Odell to Cleveland | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Odell to Cleveland

Reaction Score
Giants thought they could win last year that is why they signed him to a long term deal.

They came back to reality last season, realize a rebuild is inevitable, and Odell and his salary weren't going to be a part of it.

I think this is less about off the field issues and more about dumping salary and getting picks on a 2-3 year rebuild.

Reaction Score
Not sure if legit, but rumor is Shurmur is not happy. This had to be a Mara-Gettleman decision. I think Tisch loved Odell too.

It absolutely smacks of Mara and Gettleman. Again, old, stodgy, and out of touch. Everything that Beckham isn't.

I never got the sense Shurmur had much of an opinion on Beckham.

Reaction Score
Yeah there’s so many holes now that Rosen seems ideal if you can get him for a 2020 non first.

My only concern with Rosen is if the Cardinals are willing to give him up for a non-first they must not think highly of him, which is concerning.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah he totally wanted to go to Cleveland. He’s only 26.

He wanted the 49ers or Dallas, but Cleveland would due because its on the upswing. Odell has never said he didn't want to be traded. You have to face up that Odell wanted this....wanted it bad.

He will be 27 in November... and looking at last year's list of top receivers is pretty clear there is a drop off after age 29. Those still productive after 30 is a short list; Edelman, Desean Jackson, Antonio Brown.

I think its 50/50 Beckham is productive after age 30 because he is fragile with a history of hamstring and knee issues...but that does give Cleveland four years.

2018 NFL Receiving | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Reaction Score
No.

They took a shot at it - quite stupidly - thinking Eli for 2 more years with hellacious offensive talent around him. They neglected offensive line.

I would fire the entire lot. I hated Shurmur hiring.

Problem is the Giants don't agree with you. If they did they wouldn't have gave him the long term deal in the first place. Most of Beckham's craziness was pre-deal.

They didn't suddenly decide he was to much to handle, they were fine with it until they found out they had to rebuild.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Problem is the Giants don't agree with you. If they did they wouldn't have gave him the long term deal in the first place. Most of Beckham's craziness was pre-deal.

They didn't suddenly decide he was to much to handle, they were fine with it until they found out they had to rebuild.

So you are not putting any stock in this story from Vacchiano that appears to be straight from Mara and Gettleman?

Odell Beckham Jr. trade: Why Giants decided to deal 'pain in the ass' receiver

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Then why did they trade for the league's highest paid guard?
Because we haven't successfully drafted a guard in 10 years....and because the free agent market sucks for guards and because we want to bolster Barkley's chances to dominate.

Reaction Score
So you are not putting any stock in this story from Vacchiano that appears to be straight from Mara and Gettleman?

Odell Beckham Jr. trade: Why Giants decided to deal 'pain in the ass' receiver

Beckham probably was a pain in the ass, but they could care less if they were a contender, now they are rebuilding and using it as an excuse to dump their best player.

Fan bases don't like seeing their stars get traded away as the team goes full on tank, they're saving some face here.

Reaction Score
Giants thought they could win last year that is why they signed him to a long term deal.

They came back to reality last season, realize a rebuild is inevitable, and Odell and his salary weren't going to be a part of it.

I think this is less about off the field issues and more about dumping salary and getting picks on a 2-3 year rebuild.
They thought they could win with Eli and that makeshift line. That should tell you everything about how insanely stupid they are and that they have no plan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They traded away Vernon to get the guard, not sure what the net was but I bet he was getting paid pretty well.
The net is slightly favorable for the Giants, I believe. But a team with a true rebuilding plan wouldn't spend that much money on a guard.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Beckham probably was a pain in the ass, but they could care less if they were a contender, now they are rebuilding and using it as an excuse to dump their best player.

Fan bases don't like seeing their stars get traded away as the team goes full on tank, they're saving some face here.

Beckham would have been manageable if the Giants had been successful drafting OL the past 5 years. 5 years of busts have meant 5 years of miserable play on offense.

Beckham was poised to become completely unmanageable and so their hand was forced.

Reaction Score
The net is slightly favorable for the Giants, I believe. But a team with a true rebuilding plan wouldn't spend that much money on a guard.
Unless you think the market for guards is just going to continue to rise

Reaction Score

Do you believe the Giants are not rebuilding or just doing a bad job at it?

Reaction Score
I don't mind getting rid of OBJ. I just think it was handled poorly and that they didn't get a good enough return for him. If that 3rd was a 2nd or if we got a future first instead if peppers and a third, I would've been happier with the trade.
But Peppers was a first rounder....and is only 23

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do you believe the Giants are not rebuilding or just doing a bad job at it?
Your guess is as good as mine. They weren't last year. They must be rebuilding now, right?

Reaction Score
I think Gettleman and ownership became smitten with the idea of Beckham, Engram, Barkley and Sheppard on the field together as a means to salvage the pieces already in place. It failed hard right out of the gate with a 1-7 start resulting in Odell reverting to his usual "me" persona. There was a plan last year and it failed. Now Gettleman has moved to plan B.....blow up the team....which pretty much started with the Eli Apple trade last fall.
Another bad move as they didn’t even entertain bridgewater

Reaction Score
He wanted the 49ers or Dallas, but Cleveland would due because its on the upswing. Odell has never said he didn't want to be traded. You have to face up that Odell wanted this....wanted it bad.

He will be 27 in November... and looking at last year's list of top receivers is pretty clear there is a drop off after age 29. Those still productive after 30 is a short list; Edelman, Desean Jackson, Antonio Brown.

I think its 50/50 Beckham is productive after age 30 because he is fragile with a history of hamstring and knee issues...but that does give Cleveland four years.

2018 NFL Receiving | Pro-Football-Reference.com

He never said he didn't want to be traded, ergo he badly wanted to be traded. Nice logic.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He never said he didn't want to be traded, ergo he badly wanted to be traded. Nice logic.

You dont think its odd Odell himself never tried to shutdown the trade rumors? Yeah - he didn't because he wanted it...he was doing what he could do to push it through Jay Glazer.

Odell wants to get to the next level (props to that) and he wasn't going to sit here and wait any longer for the Giants to figure it out. Its pretty damn obvious.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who would want to play with Eli. That guy SUCKS and the entire organization acts like he still living in 2011.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Who would want to play with Eli. That guy SUCKS and the entire organization acts like he still living in 2011.
Yep and thats what this boils down too. OBJ wasn't going to take another year of this.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A lot of the reason is the prior GM stockpiling draft picks with trades that Dorsey was able to use

Sam Hinke method. But still, without the new GM, they wouldn't have made the turnaround. Prior regime was all kinds of inept.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom