OT: NYT--Beloved in Kentucky, but Benched for the Wildcats | The Boneyard

OT: NYT--Beloved in Kentucky, but Benched for the Wildcats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Interesting read from today's NYT re Dominique Hawkins and the dynamic of playing for a team that may be "too good for its own good." I particularly enjoyed this passage:
Enter Calipari, who was hired before the 2009 season. He had reached the Final Four with Massachusetts and Memphis (both trips were later vacated after the N.C.A.A. found violations) and was renowned for recruiting the country’s top prospects.

And found these interesting (and likely illustrative of why we remain in conference purgatory):
It would be difficult to prove that there is a state more obsessed with college basketball than Kentucky. Louisville — which, of course, has its own major program, coached by its own storied coach, Rick Pitinois set to be the Nielsen-metered market with the highest college basketball ratings on ESPN for the 12th straight year.
According to The Louisville Courier-Journal, Calipari and Kentucky’s football coach, Mark Stoops, used nearly half a million dollars in private jets for recruiting purposes during the 2013-14 season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/s...click&contentCollection=Sports&pgtype=article

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Interesting read from today's NYT re Dominique Hawkins and the dynamic of playing for a team that may be "too good for its own good." I particularly enjoyed this passage:

And found these interesting (and likely illustrative of why we remain in conference purgatory):

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/s...click&contentCollection=Sports&pgtype=article
There is nothing near kentucky for the people to do besides college basketball. CT people watch the pro football, pro basketball, pro hockey, pro baseball. If they're not watching they're going going to the events or cities. That being said if uconn is working to get the aau membership I believe that will help. I think kids are going to want to play more and will not all go to uk especially when they see what happened to Hawkins and wiljter

pj

Reaction Score
On a side note; it's senior day for UK today. Should be emotionally riveting for everyone.

I believe they're replacing it with Freshman Day, to make sure everybody gets celebrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom