OT: Pitt cures HIV. | The Boneyard

OT: Pitt cures HIV.

Reaction Score
Some good news but nothing breathtaking. The new biologics/immunotherapies works against one specific strain of HIV or cancer. Mutations will inevitable develope and you will need a new biologics. That is why we get a new flu shot every yr for Influenza A and B. The strains changes yearly. In terms of cancer, we need to get new tissue for molecular testing every time it recurs. In terms of HIV, you generally need 3-4 maintance meds to prevent mutations. BTW, UPITT is an awesome place. Best transplant center in the country

Reaction Score
Well, OK, it's got to go to clinical trials yet, but the research money will start pouring in now.

Why couldn't UConn do that? It would probably get us in the B1G!
Didnt they "cure" brain cancer with similar treatment like 5 years ago? You read stories like this and then 5 years from now people are still dying. Ill pay mind to this stuff when its actually being used to save lives. Funny thing is if it ever gets to that point it'll likely be only for those who can afford it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Because UConn isn’t in the same league as Pitt. Check NIH funding.

I don’t know all the details behind getting grants, but I know UConn is trying to make big leaps in its grant funded research.

Reaction Score
Didnt they "cure" brain cancer with similar treatment like 5 years ago? You read stories like this and then 5 years from now people are still dying. Ill pay mind to this stuff when its actually being used to save lives. Funny thing is if it ever gets to that point it'll likely be only for those who can afford it.
Yes, the media loves embellishing research findings. Pre-clinical research like this often hits dead ends, e.g. doesn't work in the actual living body. And with immunotherapy especially, there can be deadly side effects because the drugs are so powerful.

Reaction Score
I don’t know all the details behind getting grants, but I know UConn is trying to make big leaps in its grant funded research.
Pitt has a massive, massive multi-billion dollar medical center/health network, whereas UConn has a single ~300 bed hospital in Farmington, so it's really hard to compare. In terms of biomedical research funding/prestige Pitt is a heavy hitter, and there tends to be a lot of "rich getting richer" in terms of where the NIH funds go. That's what makes it so hard for UConn to recruit well-funded professors or for existing UConn profs to get the really big grants.

Reaction Score
Pitt has a massive, massive multi-billion dollar medical center/health network, whereas UConn has a single ~300 bed hospital in Farmington, so it's really hard to compare. In terms of biomedical research funding/prestige Pitt is a heavy hitter, and there tends to be a lot of "rich getting richer" in terms of where the NIH funds go. That's what makes it so hard for UConn to recruit well-funded professors or for existing UConn profs to get the really big grants.
Pitt's been playing the game a long time. Jonas Salk was at Pitt when he developed the first polio vaccine over 60 years ago.

Reaction Score
Got me again internet algorithms...well played
10A22D77-8C23-42D3-891A-969F4238145F.png

Reaction Score
Pitt's been playing the game a long time. Jonas Salk was at Pitt when he developed the first polio vaccine over 60 years ago.
Did it work? I mean who ever hears of polio anymore or even knows someone who has it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Totally self-serving post but, I just accepted a position with Pitt today. I will 8000% wear my UConn # 2 to work and am planning to bring my framed Jimmy C photo to place in my office.

You'll need to get one of KEA standing on the scorer's table. They REALLY hate that. Kemba's stepback is a distant #2.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Totally self-serving post but, I just accepted a position with Pitt today. I will 8000% wear my UConn # 2 to work and am planning to bring my framed Jimmy C photo to place in my office.
You'd be better off with pics of Troutman and Krauser.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom