OT: Philips Hue | The Boneyard

OT: Philips Hue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What an awesome product. Takes some time to get used to. Totally useless but pretty wild if your a techie type.

ForumRunner_20141226_195837.png

Reaction Score
Best cell phone camera on the market, before the Note 4 and Galaxy S5 came out. Needs a flash but it downs out the colors of the lights.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Just busting your chops. I know nothing about the HUE. Why the picture of the ceiling fan? That's what confused me.

Edit: Now that I look again, are you talking about the lightbulbs? I thought you were talking about the TV. I actually just demoed my entire downstairs and am starting from scratch. Had my TV room rewired with all LED fixtures, dimmers, etc. What's the HUE all about and what do they require?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
formerlurker said:
Just busting your chops. I know nothing about the HUE. Why the picture of the ceiling fan? That's what confused me.

Edit: Now that I look again, are you talking about the lightbulbs? I thought you were talking about the TV. I actually just demoed my entire downstairs and am starting from scratch. Had my TV room rewired with all LED fixtures, dimmers, etc. What's the HUE all about and what do they require?

Yes, the lightbulbs. Each bulb is independently programmable with what Phillips says is 16 million colors. That is obviously a marketing statement. You can set up themes where each bulb produces a different color or all the same color. You can have the bulbs change color to music as well or do a strobe light type of flash. Using IFTTT you can set up the lights to do certain things when an event happens. For instance, when there is an in game change during the Giants game, one of the bulbs turns blue.

They are expensive as hell, but really cool. 200 for the starter kit which includes 3 bulbs. Each additional bulb is 60 bucks. PC Richards is running a sale on them right now where you get an extra bulb when purchasing the starter kit.

They don't work off of dimmers. Everything is done from your smartphone.

Reaction Score
minidarren said:
Yes, the lightbulbs. Each bulb is independently programmable with what Phillips says is 16 million colors. That is obviously a marketing statement. You can set up themes where each bulb produces a different color or all the same color. You can have the bulbs change color to music as well or do a strobe light type of flash. Using IFTTT you can set up the lights to do certain things when an event happens. For instance, when there is an in game change during the Giants game, one of the bulbs turns blue. They are expensive as hell, but really cool. 200 for the starter kit which includes 3 bulbs. Each additional bulb is 60 bucks. PC Richards is running a sale on them right now where you get an extra bulb when purchasing the starter kit. They don't work off of dimmers. Everything is done from your smartphone.

My house is loaded with them. Over and under cabinets, recessed lights etc. Really cool for themes when having parties, mood lights late at night or early in the AM etc. The whole set up cost a small fortune but they are fun, efficient and very long lasting so the initial investment was probably worth it. My favorite is the setting I have for when I get up at 5am. Soft blue lights over and under the cabinets that give just enough light to make coffee and find a spot on the couch without any squinting. It is beautiful and very relaxing. I also like sitting in bed and turning off all the lights from my iPad once everyone is settled for the night.

The installation of thousands of dollars worth of lights without my consent is one of the many good decisions my wife has made without my input. She has learned it is better to buy first, explain later.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Needs some Husky blue and white!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads