OT: Props to the Vols—great story | The Boneyard

OT: Props to the Vols—great story

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Kids are vicious these days. Good on the Vols.
I tend to think kids have always been vicious when I think back on my fourth grade class. If anything, I’m usually concerned that they aren’t developing enough grit these days, but I like this story and I’m glad for this kid.

I started at a new school in third grade because my widowed father remarried and we moved to another part of town, so I went from a public school in one part of town to a parochial school in another part of town. I didn’t know a soul in my new class and now I had to wear a uniform. I got a haircut during the first week and one of the jackals made so much fun of me that I cried.

45 years later we are still best friends in daily contact even though we live on opposite sides of the country. We were each other’s best man at our respective weddings. So I like that story, too.

Reaction Score
Bullying is very real as I know parents whose kids have been victims with the school not doing nearly enough about it in some cases. This is like torture for the parents. We all know that kids of a certain age can be brutal. The website has crashed at UT because of the national exposure. I hope they sell a million of these.

Reaction Score
Totally am pro not bullying children, but when I read that article and saw the shirt I just about died laughing. It looks like something Charlie Kelly would've made (in green) in fourth grade.

Reaction Score
The difference is you used to be able to leave the bullies when you left school. With social media it never stops. Plus it is so much easier for the more normal kids to be mean when it occurs digitally.
Exactly, kids have always sucked but there is no escaping it now. At least back then at 2:30-3:00 in the afternoon you could get away from it.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Totally am pro not bullying children, but when I read that article and saw the shirt I just about died laughing. It looks like something Charlie Kelly would've made (in green) in fourth grade.
Yeah, I hope I don’t get bullied but the shirt was horrible. Hate to spoil a 2019 anti era/ Hallmark moment but the shirt was awful and awful + kids = teasing for like the past 1000 Years. Suck it up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The difference is you used to be able to leave the bullies when you left school. With social media it never stops. Plus it is so much easier for the more normal kids to be mean when it occurs digitally.
Exactly, kids have always sucked but there is no escaping it now. At least back then at 2:30-3:00 in the afternoon you could get away from it.
Agreed, but I don't think that played a factor here given the ages of the kids involved. I realize that kids are getting phones younger and younger, but I don't think fourth graders are on social media...yet.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Agreed, but I don't think that played a factor here given the ages of the kids involved. I realize that kids are getting phones younger and younger, but I don't think fourth graders are on social media...yet.

I was speaking in general, but you would be surprised.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I hope I don’t get bullied but the shirt was horrible. Hate to spoil a 2019 anti era/ Hallmark moment but the shirt was awful and awful + kids = teasing for like the past 1000 Years. Suck it up.
Dickish but true.

Reaction Score
Don’t agree. But wearing a shirt with a good message plus rooting the team is a nice break from the 10 billion logos that are worn like robots by sports fans. Why wiz on something that’s good?

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Don’t agree. But wearing a shirt with a good message plus rooting the team is a nice break from the 10 billion logos that are worn like robots by sports fans. Why wiz on something that’s good?

Because I’m a Wizzer baby and the shirt is
Awful. This happened at a school. Why not
teach the kid to put a better effort into things by Having the art department help him with a better design along with UT’s art department.
Better story. What about the possible kid that
actually put time in and designed a good shirt at that school.

Reaction Score
Sort of off topic, but was just down there for the BYU game this past weekend. Not surprised by this at all. Friendly people, great place for a football game, and an unreal environment.

Reaction Score
teach the kid to put a better effort into things by Having the art department help him with a better design along with UT’s art department.
You're trying way too hard.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Um, it wasn't an assignment to make your own shirt. They had a "college colors" day at his elementary school where they were supposed to wear shirts from their favorite college. The kid said he was a UT fan but he didn't have a UT shirt, so the teacher told him he could make his own, which he did. He wore it proudly to school and some girls who didn't even participate in the event made fun of him and he took it hard, and he cried. Extreme bullying? No. Life lesson? Sure.

A teaching moment about putting in a better effort? Nope.

Good story? I think so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom