OT: poll, which companies you cannot live without them? | The Boneyard

OT: poll, which companies you cannot live without them?

which companies you cannot live without them?

• Google

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • Facebook

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Apple

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Amazon

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Walmart

• Microsoft/ Intel

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Others, please specify

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Google; others: Microsoft/AMD, Big Y for their fish and chips on Friday.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I chose others along with Microsoft and Google. Within those others I couldn't live without the high end audiophile community which consists of the many producers of electronics and transducers (such as VPI, CH Precision, EAR, Kronos, Ayon etc) and the incredible vinyl recordings and hi-rez files I love so much.

Reaction Score
With specific hardware companies, it's hard to say you can't live without them, because if they aren't making something, another company would. Is it more a general question about whether you can live without, say, computers and phones?
It's hard to imagine someone so sad that they can't live without facebook. I guess that's easy to say if you've never really got into it.
For me, I'm leaning towards Google for the information aspect. They also own YouTube, which is pretty important. You basically can learn how to do anything on YouTube. I'm a DIY type. Although I hardly live on YouTube like some people, it's nice to know and important to me that it's there when I need it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I cast for Amazon and Apple, plus other -- the other being, say, electric and gas. We get literally 3-4 deliveries a week from Amazon, and I've been a Mac person since the 80's. I'm forced to use PC's at work and could never imagine having one at home.

Reaction Score
Am surprised only 2 people selected Apple. I am not Apple fan but some of my relatives are really Apple fans. They have i-Phone, i-Pad, i-Pod, Mac and all the Apple products.

One thing I know that i-Phone and i-Pad's camera are excellent products. They can make easy and good shots then my Canon/Nikon.

Reaction Score
I voted for Google, Walmart and Amazon.
The list has an east coast bias. Costco is absent. Others do not make up for it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Another Apple fan here! Like Bigboote - been using an Apple/ Macs since the 1980's. and had to deal with PC's at work - school system - and was not happy. I finally got the board to get Mac's for the music lab we developed. As a musician, Macs are far superior to PC for music software for editing, arranging and composing music. We have 2 Mac laptops, 2 iPads and one desktop in the house along with our iPhones.

Also listed Amazon and Google.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I went with Google and Microsoft.

I know Apple is great, I just don't have their products. Facebook and Amazon are great conveniences. But, one could live without them. While no particular brick and mortar store is a couldn't live without - Costco over Walmart. Heck, Target over Walmart. Not that I've never shopped there, but don't like Walmart's philosophy. Not claiming others are better, just personal choice. Costco, OTH, has an excellent reputation.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Google and Walmart... Wikipedia, Comcast, Eversource and Connecticut Natural Gas are the others. CVS is pretty cool as well

Reaction Score
Another Apple fan here! Like Bigboote - been using an Apple/ Macs since the 1980's. and had to deal with PC's at work - school system - and was not happy. I finally got the board to get Mac's for the music lab we developed. As a musician, Macs are far superior to PC for music software for editing, arranging and composing music. We have 2 Mac laptops, 2 iPads and one desktop in the house along with our iPhones.

Also listed Amazon and Google.

So you were an apple fan and used Icons long before Bill Gates lifed them from another palo alto company. and you were using an os before CPM (which preceeded Dos) --I'm not a fan of either Gate and Jobs , but apple was the firstist with the mostest--In the 80's I was using a board that preceeded the 100 board--and Commodore 64--it was like building Crystal radio's. Before that DEC's PDP-8 and 11 with core memory and cassette storage

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So you were an apple fan and used Icons long before Bill Gates lifed them from another palo alto company. and you were using an os before CPM (which preceeded Dos) --I'm not a fan of either Gate and Jobs , but apple was the firstist with the mostest--In the 80's I was using a board that preceeded the 100 board--and Commodore 64--it was like building Crystal radio's. Before that DEC's PDP-8 and 11 with core memory and cassette storage
Yeah well let's not make this a debate between Apple and Microsoft.

But, too late.

I've made a hobby of computer building for 20 years and the Apple oligarchy turns my stomach. Use these products or else/and no others. I'll take the far more catholic (in the Greek sense) Microsoft approach. There is a reason that 95% of the worlds computers use Microsoft OS. When it comes to music, and editing software well yeah, many of the pros use Apple. But that's because Jobs was the first to embrace that stuff and these pros continue to use stuff like Final Cut through rote. There's plenty of other software that's just as effective and Microsoft can use all of the of it. But these video and music editors used Mac then and they'll continue to pass it on. As a gamer,well. There's not even a little competition. Intel/AMD have the chips and Nvidia/AMD have the cards and they program for Windows. When it comes to big computing Intel/AMD have the big multi core core chips, Nvidia has the cards and Windows rules. Not Mac. Yeah, Mac makes things easy, but ease of use doesn't mean quality. Apple is good for linking with other Apple products, and they make that easy peasey.

As for virus', let's just hope Apple never hits even 20% of the world's usage. Every year they used to hold a competition. They invited some of the better hackers to crack OS's and they were timed. Prizes were given. They finally stopped when year after year Apple was cracked first. Year after year. Windows alternated with Linux for last. Year after year. Why? Window's architecture is huge, deep and layered man. Symantec's says Window's has to fight off 50K new attacks every week and that monolith holds up like nothing else. No other OS could last under that kind of constant pressure,

Reaction Score
So far, no one mentioned Twitter except our ....

Reaction Score
I think I've only done business through Amazon once in an ebay-like third party transaction. I must be on life support if I'm one of the few that can live without Amazon. What am I missing out on?
I wish I had been an original investor in Amazon and held onto shares to this day. I could say the same about Google and Apple, but who woulda thunk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom