OT: NYC Marathon....Yes...Shalane Flanagan! | The Boneyard

OT: NYC Marathon....Yes...Shalane Flanagan!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
First time in 40 years...an American won the NYC Marathon!
She was very emotional at the end. There were hints that if she won this she might retire....maybe she is around 36? She calls herself a 'Boston Girl'....she is from the eastern part of the state.
I hope she sticks around for the Boston race in April 2018 for her last one.

Reaction Score
We know how hard the UCONN women train to be as good as they are....but, Shalane's training program is insane. Glad to see that it paid off. Nice to see how one's dreams can become true.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I saw her run in the 3200 meters in the Mass. high school state championship at Smith College....maybe 18 years ago.
She blew away the field....and I saw one woman yelling very specific things to her as she went by...like her pace etc.
I chatted with her...turned out it was her Mom. I read much later that the Mom ran the marathon for Australia back in the day.
Good genes!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Shalene! She has had a decorated career. She's has been the U.S. record holder in some events and has Olympic and world championship medals. She's really tough and uber fit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I saw her run in the 3200 meters in the Mass. high school state championship at Smith College....maybe 18 years ago.
She blew away the field....and I saw one woman yelling very specific things to her as she went by...like her pace etc.
I chatted with her...turned out it was her Mom. I read much later that the Mom ran the marathon for Australia back in the day.
Good genes!

More than good Genes, great Genes (see Wikipedia blurb)

Flanagan's parents are both accomplished runners. Her mother, Cheryl Treworgy, is a former marathon world record holder (as Cheryl Bridges – 1971) and a five-time U.S. World Cross Country Championship participant. Her father, Steve Flanagan, was also a U.S. World Cross Country Champion participant and marathon runner (PR 2:18).

Reaction Score
I‎t still baffles me how the field allowed Flanagan to be with the leaders at 20 miles. Especially when the first 20 miles were pretty slow. Nobody in that field could realistically match her 10k closing speed. She executed a masterful race plan and gets a well deserved major win.

The future of USA distance running looks very bright with (Huddle, Hasay, Sisson, etc). Should be fun to watch going forward!

Reaction Score
Good genes!
Congratulations to Shalane ! Her father, Steve Flanagan, ran cross country and track for Uconn back in the late sixties.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom