Odell to Cleveland | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Odell to Cleveland

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I get that’s what people think, but no ceo is ever going to act like that. Owners are always involved. And as far as Giants, the Mara’s know football and only started the giants in the 1920s.

Think about how crazy this situation is. After 95 years of football, people are taking the side of a wide receiver over the owner.

The owners are involved. That’s why the team stinks out loud.

At least Dallas stinks for the same reason.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don’t be so black and white on this issue. Lots of owners meddle lightly on personnel. Little here and there....especially in football.

I know owners meddle. To their detriment. And for the record, I'm not talking about owners not wanting to sign types of guys who beat their wives or something. I get GMs going to an owner and asking if it's OK to sign this/that guy based on real character concerns or what have you.

Now take a guy like Kraft for example. He really didn't become a good owner until he learned to step back*. I remember when he forced Parcells to draft Terry Glenn (which was an awful call) and that led to Parcells' famous "shop for the groceries" press conference. Parcells soon left.

One of the conditions Belichick had before he was hired was that he wanted complete control of personnel/football decisions--and this was before Belichick became Belichick. Learning from his past mistakes, Kraft gave it to him.

Kraft's advice to every new owner in the NFL now is to hire the best people, and get out of their way.

You can look at a number of the crappy franchises in sports and they often have a meddlesome owner. Knicks and Jets come to mind quite quickly. (NB: I consider baseball a bit different given no cap)

Owners who like to 'make a splash' in free agency are an albatross to a team.

*if only he had someone to organize his personal life

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t have sources. I am just being a message board savage. But, tell me who wrote that and I will tell you if it is Stop or not. When it was written is an issue too.

Obviously, we all know Tisch family likes the marketing of Odell etc. it’s the Mara’s that are the football people.

Odell is legitimately great. I love the talent. Hard to give that up. But old Giants fans like me have seen them win 4 Super Bowls and plenty of playoff appearances.

People act like Odell was their best talent. I think Barkley is best talent, and best back I saw in college since Barry Sanders. So, that might be just me jumping on the bandwagon.

They had LT and Strahan and plaxico and a young Eli. They have had plenty of superstars.

They will have stars again. Beckham is 5 years left in his career at this level. I think the giants will survive.

Get a QB, a pass rusher and I would like an OT that starts at RT and moves to LT when we cut Solder.
I've never heard one person say Odell is the best talent the Giants have ever had. They had LT for crissakes the best football player ever to strap on pads, IMO.

Odell is the best wideout they ever had.

There is no way around this being a terrible move and the Giants being horribly mismanaged for years now, so you can stop twisting yourself in a pretzel.

Reaction Score
How many star players does Gettleman have to drive away as a GM before he stops getting a pass? We're at at least 4 already, does he need to get to 5?
The Giants only have one more “star player” and he’ll be worn out and worthless in three years. Sad times to be a Giants fan.

Reaction Score
And then you are fired. Guys, this world is far more nuisanced.
That's my point, I'm not working for an owner who's telling me who stays and who goes. Maybe it's because I've seen decades of it fail as a Knicks fan, but it's just not a formula that works

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That's my point, I'm not working for an owner who's telling me who stays and who goes. Maybe it's because I've seen decades of it fail as a Knicks fan, but it's just not a formula that works
The Knicks are an extreme example of what can go wrong. Lots of other organizations have owners involved with a light touch and are not nearly as disasterous. Of course owners should remain as removed as possible, but there are very few that really can and will stay completely out of the way.... especially in football.

And it’s easy to take a hard line on this issue now, but I am rather certain in most circumstances a GM would not. GM jobs don’t fall out of the sky.

Reaction Score
The Knicks are an extreme example of what can go wrong. Lots of other organizations have owners involved with a light touch and are not nearly as disasterous. Of course owners should remain as removed as possible, but there are very few that really can and will stay completely out of the way.... especially in football.

And it’s easy to take a hard line on this issue now, but I am rather certain in most circumstances a GM would not. GM jobs don’t fall out of the sky.
I think we mostly agree on this, I don't have a problem with an owner being involved and in the room for discussions. I just don't like an owner saying this guy stays, this guy goes.

Reaction Score
This is a good smart trade and any Giants fan should be on board with it. Add in the Vernon Trade, and we got two quality starters(and Jabrill has all-pro upside) that play every game and will upgrade their positions significantly. We also got a 1st and a 3rd that will be part of the foundation of our team moving forward, giving us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of a very good draft.

I loved Odell, and we'll always have 'the catch' in Dallas, but he was unreliable due to injury and his persona. Also no one likes mentioning it but he had some big drops the last couple years. Honestly, he doesn't belong on a crappy team and we don't need him to rebuild our team.

You can quibble about the mechanics of it, or previous decisions by Gettleman, but this seems like a pretty strait forward win.

Reaction Score
They gotta get a QB and bite the rebuild bullet. They aren’t good enough on defense to have a 38 year old QB.

Rebuilt offensive line and RB with a good TE and Shepherd is A decent WR on offense. But not dynamic with no Odell and short with depth at WR.

Makes little sense to keep Eli in this scenario. They are going to be bad anyway. Especially on defense.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well all signs point to Eli staying for 2019...at least that is what most media insiders seem to think. The Giants save 5MM by cutting him, but I dont think there are enough available free agents of interest to Gettleman to find a use for the savings..so what's the point. And I am not saying I agree with that POV, just reading the tea leaves about how the Giants seem to be approaching free agency.

The real debate that has to be raging in the front office at this time is how hard to go after Josh Rosen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well all signs point to Eli staying for 2019...at least that is what most media insiders seem to think. The Giants save 5MM by cutting him, but I dont think their are enough available free agents of interest to Gettleman to find a use for the savings..so what's the point. And I am not saying I agree with that POV, just reading the tea leaves about how the Giants seem to be approaching free agency.

The real debate that has to be raging in the front office at this time is how hard to go after Josh Rosen.

Problem with Eli is he will probably lead them to 5-11 - 6-10 again.

I like to win, but they aren’t a playoff team around Eli. To me, getting rid of Odell should mean no more Eli.

You can’t throw Eli out there with only a RB and TE and a suspect right side of the OL.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Problem with Eli is he will probably lead them to 5-11 - 6-10 again.

They need to tank and tank hard. No more fooling around in the 6-10 pick range. Go for number 1 if they don't nab a QB this year.

Reaction Score
Their 3 best receivers now all belong in the slot. I get wanting to spend money but it just doesn't seem to fit a plan.

Also FWIW this possibly reduces a 3rd round comp for Collins

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom