OT/OT: Rebecca Lobo Headed To The CT Women's Hall of Fame | The Boneyard

OT/OT: Rebecca Lobo Headed To The CT Women's Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting story and interviews about Rebecca and co-inductee Jane Pauley prior to the Nov. 2 ceremonies.

Here's a little of Rebecca's interview:

You made history during your career, and now you are history as you prepare for your induction into the Connecticut Women’s Hall of Fame. How does that feel and did you ever imagine it?

As a little girl, I played basketball because I loved the sport. I would shoot hoops in my driveway and my imagination would take me wherever I wanted to go — usually to the Boston Garden hitting game-winners for the Celtics. Since there was no women’s pro league to watch and very few college games on television, I didn’t dream of what I would do as a professional or college player. Entering any hall of fame was never a thought for me.

Where did you get your courage, and did you ever doubt you would achieve what you wanted to?

I don’t think I had athletic success because I was courageous. My mom battled breast cancer for 17 years. She was courageous. But she and my father instilled in me and my siblings a certain work ethic and I think we all take pride in it. I don’t worry about failing. That’s part of life. Doubting success does nothing but impede it.

You have a very public marriage thanks to the combined celebrity of you and your husband, author and sports writer Steve Rushin. What’s the secret to your success?

The secret to our success? That’s funny. I sure wasn’t thinking about that recently standing in the middle of a food court in a crowded Cape Cod mall on a rainy day while my youngest child threw an epic tantrum. We have the same challenges that every family has. Our four children — ages 5, 7, 10, 11 — bring out the best and the worst in us, just like every kid brings that out in their parents as they push for more independence. We just hope to raise them with a strong faith and sense of what is right and wrong. Hopefully they choose right most of the time.

[LINK] to full article

She's quite a lady, and a UConn SUPERSTAR!

Reaction Score
Our four children — ages 5, 7, 10, 11 — bring out the best and the worst in us, just like every kid brings that out in their parents as they push for more independence.
Also don't be afraid to fail----

Words to live by---she was taught to live life --and with failure comes success---

Every thing she said about success and failure and
about parenting ---is spot on---and accurate .
If you don't allow your kid to fail--they may never succeed. Every parent has some issue with kids--that's life, that's what people say---riding high in April--shot down in may..

Reaction Score
Don’t go to a crowded Cape Cod mall on a rainy day with an overtired 5-year-old. It’s a really bad idea.

Every parent has done something similar and has (barely) lived to regret it. Ours was a mall in Florida....

Truly and certainly, by every standard one of the very greatest athletes and people around. What a tribute to have her as a star of UConn's first NC.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rebecca is/was on the UConn Board of Trustees. She's a very intelligent person, as well as an iconic former athlete. She's being inducted with Jane Pauley, which is good company to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom