OT: Phishing Alert | The Boneyard

OT: Phishing Alert

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I use Chrome. Signing on and doing a search about 80 minutes ago I got an ostensible Google offer for a 30 second survey and free prize. Greedy bad Rocky .... shipping req'd credit card ... verisign yadda yadda.....card is cancelled, but I feel such the fool. Beware folks the boogey boys and girls are real.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OBTW, the worst of it was 20 minutes of BS with the dullard at the credit card company customer 1-800 number. Yes, I have long since learned that you just plod along with the script, hoping your credit balance has not been drained while they run through their script. Heck, I remember when rotary phones were the norm, not a rewired electronic gimmick you pay more for for your designer LR and actually rising from my chair to change the channel. It was better then.

Reaction Score
I use Chrome. Signing on and doing a search about 80 minutes ago I got an ostensible Google offer for a 30 second survey and free prize. Greedy bad Rocky .... shipping req'd credit card ... verisign yadda yadda.....card is cancelled, but I feel such the fool. Beware folks the boogey boys and girls are real.
Recently every page from Chrome search it will bring me to another ad page, and I have to click twice then it will bring me to the page I want.

Cannot believe Google is getting so disgusting. Am thinking to switch to others.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Recently every page from Chrome search it will bring me to another ad page, and I have to click twice then it will bring me to the page I want.

Cannot believe Google is getting so disgusting. Am thinking to switch to others.

If that's what is happening, color me gone too.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I quit Chrome some time ago. I'm back to Firefox.

RMB - You might look at a different CC company. My credit union has an on line feature that allows me to freeze a card with just one click. A great feature if you misplace a card or think that you have been scammed.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
OBTW, the worst of it was 20 minutes of BS with the dullard at the credit card company customer 1-800 number. Yes, I have long since learned that you just plod along with the script, hoping your credit balance has not been drained while they run through their script. Heck, I remember when rotary phones were the norm, not a rewired electronic gimmick you pay more for for your designer LR and actually rising from my chair to change the channel. It was better then.

You called the customer support rep a dullard. Did you ever wonder what he calls people who have to cancel their credit card for similar reasons? :D:rolleyes:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

If that's what is happening, color me gone too.

Turn pop-ups on or off
  1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More *** then Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  4. Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
  5. Click Popups.
  6. At the top, turn the setting to Allowed or Blocked.

Reaction Score
Turn pop-ups on or off
  1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More *** then Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  4. Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
  5. Click Popups.
  6. At the top, turn the setting to Allowed or Blocked.
Thank you for the help. This is so nice of you.
I have both Popups and Ads blocked already.
My problems do not happen every time. Next time I will check if it is for some specific sites to popup.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You called the customer support rep a dullard. Did you ever wonder what he calls people who have to cancel their credit card for similar reasons? :D:rolleyes:

Hmmm...morons maybe! 'Cuz I sure feel like one. :pHead bang

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not a big fan. But kinda like this one.

Sample In A Jar - Phish

Reaction Score
I have been using the DuckDuckGo search engine for years. It (the tool...and the company) appears to contain less hanky panky than Google and its spawn for reasons I won't touch on here. It's a complicated and shadowy area that powerful Internet companies (social media et al) are in and ever expanding to.

Sometimes I still use Google related services and tools such as Google Maps or "stuff" built into Android phones etc. It is hard to avoid some of these. The vision and breadth of some services/tools/companies (including data gathering) continue to creep and envelope 'the world' of information and communication. While often is very helpful, it is also very very scary. Perhaps those who have a memory can recall when Google was basically just another primitive search engine tool.

Try "DDG" as your main search engine, you might like it. DuckDuckGo — Privacy, simplified.
(BTW, it probably won't protect you from the gotcha you fell for).

PS, I am disappointed that few authorities/governments/companies seem to try/be able to catch and punish some of the myriad of Internet scams and crooks...seemingly not due to be technical problems but also due to politics, jurisdictions, and priority.

Be careful...think thrice any time anything is "free" and/or asks for personal info let alone cc#...but I know you folks all know that. ;)

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

Sounds like you have a virus, Chrome doesn't do that.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1 - While I am aware of all the bad things about Google, Chrome and virtually every web-site, I haven't had any specific problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.

BUT

2 - My main credit card got hacked a couple months ago for the 4th or 5th time. That means a new card number every time, changing the number at various vendors that charge to it - although there are not that many, it is still a pain.

BUT

3 - I have never had a problem with the folks on the Credit Card phone line, and, fortunately have never had to pay for a fraudulent charge.

Sympathies for the struggles, though. Plenty of other frustrating phone calls to be made. DirecTV is horrible, for one.

Reaction Score
Since my son has decided to throw his hat into the ring of cyber security engineering as his major, I have done a bit of reading on the subject.

Most phishing and on line scamming schemes don't involve sophisticated software hacking, they simply use data mining to figure out what motivates or interests you.

The hacker then sets traps to play to the tendencies shown in your on line behavior. This technique is called social engineering and I find it fascinating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom