OT: PSU wins 6th Volleyball National Championship | The Boneyard

OT: PSU wins 6th Volleyball National Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Penn State:WCVB :: UConn:WCBB

PSU is not head and shoulders above everyone. Vball has much more parity. They tied Stanford with 6 NCs. and the committee screwed up big time pitting Stanford and PSU in Elite 8.

Reaction Score
PSU is not head and shoulders above everyone. Vball has much more parity. They tied Stanford with 6 NCs. and the committee screwed up big time pitting Stanford and PSU in Elite 8.

UConn is tied with Tennessee at 8. Just as in the volleyball situation, one team won most of theirs in the 90s and/or earlier, the other in the 00s.

Reaction Score
UConn is tied with Tennessee at 8. Just as in the volleyball situation, one team won most of theirs in the 90s and/or earlier, the other in the 00s.

I know that, been to many Vball F4s. But PSU and Stanford are neck and neck, as are Texas, UW, MN, Purdue, USC, CAL, etc. the matches are nip and tuck vs. blow outs.

Reaction Score
Matches being nip/tuck vs. blowouts sounds like it might be related to the differences in scoring in volleyball, vs. basketball. Imagine how much closer things would seem in basketball if you had to win each half rather than just having the highest end score (i.e., if one team wins each half, then you go to OT).

Penn St. probably had many more of those close matches from 2007-2010 than UConn tends to have, but for all that, their streak of four consecutive championships and 109 matches is more dominating than anything done in NCAA women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Matches being nip/tuck vs. blowouts sounds like it might be related to the differences in scoring in volleyball, vs. basketball. Imagine how much closer things would seem in basketball if you had to win each half rather than just having the highest end score (i.e., if one team wins each half, then you go to OT).

Penn St. probably had many more of those close matches from 2007-2010 than UConn tends to have, but for all that, their streak of four consecutive championships and 109 matches is more dominating than anything done in NCAA women's basketball.

yea, there are way more momentum swings in vball. PSU has benefited from the NCAA selection committee stacking up all the west coast teams in same region as well. Soccer and vball are too cheap to spread talented teams in other regions.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Relax, cardfan, I believe Alex reference was only to recent success and title dominance not anything to do with parity issues. There was about being heads and shoulders those were simply your projection.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Relax, cardfan, I believe Alex reference was only to recent success and title dominance not anything to do with parity issues. There was about being heads and shoulders those were simply your projection.
Actually, there was a stretch where Penn State Volleyball was heads and shoulders, maybe 4 or 5 years ago? when they went on a UConn like win streak.

But in general, there is much more parity; Arizona beat the then #1 team USC earlier this year. While the style of game and scoring affects how the result "looks" - for example 3-0 loss away vs. 3-0 win at home, blow-outs are not everyday things.

What is amazing to me is the strength of the B1G in WBB, similar to the SEC in Softball, having overtaken (or close to overtaking) the PAC as the strongest conference.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, there was a stretch where Penn State Volleyball was heads and shoulders, maybe 4 or 5 years ago? when they went on a UConn like win streak.

But in general, there is much more parity; Arizona beat the then #1 team USC earlier this year. While the style of game and scoring affects how the result "looks" - for example 3-0 loss away vs. 3-0 win at home, blow-outs are not everyday things.

What is amazing to me is the strength of the B1G in WBB, similar to the SEC in Softball, having overtaken (or close to overtaking) the PAC as the strongest conference.

I think you mean WVB, not WBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22