OT: Purchasing Kayak | The Boneyard

OT: Purchasing Kayak

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I went to Collinsville Kayak today looking to gather some info for my first ever kayak purchase. I'm a total beginner and am looking for a kayak that can get through calm waters as well as low level whitewater (probably up to level 3). I was recommended the Dagger Katana 9.7 (link below) but the price point was just too high for me at about 1,100. Anyone on the BY know of similar models at lower price points? Or anyone have a used kayak they're looking to get rid of?

Reaction Score
I went to Collinsville Kayak today looking to gather some info for my first ever kayak purchase. I'm a total beginner and am looking for a kayak that can get through calm waters as well as low level whitewater (probably up to level 3). I was recommended the Dagger Katana 9.7 (link below) but the price point was just too high for me at about 1,100. Anyone on the BY know of similar models at lower price points? Or anyone have a used kayak they're looking to get rid of?

You might find this link helpful.

Kayaks | paddling.com

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Same here. I posted in a kayak forum just a few days ago:

Dagger Redline White Water Kayak

If you aren't going to kayak whitewater, do not get a whitewater kayak. You will hate it. It's made to turn quickly in whitewater, not paddle straight on mild rivers & lakes. You should be looking at a recreational kayak, 12-14 foot length. If you plan to advance your skills and do overnight paddling trips, or do longer distances in moderate conditions, then get a longer touring kayak. Find a local touring kayak or canoe shop and talk with them. See what they offer and test paddle some different kayaks. Then start looking at your local craigslist to see what you can find used that is the same or similar to what you test paddled.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you are new, buy used. There are 3 basic types, whitewater, touring, and open top. Figure out which is best for what you are looking to do and how flexible your body is. I can tell you that ww kayaks are a tight fit and if you aren't comfortable in one for an extended period then you will hate it. If you are not bendy enough you won't be able to master the skills necessary to be anything but an accident waiting to happen.

If you are looking to paddle flat water rivers and lakes, you want a touring kayak. If you are looking to paddle mostly flat, with some moving water (not white water), and maybe some surf, but you aren't travelling long distances, then consider an open top.

Reaction Score
If you are new, buy used. There are 3 basic types, whitewater, touring, and open top. Figure out which is best for what you are looking to do and how flexible your body is. I can tell you that ww kayaks are a tight fit and if you aren't comfortable in one for an extended period then you will hate it. If you are not bendy enough you won't be able to master the skills necessary to be anything but an accident waiting to happen.

If you are looking to paddle flat water rivers and lakes, you want a touring kayak. If you are looking to paddle mostly flat, with some moving water (not white water), and maybe some surf, but you aren't travelling long distances, then consider an open top.
Agree. I rented a few different models from EMS one summer before I bought a used kayak. I don't know if EMS still rents them but it was a great way to find out what kayak I liked at the end of a days paddle.

Reaction Score
Same here. I posted in a kayak forum just a few days ago:

Dagger Redline White Water Kayak

If you aren't going to kayak whitewater, do not get a whitewater kayak. You will hate it. It's made to turn quickly in whitewater, not paddle straight on mild rivers & lakes. You should be looking at a recreational kayak, 12-14 foot length. If you plan to advance your skills and do overnight paddling trips, or do longer distances in moderate conditions, then get a longer touring kayak. Find a local touring kayak or canoe shop and talk with them. See what they offer and test paddle some different kayaks. Then start looking at your local craigslist to see what you can find used that is the same or similar to what you test paddled.

Sounds like you thought it was Tinder:;)

"I'm retired, avg height and weight, and in good shape overall."

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Sounds like you thought it was Tinder:;)

"I'm retired, avg height and weight, and in good shape overall."

For some of us, the Boneyard is the closest thing we have to dating!

Reaction Score
craigslist is always the correct answer
... or OfferUp: a quick search in my area found several reasonably-priced kayaks matching requirements of the OP and other newbies. Plenty of good, lightly used sports equipment is available. Good luck @uconnphil2016

On OfferUp, I found and bought very good quality, lightly to almost non-used sports equipment from local sellers. For example, a 3 year old, barely used Trek hybrid for $75. Even though the owner was a *&#$% Syracuse grad, the bike's appearance, condition, and new tire stub-things supported her claim the bike had only been ridden 4 times. Whether my spouse rides the bike much or not, it's fine as a starter and a respected bike store's tune up of a bike in worse condition might cost almost as much. Worst case, I'm confident the bike can be re-sold for a small profit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
craigslist is always the correct answer
Hmm, one wonders what questions you've asked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom