OT: On this Date, in 1960... | The Boneyard

OT: On this Date, in 1960...

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There have been many articles written and studies performed to analyze just how well a batter can track a pitch. Most agree that a normal batter loses focus on the ball about 20 to 15 feet from the plate. Williams, who was reputed to have "the fastest eyes in baseball", said he could generally see the ball until it was just a "few feet" from the plate. I am not an accomplished ball player, never hitting a major league pitcher, but the ability to see the ball that close to the bat must have been his key advantage. He had a beautiful swing, and was an incredibly diligent athlete. But I can only imagine ,and that barely, what it must have been like to his eye. He even claimed that on certain pitches, he actually saw the ball and bat make contact! How exhilarating that would be. The feel of a bat making contact with a god pitch is something one cannot forget, but seeing it! Sounds trivial, but I think that would be near the top of my sports bucket list. Ted was a treasure! :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There have been many articles written and studies performed to analyze just how well a batter can track a pitch. Most agree that a normal batter loses focus on the ball about 20 to 15 feet from the plate. Williams, who was reputed to have "the fastest eyes in baseball", said he could generally see the ball until it was just a "few feet" from the plate. I am not an accomplished ball player, never hitting a major league pitcher, but the ability to see the ball that close to the bat must have been his key advantage. He had a beautiful swing, and was an incredibly diligent athlete. But I can only imagine ,and that barely, what it must have been like to his eye. He even claimed that on certain pitches, he actually saw the ball and bat make contact! How exhilarating that would be. The feel of a bat making contact with a god pitch is something one cannot forget, but seeing it! Sounds trivial, but I think that would be near the top of my sports bucket list. Ted was a treasure! :)
Wasn't it reported once that Williams had a phenomenal 10-20 vision or something like that?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Like another baseball great, the late Tony Gwynn (the last player to come close to batting .400 during a season/ .394 in 1994), Williams (The Splendid Splinter) would happily talk baseball and hitting with anyone, including the average fan. They were both "people" persons, and two of the best hitters in the history of MLB, and loved to talk about hitting.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wasn't it reported once that Williams had a phenomenal 10-20 vision or something like that?
He could see the seams--and maybe count them--on a pitch.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Not sure about that. 20-10 would put you two lines better on the eye chart. Tracking a moving object as it approaches you is particularly difficult as the field of vision angle must widen quickly. It is apparently an ability few possess to degree TW did.
Isn't there just one continuous seam stitching two pieces of hide together? if I am correct, even i could count them! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom