OT: October is National Pizza Month | The Boneyard

OT: October is National Pizza Month

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Apologies for being late :oops: .......... but October is National Pizza Month :) Still three more weeks left to celebrate.

I celebrated Friday Night with two pizzas (both mediums cause Im cutting) a thin crust Asian Chicken Pizza..... with Asian Sauce, grilled chicken, red onions, green peppers, and sesame seeds. And one with Pepperoni, ham, italian sausage, ground beef, mushrooms, red onions, and green peppers (told them no olives) .... with a garlic crust. I dont normally go to chain pizza places, but I had a coupon for Hungry Howies.

Go out and celebrate... support your local neighborhood pizza place :cool: You can diet and exercise in November :D

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Enzo's - Montclair New Jersey. Excellent crust. Two main cooks do a good job of listening for subtleties in the order.
Yesterday we went slightly lighter cheese on whole pie, with green peppers all the way around. One half had bacon and the other pepperoni. Made our own green salad with baby orange and red peppers and yellow/orange peppers. Moderately priced chianti. Just excellent all the way around. Yankees lost, but they can fight again tonight and my family's stomachs and taste buds were quite happy. Thanks for reminding me.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Try finding good crust anywhere but NY area.

I'll give some Tucson options if you ever get out here -

NYPD (NY Pizza Delivery) - an Arizona chain. I think their sausage is spot on to the NJ shore. Their pizza is too greasy for me.
Bears Path Pizza - They have the taste down, but an individual slice is enough for 2 meals. But friends said it "isn't greasy enough".
Grandma Tony's Pizza - a side line of the Gaslight Theater I mention. Grandma Tony's wins awards around here. It isn't bad, but there is a hint of thicker crust than NY and it doesn't have NY style topping / texture. Yet, it is surprisingly good.

Past that, haven't found anything notable. Some are edible, but not NY, others are not worth eating at all.

Reaction Score
Apologies for being late :oops: ..... but October is National Pizza Month :) Still three more weeks left to celebrate.

I celebrated Friday Night with two pizzas (both mediums cause Im cutting) a thin crust Asian Chicken Pizza..... with Asian Sauce, grilled chicken, red onions, green peppers, and sesame seeds. And one with Pepperoni, ham, italian sausage, ground beef, mushrooms, red onions, and green peppers (told them no olives) .... with a garlic crust. I dont normally go to chain pizza places, but I had a coupon for Hungry Howies.

Go out and celebrate... support your local neighborhood pizza place :cool: You can diet and exercise in November :D

Asian chicken pizza?? :mad:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're slipping, Triad, but I accept your apology. October 9 and we are just hearing of this?? ;)

2 problems.... my memory isnt what it used to be... and I tend to procrastinate. I've been meaning to go get a bottle of Gingko Bioloba... but I keep putting it off :oops:

Its a once a year thing..... I promise... :oops:

Reaction Score
Was in NYC in August. Quest to find a challenger for Pepe’s New Haven. Went on consecutive days to the original Grimaldi’s in Brooklyn and John’s on Bleeker Street (always a must - some in my fam say if Pepe’s is a 10, then John’s is 10.5). Concensus was Grimaldi’s pepperoni was actually better than John’s (a shocker). But we didn’t hit Pepe’s this trip so question still open. Surprisingly, we have this type of world-class NY pizza in Phoenix - Cibo and Bianco’s for starters.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I once went to California Pizza Kitchen, invited by friends. I had no idea there was a place with pizza in the name where you couldn't get anything I would remotely call a pizza. I think I wound up getting a "barbecue chicken" pie.

I pretty much make my own pizza. I will be traveling this weekend, and have plans to go to a pizza place Friday night. The next couple of weekends I'll be making pizza of some sort. I actually like grilling pizza when the weather is warm -- I don't have to pay to cool the house while heating the oven to 500 degrees. My daughter has a strong preference for the grilled variety.

Reaction Score
I make a lot of my own dough (prefer whole wheat with extra gluten added), but I also love the 'made in store' from Big Y. Ham and pineapple is my favorite.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2 problems.... my memory isnt what it used to be... and I tend to procrastinate. I've been meaning to go get a bottle of Gingko Bioloba... but I keep putting it off :oops:

Its a once a year thing..... I promise... :oops:
I've been thinking about joining Procrastinator's Anonymous, but they never seem to meet. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
o-BEST-CHICAGO-PIZZA-RECIPE-facebook.jpg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hmm if only there was a place on the internet that analyzed and ranked Connecticut pizza places.

Ladies and gentleman I give you the masterwork of off season threads...

The Pizza Thread

100 pages of pizza place debate.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

On my trips to Chicago...... The Giordano's in the Lakeview neighborhood was a frequent choice for that deep dish pie. The first time I went...I was shocked when the waitress told me it would be 45 minutes before the pizza came out. Needless to say... it was worth the wait. You'd be so hungry by the time it arrived... yet 2 slices was my max. :eek: And this was over 20 years ago while I was in my eating prime :eek::eek::eek: I will say though.... it was the rare pie that tasted even better the next day warmed up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gino’s East or Lou Malnati’s deep dish.

“The Lou” may be my favorite. Many people think it was named after Malnati. Actually, he named it after a future UConn superstar.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thursday night is pizza night here: Gourmet Vegetarian with a heavy sprinkling of chicken :D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I heard it explained once that deep dish pizza is not a pizza, it’s a casserole. But it’s a great casserole.

That makes sense.. Casseroles always taste better the next day :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom