OT - Popularity of "Kelsey" | The Boneyard

OT - Popularity of "Kelsey"

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Couldn't help but notice that on the current page of topics on the BY, there are threads that mention:

Kelsey Bone
Kelsey Lang
Kelsey Mitchell
Kelsey Plum

In 2000 the name Kelsey reached the height of its popularity according to the Social Security Index of names, being only the 88th most popular name. In 2001 it was 99th most popular and has been dropping since, now ranking in the mid 300's.

I'm mildly fascinated by the coincidence that 4 top women basketballers share the same name in a percentage that is far greater than the national norm.

We have had fun on the board with "Breanna" and various variations thereof. Just thought I'd throw this into the mix.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Couldn't help but notice that on the current page of topics on the BY, there are threads that mention:

Kelsey Bone
Kelsey Lang
Kelsey Mitchell
Kelsey Plum

In 2000 the name Kelsey reached the height of its popularity according to the Social Security Index of names, being only the 88th most popular name. In 2001 it was 99th most popular and has been dropping since, now ranking in the mid 300's.
I'm mildly fascinated by the coincidence that 4 top women basketballers share the same name in a percentage that is far greater than the national norm.
We have had fun on the board with "Breanna" and various variations thereof. Just thought I'd throw this into the mix.
IMO it's a stretch to include one (perhaps two) of these, with the qualifier being "top women ballers"-I'll be nice and not specify which ones. I'll be even more kind and say the last is one of my favorite and the style of play of the 2nd to last is among my least favorite.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
IMO it's a stretch to include one (perhaps two) of these, with the qualifier being "top women ballers"-I'll be nice and not specify which ones. I'll be even more kind and say the last is one of my favorite and the style of play of the 2nd to last is among my least favorite.

As always, it's subjective to come up with one's definition of "top" but for the purpose of this thread, consider that last year there were approximately 3,600 Division 1 women's basketball players. For sake of an easier argument, lets say the players are evenly distributed by class - so that there were 900 players who were seniors. The WNBA only drafts 36 players a year. I would submit that any player who gets drafted (or in the case of Mitchell is considered a likely draft pick when she graduates) is a top player, even if they don't make a roster.

These 4 may not all be Diana Turasi or Beanna Steward "top", but they're still way better than average.

BTW, according to NCAA statistics, the probability of getting drafted into the WNBA is lower than for any other major sport (football, MBB, ice hockey and soccer).

Reaction Score
I've taught at college for over twenty years, and it is cyclical. I once had seven(7) different spellings of "Ashley" in one class.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
I've taught at college for over twenty years, and it is cyclical. I once had seven(7) different spellings of "Ashley" in one class.

When I was a cab driver in Boston back in the 1970's, there were 7 different Washington Streets, a legacy of the city's history of annexing territory and not ever changing road names to avoid duplication. I just looked up a list of city street names and it's still the same situation.

To be specific, I'm not referring to Washington St, Washington Ave, Washington Pl, etc. No - seven Washington Streets.

Reaction Score
When my wife's brother named his daughter Kelsey over twenty years ago, I was like, "What kind of name is that? Sounds like a drunken Irishman." Now they're everywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom