from 4 Wheel Drice Hardware and they were the least expensive - I got my tires for less than $800.

One thing I never cheap out on is tires - I'll shop for the very best deal I can find for known tire brands and there are a lot of good brands out there - I use Tire Rack for user reviews but I don't buy from them.

I pretty well know the tires im going to.buy for my trucks (BFG, Goodyear) - I seem to try new tires for the cars that see summer only duty.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Best deals I have found are generally at either BJ's or Mavis online. With BJs, the warranty is thrown in for nothing.

But do not skimp on tires. Buy good ones.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Agree with Fishy.

I just bought a set of tires last December. Read the reviews on Town Fair, Tire Rack, and even Amazon. Town Fair will match any deal, including online. I bought at Good Year because 1) Town Fair didn't have what I wanted in stock at three stores, 2) timing, and 3) They were cheaper at Good Year, so even with TFT's guaranteed price match, I would have had to wait and I didn't want to risk it during the Winter.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Concur with all the above.

check out the different websites and reviews even if you don't buy from it.

Tires are one of those products where you get what you pay for. a $300 tire is better than a $100 tire. Go mid to upper range and find something you are comfortable putting on truck. Also see pros/cons for each tire. I live down south so I don't care about winter/snow capabilities. Also strongly look in to warranties or other add ons for tire. I look for free tire rotations and free nail/screw repairs when I buy add ons.

Reaction Score
I agree. Just bought 4 new ones last weekend, 2 on order from BJs. Have bought from them before too and very pleased.

It's amazing the range for tires price wise, there were options for $100/tire or $300+

Best deals I have found are generally at either BJ's or Mavis online. With BJs, the warranty is thrown in for nothing.

But do not skimp on tires. Buy good ones.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
BJs tires as mentioned above.

Reaction Score
Best luck I've had for a really good price were Nexen tires (awesome) from a tire shop and Continental from Walmart. Continental has some new lines at Walmart now. Generally, they make a line just for Walmart and I've been very impressed with them. I've purchased Michelins for top dollar, both of these tires seemed to be just as good. If I needed tires today I'd go to Walmart first to see what they had in Continental. If that didn't work out I'd head to Costco, Sam's etc. next, then the tire chains.

Reaction Score
Best used tires . Com is a good way to go. Purchased a set of 4 toyo open country for 13' pathfinder with 80% thread life for $225. Then brought it to local shop and got them installed, balanced, 4 wheel alignment for an extra $100. Paid $325 total vs. $1050 new for the full service mentioned.

Reaction Score
Have an 2014 AWD Truck and have to get all tires replaced. Of course its not the first time, but I basically get good tires at a good price. I can afford expensive tires but just never felt the need.

Car turns, brakes and rides just fine with 'any' tires in CT including winter.

I'm looking at tire names I've never heard of at Pep Boys, Sears, Walmart, etc..

My question is do name brand tires, Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, etc.. really matter especially with a premium price? Also do you guys get the warranty?
Consider how many miles/year and don't plan on them for more than 4 years. The sidewalls start rotting around then even if tread looks good. I'm <12k/year, and looking at General Altimax all-seasons for my SUV. Reviews say good all around, even snow, and good price.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You might want to Google some reviews.

A few years back when I had to buy new tires for one of our cars, I ended up buying 4 new Michelin tires through a local Ford dealership and got a great price with a rebate. Shop dealerships as well before you buy.
I love Michelins and usually get the best price when they are having a sale at Costco.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom