OT: Ohio State WBB Transfers Will Make a Big Difference This Season | The Boneyard

OT: Ohio State WBB Transfers Will Make a Big Difference This Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The article was correct. McGuff has a "powerhouse" this year. He's got some "stallions" this year. He made the sweet 16 last year with less talent than he has this year. The Buckeyes are going to be a tough out this year. UConn has the pleasure of hosting them on BIG Monday December 19 at the XL Center. (TV: CBS-SN) Don't be surprised if OSU arrives in Hartford undefeated. Baring injury, and all other things being equal, don't be surprised to see McGuff's Buckeyes making serious overtures for a FF berth come late March. April. In 2018, tOSU will be hosting the final four in Columbus.

Here's a list of the sites and the hosts for the women's final four for the next 4 years:

• 2017 – American Airlines Center, Dallas (Big 12 Conference, host)
• 2018 – Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Ohio (Ohio State, host)
• 2019 – Amalie Arena, Tampa, Fla. (South Florida, host)
• 2020 – Smoothie King Center, New Orleans (New Orleans, Tulane and Sun Belt Conference, hosts)

Reaction Score
The Ohio State won their exhibition on Sunday by 9 points. And according to their fans they looked like #$%&. They do not play defense and Mitchell is a streak shooter . On paper they look strong, however they play like a poorly coached AAU team.

Reaction Score
The Ohio State won their exhibition on Sunday by 9 points. And according to their fans they looked like #$%&. They do not play defense and Mitchell is a streak shooter . On paper they look strong, however they play like a poorly coached AAU team.

I agree McGuff could have a truly dominant team but he needs his group to play together. Kelsey Mitchell still takes majority of the shots and they don't play team defense. Mavunga is a bright spot for them while Calhoun is knocking off some rust after not playing for 2 years. I'm pumped as ever for the Game on the 14. I think it's will be a good indicator where SC and tOSU are.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Oh....cool. Let's hope they don't figure it out until after they've played UConn. UConn spanked that A** real good last year, holding Mitchell to a season low of 8 points. So I'm thinking they'll be looking for a little payback this time. :cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The article was correct. McGuff has a "powerhouse" this year. He's got some "stallions" this year. He made the sweet 16 last year with less talent than he has this year. The Buckeyes are going to be a tough out this year. UConn has the pleasure of hosting them on BIG Monday December 19 at the XL Center. (TV: CBS-SN) Don't be surprised if OSU arrives in Hartford undefeated. Baring injury, and all other things being equal, don't be surprised to see McGuff's Buckeyes making serious overtures for a FF berth come late March. April. In 2018, tOSU will be hosting the final four in Columbus.

Here's a list of the sites and the hosts for the women's final four for the next 4 years:

• 2017 – American Airlines Center, Dallas (Big 12 Conference, host)
• 2018 – Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Ohio (Ohio State, host)
• 2019 – Amalie Arena, Tampa, Fla. (South Florida, host)
• 2020 – Smoothie King Center, New Orleans (New Orleans, Tulane and Sun Belt Conference, hosts)
And don't be surprised if you see the hallmark of a McGuff team: A bunch of talented players running up and down the court with no offensive scheme beyond 1 on 1, and a lack of good positioning and discipline on defense. As much as you may want you can't be a buddy to your players then have them listen when it comes time to deliver tough love and structure.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Linnae Harper (a great defensive guard at Kentucky) won't be available until the spring semester... so until then, you won't see much defense coming from the Ohio State backcourt.

I would be SHOCKED if Ohio State held SC under 80 points next Tuesday.. we scored 88 last year with a team that IMHO wasn't nearly as good offensively. Although, that game was at home.

We shall see. It will be a fun one.

Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see if he can handle the big egos that come with some of those transfers:cool:.

Reaction Score
November 14th (Monday) will be basketball heaven for women basketball fans.

UConn @Florida State 6 PM ESPN 2
South Carolina @ tOSU 6 PM
UCLA @ Baylor 7 PM
Texas @ Stanford 8PM ESPN 2

Will be some interesting shuffling of the polls on Tuesday.

Except for Muvunga, I like South Carolina's transfers better. It will be interesting to see how Davis do this season.

Reaction Score
November 14th (Monday) will be basketball heaven for women basketball fans.

UConn @Florida State 6 PM ESPN 2
South Carolina @ tOSU 6 PM
UCLA @ Baylor 7 PM
Texas @ Stanford 8PM ESPN 2

Will be some interesting shuffling of the polls on Tuesday.

Except for Muvunga, I like South Carolina's transfers better. It will be interesting to see how Davis do this season.

Meanwhile on Sunday Maryland plays powerhouse UMass Lowell who was 4-24 last year. I doubt the poll voters will pay any attention to the strength of schedule. And they will vote the 4 teams that lose behind the team that beat the Bad News Bears by 100.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yet three years ago we played at South Florida in our opening game and UConn in our third game. So what is the point. We play three top 15 teams in our OOC schedule this season.

Reaction Score
Yet three years ago we played at South Florida in our opening game and UConn in our third game. So what is the point. We play three top 15 teams in our OOC schedule this season.

The point is Freeze schedules a lot of pathetic teams to inflate their record. Actually she scheduled two good teams. Louisville was part of the ACC/BIG 10 challenge.

Reaction Score
The point is Freeze schedules a lot of pathetic teams to inflate their record. Actually she scheduled two good teams. Louisville was part of the ACC/BIG 10 challenge.
Actually Duquesne on the road will be a good test. They made the NCAA and actually won their 1st round game. Duquesne RPI was higher than South Florida, Green Bay, West Virginia and Texas A&M. When you play in the AAC you are forced to play teams in the top 25 in the RPI because most of the teams in your conference are over 100 in RPI (three are over 200). In the Big 10 only 4 of 14 teams are over 100 RPI. 6 out of the 11 AAC teams had worse SOS than the last place Big 10 team. It is not necessary for Maryland to have a monster OOC like UConn. They actually get their competition in conference unlike UConn.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I don't know what the author of the article saw but I watched them play and this is a typical Kevin McGuff-coached team, unfocused on offense and disinterested on defense. Kelsey Mitchell had a bad shooting game which as is usual led to the Lady Bucks having difficulty scoring. There was very little spacing, no cutting and passing seems only to occur if the player with the ball can't get their own shot. Defense is non-existent, Mavunga and the rest of the Bigs will be in constant foul trouble because there is no pressure on the ball out top and the guards only want to leak out for fast break opportunities. This team is unquestionably talented, McGuff is the best recruiter in C-Bus and that includes UFM, but he can't coach very well and this team will suffer because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom