OT: (On Topic for here?) I have an insurance question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by temery, Sep 7, 2016.

1. temery

temery What?

I decided to go with an asphalt roof. The father of a former student has worked for a roofing contractor for years, and he has given me a price that is $3000 less than all other estimates.

My only reservation that he isn't insured.

I don't want anyone working on my roof without insurance. Is there such a thing as short term liability insurance that I can purchase? I live Murphy's Law (been sued five times). I want to cover my a**, and take care of his family if anything happened.

So ... Is there an insurance product that would help get this done? Can I just up my home owners insurance for a short time?

2. 8893

8893 Curiouser

3. polycom

polycom I heard a beep, who just joined?

I guess the standard would be...is everyone else insured?

However, this. https://media.giphy.com/media/6h4z4b3v6XWxO/giphy.gif

4. Husky25

Husky25 Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.

I think you answered your own question. Without insurance, he's probably not licensed. Without a license there is no accountability. Without accountability, there is a much greater risk of cutting corners. Considering the weather in this state. You'll be paying a lot more than 3 grand to fix any potential F* ups.

JMick, John, donyell34 and 3 others like this.
  5. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Speak with your homeowner's insurance agent. Tell him/her exactly what you're looking to cover. It should be covered under your homeowner's and any umbrella liability insurance you carry, but policies can and do vary. You don't want to be caught fighting an exclusion because you did something you weren't supposed to do. You would want a minimum of $1 million, which wouldn't be enough to compensate someone for most injuries resulting from roofing accidents, but should be enough to discourage most people from coming after your assets above and beyond the policy limits.

Another concern is the quality of the work. What good is a 20 or 30 year roof if there is no one to stand behind it if it fails? Do you need to pull a permit? Can he, if he's uninsured?

nomar and temery like this.
  6. temery

temery What?

I agree, but I know him very well (he's a neighbor). If I hired the company he works for, he'd be the one in charge of installing my roof. I'm not worried about accountability.

That, along with the fact I don't care about any potential problem a few years out ... He's doing the job.

My concern is in the very unlikely event he falls off my roof, I want to be able to take care of his medical bills, and his family.

Back to my question: is there such a thing as a short term liability policy that would cover a potential accident?

7. Husky25

Husky25 Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.

Ever watch To Catch a Contractor? Even friends screw over friends when it comes to C&D.

@8893 has the right idea. Contact your insurance broker to see if he is covered under Property or GL Umbrella. Knowing only enough about insurance to be dangerous, I'm inclined to say not under typical residential homeowners' policies.

8. Beemer

Beemer

I am a licensed insurance agent.

There is no coverage under the Homeowners policy for any injuries a contractor may suffer while working for you. Independent contractors don't normally carry workers compensation for themselves because of the premium. You could purchase a workers compensation policy yourself but that would be pricey too because he is a roofer.

Honestly I'd bite the bullet and get a licensed & insured contractor to do the job. I own property myself and I'd never hire someone without a license or insurance for a big project like that. Too many things can go wrong.

uconnell, JMick, nomar and 5 others like this.
  9. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

Don't you mean: willing to stand under it.

8893 likes this.
  10. Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Da_Aisijimo_Gou

And, setting aside a current, reasonably good relationship with neighbor ...

uconnell and 8893 like this.
  11. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

Make sure you have a written understanding about replacing rotten plywood if roof is old.

12. temery

temery What?

Roof's done. I did end up going with a licensed contractor. I looked into purchasing a policy for my friend to do the job, but was told it would cost 50% of payroll, which is apparently what a roofing contractor pays.

$7,000 for a 650 sq ft house.

Beemer likes this.
  13. temery

temery What?

Good call - It took 20 sheets @$50/sheet. He found broken rafters too. my house is a post WWII. Likely built quickly, and on the cheap side.

Next up is updating the 80 amp electrical fuse box.

14. sledog

sledog

I just had an electrician doing work today who had the power down for 5 hours.

They nickname these guys 'sparky' for good reason. All I can say is watch out for the: BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!!

15. temery

temery What?

That seems like an aweful long time if he was just updating the box. I won't be doing this one myself because they're running a new line (200 amp) and it has to be inspected. Biggest concern is I may be told I have to replace the nob and tube wiring also.

16. jleves

jleves Awesomeness

As you should want to - there's a reason they don't use it anymore. Sure it costs more money, but that should be secondary to your safety.

Beemer likes this.
  17. temery

temery What?

Is it code to require nob and tubing to be replaced when service is updated?

18. Beemer

Beemer

Amen. Most insurance companies will not insure property that has knob & tube wiring.

19. Danzz

Danzz

He has to change out and rewire the box. I just upgraded my 100 amp box and it took about 5 hours. Apparently the most switches you can get with a 100 amp box is 32 but that is more than enough for me.
    The electrician was an old timer who told me going 200 amp is a waste of money for most home owners. He also upgraded the central ac wiring and the cost was under $1000. Other quotes were over $2000.
    The electric company is going to have to come out and run a new line to your house. There is no charge for that. I didn't have to do that but you will with your current 60 amp line. PM me if you want the licensed electrician's name and number.

20. temery

temery What?

Yup. I was told I'd be nuts paying for a 200 amp upgrade for a 650 sq ft house. I might even just stick with my fuse box, for now.