OT: PGA scoreboard...and one ODD verbal | The Boneyard

OT: PGA scoreboard...and one ODD verbal

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
PGA Championship - Leaderboard

The link is to the last major of the year. Spieth has a chance to get the career grand slam with a win. If he doesn't get it this year, then next year's PGA will have him older than the current youngest ever...Tiger.

I think only 6 have the grand slam....in their whole career. Some of the names who never achieved it are legendary HOF'ers....like Sam Snead [no U.S. Open] and Arnold Palmer [no PGA]. Spieth just turned 24.

I see that a young man....14 years old....entering the 8th grade this September at Hamden Hall..finished 5th in the Northern Junior Golf tournament held at New Haven Country Club. It's a solid course....and Benjamin James of Milford shot 139 for 36 holes....one under. So the kid can clearly play.

Turns out he has already given a verbal to a college. He did that when he was 11....yikes! To what school? UConn....double yikes!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
PGA Championship - Leaderboard

The link is to the last major of the year. Spieth has a chance to get the career grand slam with a win. If he doesn't get it this year, then next year's PGA will have him older than the current youngest ever...Tiger.

I think only 6 have the grand slam....in their whole career. Some of the names who never achieved it are legendary HOF'ers....like Sam Snead [no U.S. Open] and Arnold Palmer [no PGA]. Spieth just turned 24.

I see that a young man....14 years old....entering the 8th grade this September at Hamden Hall..finished 5th in the Northern Junior Golf tournament held at New Haven Country Club. It's a solid course....and Benjamin James of Milford shot 139 for 36 holes....one under. So the kid can clearly play.

Turns out he has already given a verbal to a college. He did that when he was 11....yikes! To what school? UConn....double yikes!

I think there are 5 with the career slam:

Nicklaus 3x

Woods 2x

Hogan

Player

Sarazen

A very select group.

Rory could complete the slam with a win at Augusta, and Phil could do it at the U.S. Open.

We could have 8 in a few years.

Reaction Score
I think Phil is done with winning majors. He had a good shot at winning the US Open
several years ago until he decided to hit driver on the 72nd hole instead of playing it safe.

I will say that the fourth round between him and Stenson at last year's British
Open was perhaps the greatest duel in the history of major golf tournaments.
Phil played a great round, but Stenson was even better.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Phil is done with winning majors. He had a good shot at winning the US Open
several years ago until he decided to hit driver on the 72nd hole instead of playing it safe.

I was at Winged Foot. He hit one drive off a pavilion tent and another in a trash bag in the rough. In fact, he almost hit me. That tourney was the ultimate train wreck as several players had a chance to win with par or even bogey on the 72nd hole. I was with Ogilvy when he stubbed his chip shot late in the round. I thought he was dead, then he chipped in on the next shot.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hopefully the weather will hold up. Supposed to be a good chance of scattered storms Friday and Sunday

Reaction Score

Except for Watson v. Nicklaus at The Open. Turnberry? And they did 36 holes.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Not sure, MH, but I think Bobby Jones is also credited with a career grand slam...albeit with a different set of majors
since he never was a pro. I think the US Am and the British Am counts for him.

A quick google says you are correct....there are 5 who have won the 'modern' grand slam. Jones did win the grand slam of his time and given he was an amateur.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not sure, MH, but I think Bobby Jones is also credited with a career grand slam...albeit with a different set of majors
since he never was a pro. I think the US Am and the British Am counts for him.

A quick google says you are correct....there are 5 who have won the 'modern' grand slam. Jones did win the grand slam of his time and given he was an amateur.
Bobby Jones won everything there was to win and then retired.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To balance Jason Day's debacle, Graham DeLaet, a relatively obscure player from Canada, had a stretch of sublime golf starting on the 13th hole:

13: Nearly aces the par 3, makes the putt for birdie.

14: Nearly aces the par 4, makes the putt for EAGLE.

15: Makes EAGLE on the par 5.

16. Birdies the par 4.

Picks up SIX strokes on par and the field in a 4-hole stretch.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's a tough sport!

Its gonna be a very interesting Final Day.... as you know... the thing about Quail Hollow is that the last three holes are the toughest finishing holes on the PGA. I cant wait to see the Green Mile claim some more victims :D:D:D:D:D

I remember when they announced back in 2010 that they were gonna have it in Charlotte........ it seemed so far in the future... and now.... Sunday is here ... time flies

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Its gonna be a very interesting Final Day.... as you know... the thing about Quail Hollow is that the last three holes are the toughest finishing holes on the PGA. I cant wait to see the Green Mile claim some more victims :D:D:D:D:D

I remember when they announced back in 2010 that they were gonna have it in Charlotte... it seemed so far in the future... and now.... Sunday is here ... time flies
Enjoy! I'll be watching on TV. I'd look for you, but I don't think your avatar is an accurate photo. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom