OT pasta | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT pasta

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Frozen squid that is to be cooked should be soaked in milk overnight. I have had octopus in Greece, Italy and Spain and have never had it when it wasn't like chewing an inner tube.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The big key is salting the water. I always put a pat of butter and a teaspoon of salt for 4 servings.

Now if you want a great spaghetti sauce, it's all in the meat. Get your skillet, touch of oil, start reducing onions, touch more oil, add meat, season to taste. I use garlic, McCormick's SeasonAll, black pepper, red pepper, touch of lemon, salt (lightly)if the meat isn't seasoned right, the rest just doesn't turn out well.
Then add your tomatoes or other base.

So what type of skillet do you use? When I'm cooking meat with onions and other ingredients, I use m big cast iron skillet. Nothing like cooking with cast iron.

Reaction Score
So what type of skillet do you use? When I'm cooking meat with onions and other ingredients, I use m big cast iron skillet. Nothing like cooking with cast iron.

Cast Iron, just don't put tomatoes in them. Acid eats into the season on the cast iron.

Reaction Score
My wife made shrimp scampi yesterday with wine ,roasted red peppers, garlic, spinach, and butter and put it over linguine. she often uses angel hair in the recipe, but we were short on supplies. It was molto buono. Delizioso! Mangiare, mangiare.
Shrimp Scampi, just one of the reasons we know God loves us.

Reaction Score
Is it the taste/flavor or the texture that you don't like?

I'm with all the above posters, that a strongly flavored sauce should mask any strong flavor from the whole wheat pasta. But if it's texture thing, I'm not sure there's much to do about it. A couple above have cited textured sauces like Bolognese (even plain-old meat sauce), but that only goes so far.

My daughter loves beans. All kinds of beans. Except chickpeas. It's a texture thing, no matter what I do with chickpeas (except unrecognizable things like falafel or hummus), she'll never touch them.
The taste...I try to eat healthy...hence whole eat..but now I mix reg pasta and whole wheat pasta..

Reaction Score
Come on people, it's bad enough binge watching the Munsters. Now I have to salivate with all these pictures of everything I love. Ok then, Angel hair with hot sausage, antipasto with fresh Genoa, provolone, and hot cappicola, peppers and cheese, and warm from the oven Italian crusty bread. And for dessert on of my wife's made from scratch chocolate chip cookies. Now, everyone go open a can of Progresso chicken noodle soup.

Reaction Score
Everytime I have tried squid or the little octopus tentacles they are just too chewy. Taste is good, but it drives me nuts how long it takes chewing.
Sorry Garddog, every time I think about trying squid my mind goes back to "Wake Of The Red Witch".

Reaction Score
Cast iron for the meat only for the gravy( sauce ). Gravy(sauce) in a deep stainless steel pot. If you want to make it sweeter drop in two tablespoons of sugar on the sly. Don't let anyone see it. And keep this reply confidential.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We eat a lot of pasta, at least twice a week. Conventional wisdom is that pasta water needs to be heavily salted. When I started a low salt diet I just knew that my pasta dishes would suffer. Not so. Now I never salt pasta water and I can't tell the difference. Neither can anyone else I've cooked for.

Eliminate the salt - it's a good thing. Just ask your cardiologist.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom