OT: One Of The Best Ever Click Forevers | The Boneyard

OT: One Of The Best Ever Click Forevers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great read- thanks.

I've always been amazed at the effort and level of care provided by all the nurses I've encountered over the years.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Great read- thanks.

I've always been amazed at the effort and level of care provided by all the nurses I've encountered over the years.

You've been fortunate, because there are bad nurses, there are lazy nurses who continuously lean on the other shift nurses, and there are nurses who are addicts and will deprive you of some of your medicine so they can take it themselves or sell it to buy another drug. But, having said that, I'm nursing and nurses biggest fan. If you get to leave the hospital, thank a nurse or 3 or 9.

Reaction Score
You know those Ad sponges, where you have to "turn the page" on line to learn the 4th healthiest fruit, or the 9th best exercise for flat abs? Well, today I stumbled into one worth every click of the mouse. 50 things nurses won't tell you. Trust me, worth every click.

50 Secrets Nurses Wish They Could Tell You

Really good. Doctors and Nurses are HUMAN and make mistakes--don't expect perfection because you won't get it. They do make wrong entries into your chart so check your chart ask for a copy.
Some Nurses only want to be nurses--but they all complain about Doctors --who don't know what they know. Nurses and corpsmen will tell you everything is good --while they think you are dying--calming a patient will at times save their lives. In a hospital, check the meds being given to you--that is your responsibility--hospitals make mistakes. The number of people dying from medical mistakes was just published and it was alarming.
All that said--some of the best people I've met were Nurses. I always thought that the best medical people in the world were NAVY nurses--they were to me!!..

Reaction Score
You've been fortunate, because there are bad nurses, there are lazy nurses who continuously lean on the other shift nurses, and there are nurses who are addicts and will deprive you of some of your medicine so they can take it themselves or sell it to buy another drug. But, having said that, I'm nursing and nurses biggest fan. If you get to leave the hospital, thank a nurse or 3 or 9.
You are correct in all you say about (SOME) nurses. For every lazy one there are 4 that are working--don't expect them to run every minute (you don't). Every occupation likes to be acknowledged--nurses and doctors--if you tip make sure it's more than 50,000 the tip represents the services rendered..

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Back in the 80's I was involved in a very bad car accident which put me in a couple of hospitals for quite a while.

I had not understood the relationship between doctors, nurses and other staff in hospitals, but it did not take long to figure out that the nurses were not only running the hospitals, but were the most necessary part of my health care... They did everything... They kept me alive... and I recovered.

They endure long hours, understaffed positions, uncaring administrators... The list can go on and on with much more...

I have the greatest admiration for them. They are true professionals and deserved of more praise than has been given.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
I sent this onto a couple of nurses whom we are social with... One commented...

"#1 and #47 are so true for me!

And hospitals are filthy! I would never bring a child in to visit and I never wear my work shoes anywhere else except at work.

Also, I love to see the patients come back to visit.

And, nurses aren't waitresses! Neither are mothers (that's what I tell
(my) girls..."I'm neither a maid or a waitress!")"

Amen, I say...

Reaction Score
Nice OT post here Rocky...First I want to say I LOVE Nurses with a special fondness for one which is a guard on a particular colligate basketball team. ;):D

Back to your topic, there are good and bad just as in every other trade in life. I will say though that the nursing field only draws for the most part a very caring person. This leads me to believe the percentage of bad to good / caring workers is much lower than in most other crafts. With multiple hospital stays through out my life span I have only had a couple of negative situations. The most glaring had me refuse a pain med injection from a male nurse that was high as a kite. I told him so and he never said a word, left the room and a different nurse came back.
Now on your thanking a nurse or 3 or 9, I got one for you here. My last stay for a surgery which kept me in the hospital for 5 days left me wondering how to thank the nurses. Flowers? Everybody does that. Chocolates? Some can eat them and some cannot. I wanted something a little more special and went with a sports type award. Went to the local trophy / plaque, shop and had them make up a plaque. This describing the appreciation from a patient for The Dream Team of Unit etc. Wrapped it up and brought it to the wing manager, she gathered all the nurses for the opening of something looking like another box of candy. The WOW factor was overwhelming, as they all had comments of pride. Long story short they were ecstatic and openly stated it was way more to them than candy or flowers. That and something they could display forever that visitors and upper management would see.
In closing on this one, a shout out to all the military nurses serving in some of the most undesirable places on earth!

CTyankee

Reaction Score
A nurses favorite...
FullSizeRender.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics