OT/OT: Humorous Tweet of the Day - 12/01/16 | The Boneyard

OT/OT: Humorous Tweet of the Day - 12/01/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For the uninitiated ( me) is Kentucky Bourbon barrel ale, beer brewed or stored in Bourbon barrel?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
For the uninitiated ( me) is Kentucky Bourbon barrel ale, beer brewed or stored in Bourbon barrel?

As a former packy owner & manager, and a home-brewer, I'd be very surprised if it's brewed in bourbon barrels, due to logistic, production, and sanitation issues. While short-term storage in barrels is more feasible, it's also possible that chips of used bourbon barrels are floated in the ale, prior to the final bottling.

Little beer trivia for you - the reason an IPA is called IPA, is that IPA stands for India Pale Ale. Ale, brewed in England, was stored in oak barrels and put in the holds of sailing ships for the long voyage around Cape Horn. This trip took months, and involved crossing the equator twice, which is not ideal storage conditions for beer. The brewmaster in Olde England would heavily hop the beer, to hide the off-flavors acquired in such a long, warm transportation, and, by the time the boat arrived in India, the months of time spent in oak barrels would also transfer "oaky" notes to the ale. While in the current market, IPA often means "hoppy", the "oaky" quality is often overlooked - although I did know a very local commercial brewer in Mystic who floated oak chips in his company's IPA.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As a former packy owner & manager, and a home-brewer, I'd be very surprised if it's brewed in bourbon barrels, due to logistic, production, and sanitation issues. While short-term storage in barrels is more feasible, it's also possible that chips of used bourbon barrels are floated in the ale, prior to the final bottling.
Little beer trivia for you - the reason an IPA is called IPA, is that IPA stands for India Pale Ale. Ale, brewed in England, was stored in oak barrels and put in the holds of sailing ships for the long voyage around Cape Horn. This trip took months, and involved crossing the equator twice, which is not ideal storage conditions for beer. The brewmaster in Olde England would heavily hop the beer, to hide the off-flavors acquired in such a long, warm transportation, and, by the time the boat arrived in India, the months of time spent in oak barrels would also transfer "oaky" notes to the ale. While in the current market, IPA often means "hoppy", the "oaky" quality is often overlooked - although I did know a very local commercial brewer in Mystic who floated oak chips in his company's IPA.
Thanks very much. Here is what I'm thinking; The use of a Bourbon barrel for any other purpose than to store Bourbon is a highly questionable practice & an unnecessary waste.

Reaction Score
Thanks very much. Here is what I'm thinking; The use of a Bourbon barrel for any other purpose than to store Bourbon is a highly questionable practice & an unnecessary waste.
Slight amendment to your your quality thinking....used US bourbon barrels are often shipped to Ireland and used as part of the Irish Whisky process...visited Jamisons and was surprised to learn that!

Reaction Score
Yes - exactly! The whisky-used aging barrels impart just the right touch of bourbon flavor/aroma. Excellent product. Definitely worth a try for beer drinkers (me) and/or bourbon drinkers

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But by law bourbon barrels can only be used once for bourbon - after that they show up all over the place - in scotland for scotch whisky for example.

Reaction Score
Yes - exactly! The whisky-used aging barrels impart just the right touch of bourbon flavor/aroma. Excellent product. Definitely worth a try for beer drinkers (me) and/or bourbon drinkers

It is. It's also found in Ohio, Dayton and the 'Natti anyway.

The other thing I always have to get when in Lexington is the "hot brown"; never seen one in a gas station though...A hot brown and a couple of bourbon ales makes for a nice evening.

Reaction Score
It is bottled then delivered to the gas stations in a wheel barrel full of ice.

Reaction Score
While in the current market, IPA often means "hoppy", the "oaky" quality is often overlooked - although I did know a very local commercial brewer in Mystic who floated oak chips in his company's IPA.

Beerd?

They make very good IPA's.

Reaction Score

Bourbon should be made in new oak barrels. There are not supposed to be reused to make bourbon. At l add that's what I was told at a bourbon distillery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom