Ot pilot vs highlander | The Boneyard

Ot pilot vs highlander

Reaction Score
Ok I am leaning toward a 2014 pilot over a 2013 highlander. But not sure. Need to fit 2x front facing car seats. Need a 3rd row split and enough space for a small walker.

My pilot and highlander drivers what are your feelings.

The crystal ball is 74% pilot.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't think you can really go wrong with either, but make sure the Takata airbags have been replaced in whichever one you buy.

We looked at both extensively almost two years ago when my wife finally needed to get out of her Odyssey after putting over 250,000 miles on it. We had initially decided on a used Pilot but after seeing how expensive the used ones were we decided to go with a brand new 2016 Pilot, which turned out to be a much better deal overall considering the financing incentives and maintenance that was included. As I'm sure you know, it's quite a different body style since the redesign, and we both initially preferred the boxier style of the older models. But it drives a lot nicer than they did, and I think it has similar interior space. We've been very happy so far.

Reaction Score
Don't think you can really go wrong with either, but make sure the Takata airbags have been replaced in whichever one you buy.

We looked at both extensively almost two years ago when my wife finally needed to get out of her Odyssey after putting over 250,000 miles on it. We had initially decided on a used Pilot but after seeing how expensive the used ones were we decided to go with a brand new 2016 Pilot, which turned out to be a much better deal overall considering the financing incentives and maintenance that was included. As I'm sure you know, it's quite a different body style since the redesign, and we both initially preferred the boxier style of the older models. But it drives a lot nicer than they did, and I think it has similar interior space. We've been very happy so far.

I love the boxier look but I test drove a new one and it is nice

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I like the Highlander myself. What a radical change in body style. I recall the older Highlanders being almost long like a Suburban. A guy I know who owns the corner family market has a new on me. I could see the back of the store from my house.I said "John nice RAV4". Nope it's a Highlander.

Reaction Score
I like the Highlander myself. What a radical change in body style. I recall the older Highlanders being almost long like a Suburban. A guy I know who owns the corner family market has a new on me. I could see the back of the store from my house.I said "John nice RAV4". Nope it's a Highlander.
You may be confusing it with a different Toyota SUV. The Highlander has never been Suburban-like in size.

I owned a 2005 Pilot, and it was great. Since then we're on our second MDX which has a lot of similarities. I love the way it drives for such a big vehicle. My only complaint is that the tech on the controls and navigation suck. Things take multiple taps to get what you want and the navigation is slow and unintuitive.

We test drove the Highlander and you can't go wrong if it's the right fit for you. They've made it an attractive vehicle, and I believe the interface is better than Honda's. That being said, the reason we went with the MDX is primarily the size. I think the Pilot is the perfect size. Bigger than the Highlander and similar vehicles like the Grand Cherokee, but not quite the size of the giant SUV's. My kids are now 12 and they have no issue going in the 3rd row. Hopefully, the Pilot has the easy fold/slide 2nd row seats like or second MDX has. The 2nd row seat slides forward easily to make the third row easier than accessing the back seat of a two door sedan. The first MDX (or 2005 Pilot) didn't have that and it was a bit tough to access the 3rd row.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hopefully, the Pilot has the easy fold/slide 2nd row seats like or second MDX has. The 2nd row seat slides forward easily to make the third row easier than accessing the back seat of a two door sedan. The first MDX (or 2005 Pilot) didn't have that and it was a bit tough to access the 3rd row.
The new Pilot does. That was also a minor drawback for us when looking at the used Pilots. We had second row captains chairs in our old Odyssey so accessing the third row in that was very easy and my wife was being a stickler on that for a long time because our neighbor has an older Pilot and she didn't like the third row access in that. As you note, the new design is much easier for that.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Guy here at the office drove a Pilot for 190k miles. Says he likes it a lot more than his current Volvo X60.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm always concerned about the old school 5 speed AT in the older V6 Hondas. It doesn't tend to break, but it's not that smooth or efficient either.

Honestly, I'd probably pay up slightly and try to find a 2014 Highlander. It's a fresher design and will have much better resale value than either of the other two. Interior got a nice upgrade as well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The new one is longer and visually looks longer than the old one.

First gen: 185 inches
Second gen: 189 inches
Third (current) gen: 191 inches

Reaction Score
I love the boxier look but I test drove a new one and it is nice

Christ get a used FJ100 - Land Cruiser - it’ll be older than what you’re looking at but man they are great and safe.

It’ll run to 300k+ easily and it’s a stout as they come. The downside the gas mileage blows. But it’s pretty great.

Admittedly I like older iron and am a Land Cruiser guy with 7 mid 70’s Cruisers. We use a 2005 Land Cruiser as my brides winter car and she loves it and she’s coming out of a BMW 7 Series in the summer which means it’s comfortable and manageable size wise.

Reaction Score
We love, love our Highlander. Just big enough [currently driving a suburban as a loaner while my Tacoma has the frame replaced] where it's not huge. Drives smooth plenty of room. Ours is a 2015. Love Toyota's.

Reaction Score
We’ve had a 2013 Highlander limited (bought new) and a 2013 Pilot bought used-have the Pilot now. Here’s my take:

Highlander-better ride, quicker, better interior look on limited, like the wheels better, more room it feels like in second row leg room

Pilot- way way more room overall. But that was big for us. We fill it up with two kids and stuff. Reliability has been good so far. I think it has better visibility.

They get the same mileage for us at least.

Reaction Score
I have a 2017 highlander. 15k miles in and no complaints. It's the XLE version. Captains chairs in the second row. For what it's worth consumer reports has the highlander as the second highest rated SUV.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As for CPO on Hondas, I'm not even sure it's worth it. Their resale value is so high, it almost seems to make more sense to throw in the extra bones for a new one. You get better deals new too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As for CPO on Hondas, I'm not even sure it's worth it. Their resale value is so high, it almost seems to make more sense to throw in the extra bones for a new one. You get better deals new too.
True. And the CPOs are so sought after, dealers like Manchester Honda pay a good price to get them back. I get weekly emails from them about the resale value of my 2015 Fit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can't go wrong with either one. No need to over think it.

Both are reliable and relatively inexpensive to sustain.

When looking for used you know you have limited interior and exterior color choices.

I'm much more about interior than exterior. What's the ease of moving seats around, how easy is third row folding seat, how high is floor behind third row, is the rear hatch auto opening, etc.

Also, need to look at technology on dash board and your mobile devices. Does it interface with Google or Apple? What about Bluetooth? Second and third row power or USB ports?

I know people with both Pilots and Highlanders. They're built for function over form on outside and inside.

I've owned Honda SUV's and Toyota trucks. Currently have a CPO 2016 GMC Acadia Denali.

Not trying to derail thread......Kia Sorrento is a solid option you may be able to buy new at a similar price.

Reaction Score
Can't go wrong with either one. No need to over think it.

Both are reliable and relatively inexpensive to sustain.

When looking for used you know you have limited interior and exterior color choices.

I'm much more about interior than exterior. What's the ease of moving seats around, how easy is third row folding seat, how high is floor behind third row, is the rear hatch auto opening, etc.

Also, need to look at technology on dash board and your mobile devices. Does it interface with Google or Apple? What about Bluetooth? Second and third row power or USB ports?

I know people with both Pilots and Highlanders. They're built for function over form on outside and inside.

I've owned Honda SUV's and Toyota trucks. Currently have a CPO 2016 GMC Acadia Denali.

Not trying to derail thread.Kia Sorrento is a solid option you may be able to buy new at a similar price.

Sorrento trunk area is small?

Reaction Score
Ford Explorer...solid lease...on 3rd one...w/ 3 kids....everything you need.

Reaction Score
Former pilot owner here (gen you’re looking at). Worked great and had decent options. When we had it we only had one kid but as our family expanded we started going to the minivan route. Like said previously resale is high which means if you buy right your true cost of ownership should be low comparitavely to other vehicles.

So what would make me choose the highlander over the pilot? 2 things. 1. The highlander does better in crash test rating and the 14 highlander could be had with crash mitigation warnings which the pilot didn’t have.

Get the highlander.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom