OT:Programming content needed.... | The Boneyard

OT:Programming content needed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I turned on ESPN Radio & caught ColiN Cowherd midrant. I wasn't sure if he was talking about the NBA or MLB & negotiations for new contracts. But here's the salient point.. He talked about how Fox Sports 1 & the NBC Sports Network were starved for programming content & how ESPN was full up. He was speculating about those two networks would overpay for content just to fill live primetime hours. This makes it all the more perplexing that NBC Sports lowballed the AAC such that ESPN had no problem matching with right of first refusal.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Try thinking of it this way. ESPN figures the BE is going to market for any number less than the ACC deal. This was the popular thought. ESPN knowing it can blow up the BE isn't interested in a deal at either price, but knows the BE won't take the first deal because their membership is split on it. (They likely also have Pitt/Cuse in their back pocket for a move to the ACC, but more on that later).

So the BE goes to market, where NBC would love to have the content, but not at the price ESPN floated. Thinking ESPN might not match at their previous price, NBC values it's bid so there is no risk to them (i.e low) and keeps its capital available for better content.

ESPN, now able to match at pennies on the dollar so they can bury content that might have gone to its rivals.

Reaction Score
So I turned on ESPN Radio & caught ColiN Cowherd midrant. I wasn't sure if he was talking about the NBA or MLB & negotiations for new contracts. But here's the salient point.. He talked about how Fox Sports 1 & the NBC Sports Network were starved for programming content & how ESPN was full up. He was speculating about those two networks would overpay for content just to fill live primetime hours. This makes it all the more perplexing that NBC Sports lowballed the AAC such that ESPN had no problem matching with right of first refusal.

My theory - and I whole heartedly admit that my emotions and hopes and optimism are guiding it, is based on a single assumption. We know what assume means, but anyway - Mike Aresco spent a career in sports television and knows what exposure on television is all about. That's the assumption.

SO: Knowing that ESPN had the right to match any first offer made, and that he Aresco would have to accept such a first match - which I think is the case, and was the kicker - the way the contract was written and agreed to by Tranghese - ESPN had the right to match any first offer AND the conference was bound to accept that ESPN offer. It is my understanding that the only way the conference was going to free market, was if ESPN chose NOT to match a first offer.

I don't know if that part is true, if it's not - then the rest of my argument/theory is garbage - if that was the case though.......going with the assumption that Aresco knew what he was doing.

My theory is that Aresco negotiated at length with both Fox and NBC, with the primary focus on television exposure, on network television, primetime viewing slots, and national broadcasts. Knowing that ESPN would either have to agree to put the AAC on in those spots on television to match the offer, or fail to match the offer, and let the conference go to open market. Where those other networks would get what they wanted. THe tradeoff was that to get the contract done, and basically force ESPN to putting AAC football and AAC basketball in prime broadcasting windows and channels, the conference was going to accept a $ contract of pennies on the dollar for what it was worth.

NBC or Fox could have made a fair market value offer for money, but would have had no chance of outbidding ESPN, and ESPN could have put the AAC on espn3.com forever, and shut out their competition for sports broadcasting IF - the initial proposal was not very specific about how and when sports would be broadcasted.

Still remains to be seen, when, how many, and on what channels our football and basketball games will be broadcast by ESPN, and by all accounts so far, we will be in good broadcasting spots, and on national channels - regularly. Remains to be seen if that actually happens, and until it does, or doesn't, this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

If I'm right, then essentially the conference needs to really bank on winning, generating viewership over the next 6 years, so that when the contract is up, we can have the bargaining power to both drive the $ value way up, and remain on national broadcasting in prime windows.

We need to win. As a program, and as a conference.

Reaction Score
Carl Spackler said:
My theory - and I whole heartedly admit that my emotions and hopes and optimism are guiding it, is based on a single assumption. We know what assume means, but anyway - Mike Aresco spent a career in sports television and knows what exposure on television is all about. That's the assumption. SO: Knowing that ESPN had the right to match any first offer made, and that he Aresco would have to accept such a first match - which I think is the case, and was the kicker - the way the contract was written and agreed to by Tranghese - ESPN had the right to match any first offer AND the conference was bound to accept that ESPN offer. It is my understanding that the only way the conference was going to free market, was if ESPN chose NOT to match a first offer. I don't know if that part is true, if it's not - then the rest of my argument/theory is garbage - if that was the case though.......going with the assumption that Aresco knew what he was doing. My theory is that Aresco negotiated at length with both Fox and NBC, with the primary focus on television exposure, on network television, primetime viewing slots, and national broadcasts. Knowing that ESPN would either have to agree to put the AAC on in those spots on television to match the offer, or fail to match the offer, and let the conference go to open market. Where those other networks would get what they wanted. THe tradeoff was that to get the contract done, and basically force ESPN to putting AAC football and AAC basketball in prime broadcasting windows and channels, the conference was going to accept a $ contract of pennies on the dollar for what it was worth. NBC or Fox could have made a fair market value offer for money, but would have had no chance of outbidding ESPN, and ESPN could have put the AAC on espn3.com forever, and shut out their competition for sports broadcasting IF - the initial proposal was not very specific about how and when sports would be broadcasted. Still remains to be seen, when, how many, and on what channels our football and basketball games will be broadcast by ESPN, and by all accounts so far, we will be in good broadcasting spots, and on national channels - regularly. Remains to be seen if that actually happens, and until it does, or doesn't, this is my story and I'm sticking to it. If I'm right, then essentially the conference needs to really bank on winning, generating viewership over the next 6 years, so that when the contract is up, we can have the bargaining power to both drive the $ value way up, and remain on national broadcasting in prime windows. We need to win. As a program, and as a conference.

This is an interesting perspective, I'm impressed. If it is in fact the case, the school presidents all know what the strategy is but we haven't heard a peep about it anywhere. I know it hasn't been long but I'd figure that it would have leaked by now that Aresco doubled down on the future and passed on real money.

Either way, the coverage is in fact pretty good and I can't say this was a bad strategy if in fact it was the strategy. The only way it truly pans out is if the membership stays in tact and wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom