OT...P5 Money for WCBB | The Boneyard

OT...P5 Money for WCBB

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I as sit here watching the BC/UNCheat game (yes, rooting for BC to replicate it's earlier season win), I see a woeful BC program and due to my other sports connections, know how bad ALL THE BC sports are just brutal and really do not compete well within the ACC. So my question is what the heck does a school like BC do with all the money it gets from the CFB playoff and then MCBB tournament? Add in the revenue from the ACC network, there is no reason for all their sports to you know, suck.

Likewise for our NJ brethren school-Rutgers. They joined the Big10 and yet all their programs also do not really compete well in the Big10. They too, get great money from the CFB, Big10 Network and MCBB. Where is that money going? I mean CVS had a renaissance year this year but has faded badly and her talent is not coming in after Sciafe leaves.

Talk about doing less with more, the Athletic Departments need to be accountable for their efforts and in Boston, it's just an absolute disgrace.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I as sit here watching the BC/UNCheat game (yes, rooting for BC to replicate it's earlier season win), I see a woeful BC program and due to my other sports connections, know how bad ALL THE BC sports are just brutal and really do not compete well within the ACC. So my question is what the heck does a school like BC do with all the money it gets from the CFB playoff and then MCBB tournament? Add in the revenue from the ACC network, there is no reason for all their sports to you know, suck.

Likewise for our NJ brethren school-Rutgers. They joined the Big10 and yet all their programs also do not really compete well in the Big10. They too, get great money from the CFB, Big10 Network and MCBB. Where is that money going? I mean CVS had a renaissance year this year but has faded badly and her talent is not coming in after Sciafe leaves.

Talk about doing less with more, the Athletic Departments need to be accountable for their efforts and in Boston, it's just an absolute disgrace.
Well, it's always been my belief that football and basketball on all levels are the cash cows for college sports. It enables them to field hockey teams, baseball teams, field hockey, swimming, gymnastics, golf, AND soccer teams.

Reaction Score
Likewise for our NJ brethren school-Rutgers. They joined the Big10 and yet all their programs also do not really compete well in the Big10. They too, get great money from the CFB, Big10 Network and MCBB.

Rutgers actually does not get anything resembling a full share of B1G monies for another 4 years I believe. There is a buy-in period which is only half over.

Reaction Score
Rutgers women's basketball has been respectable, the women's soccer team was excellent last season and the wrestling team isn't too bad........that's about it...............Rutgers was pretty average before they joined the big boys why would you expect any better now? I think the main problem is unlike some of the other big time state schools like Penn State, Ohio State etc, Rutgers just isn't an important part of the average New Jersey resident's sporting life..........this is sad because we have a lot of great athletes that leave the state to go to Penn State, ND, Michigan etc..........

Reaction Score
I remember when BC left the Big East for the ACC money in 2005 and HC Cathy Inglese, 1993-2008, was in tears at the Press Conference that this was decided by Football and Men's BB people with all other sports NOT given a say about the change in conferences! She said the move will ruin BC athletics eventually!
I hope the powers that be love the millions of $ the University makes, because they took a great athletic school and made it stink & embarrassed for the $!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Rutgers women's basketball has been respectable, the women's soccer team was excellent last season and the wrestling team isn't too bad...that's about it.....Rutgers was pretty average before they joined the big boys why would you expect any better now? I think the main problem is unlike some of the other big time state schools like Penn State, Ohio State etc, Rutgers just isn't an important part of the average New Jersey resident's sporting life.....this is sad because we have a lot of great athletes that leave the state to go to Penn State, ND, Michigan etc.....
A few (minor) tweaks:
- Women's soccer has been excellent for a lot more than last season. Actually have the best record over the last 10 years of the RU team sports, and the only B1G in-conference winning record.
- Men's Lacrosse has been good the last couple of years, I don't know if it is sustainable.
- You are correct about RU not being an important part of sporting life, partly due to the lack of success, of course, but in general I think NJ and the multitude of pro sports and other things going on probably have a lot to do with it. In any case, few NJ natives are anxious to play for good old State U.
- As others have said, the money isn't there yet. In a couple of years.

Reaction Score
speaking of Rutgers.....................credit where credit is due......................Rutgers men's basketball beats Minnesota and then perennial power Indiana in Big 10 tournament

Reaction Score
Rutgers women's basketball has been respectable, the women's soccer team was excellent last season and the wrestling team isn't too bad...that's about it.....Rutgers was pretty average before they joined the big boys why would you expect any better now? I think the main problem is unlike some of the other big time state schools like Penn State, Ohio State etc, Rutgers just isn't an important part of the average New Jersey resident's sporting life.....this is sad because we have a lot of great athletes that leave the state to go to Penn State, ND, Michigan etc.....
New Jersey is a great recruiting state for Div.1 Football. That is why they are in Big10.

Reaction Score
New Jersey is a great recruiting state for Div.1 Football. That is why they are in Big10.

that's for sure but also basketball, baseball, soccer, track, volleyball, wrestling etc

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No, they are in the Big10 due to NYC, the media market and the alumni working in financial markets. Where is the Big10 Men’s Tournament being held right now? At MSG and a week ahead of the BigEast because they wanted it in a large media center. Football recruiting grounds are of minor importance compared to that...

Reaction Score
It is all about CFB. The driving force behind college sports. No other reason but keep thinking it.

Reaction Score
It is all about CFB. The driving force behind college sports. No other reason but keep thinking it.

Yep....how many of the P5 football programs lose money...the revenues are because of football so they primarily stay with football....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom