OT: Off-court failures led to fall of OSU hoops from elite status | The Boneyard

OT: Off-court failures led to fall of OSU hoops from elite status

Reaction Score
UConn isn't the only high level program having issues. Besides the arrest of Lyles the rest of it reads like what UConn has been going through. While OSU hasn't quite reached the level of success that UConn has the last 30 years or so it's still a pretty well regarded and successful program. And they're in a major conference so it shows it can happen despite conference affiliation.

Just thought it was interesting reading about their issues because both programs can be righted.

Off-court failures led to fall of OSU hoops from elite status

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
HEARTBROKEN TO READ LOLSU IS STRUGGLING

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Wow. That was like reading a trainwreck. Actually made me feel a little better about our situation. Just a little.

But were they really ever elite? I was in high school when Havlicek and Lucas took them their only NCAA title. Almost 60 years ago! Yeah, they made it to the final 4 in 2012, but unless hand grenades and horseshoes count, that's not really a booster shot for their long since dormant claim to elite status, is it?

Reaction Score
Wow. That was like reading a trainwreck. Actually made me feel a little better about our situation. Just a little.

But were they really ever elite? I was in high school when Havlicek and Lucas took them their only NCAA title. Almost 60 years ago! Yeah, they made it to the final 4 in 2012, but unless hand grenades and horseshoes count, that's not really a booster shot for their long since dormant claim to elite status, is it?
I would not call them elite. But a pretty good program which has had a fair amount of success. They've made the NCAA Tournament most of the time. Final Four in 1999 (lost to some juggernaut from the Big East!), national final in 2007 (lost to Florida) and Final Four in 2012 (lost to Kansas).

Reaction Score
After the mass exodus last year, the message was that it would be better for the program, as those student-athletes didn't have the right attitude to bring Ohio State basketball back. Having knowledge of the situation, that probably holds true, but with Lyle leaving and another season having come and gone without a NCAA tournament birth, it's time to admit there is a bigger problem at hand.

This little paragraph from that article on Matta is exactly why it so important to have success in 17-18 for KO and the staff. C'mon Sidney and Tremont, help us out so the recruiting train can start again at UConn and we don't become Ohio State.

Reaction Score
I would not call them elite. But a pretty good program which has had a fair amount of success. They've made the NCAA Tournament most of the time. Final Four in 1999 (lost to some juggernaut from the Big East!), national final in 2007 (lost to Florida) and Final Four in 2012 (lost to Kansas).
They are typically in the top quarter of a power conference. The Big Ten, while being likely a historically 4th best basketball conference behind Big East, ACC, and Big 12 or Pac 12, has been playing a conference tournament since 1998. In those 18 years, Izzo has won 5 and Matta won 4. They have indeed always been at or near the top of their conference over that span.

Honestly that is kind of mind-blowing that they've only been playing them that long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom