OT:NYC Day Trip | The Boneyard

OT:NYC Day Trip

Reaction Score
Last minute trip, I am taking the train into NY tomorrow with family and am trying to plan a nice day without doing any real research. We are looking to do a nice museum and a nice lunch. My initial thought was Gotham Bar and Grill for lunch and Museum of Natural History but they aren't close at all. I am also all ears for any underrated stops, either things to do or places to eat.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Walk the High Line and grab lunch at Chelsea Market.

If the weather is nice this is a great idea. The (new) Whitney is at the bottom of the High Line, if you want to hit a museum too.

Reaction Score
It is going to be unbearable heat and humidity tomorrow. Forget the High Line. Stick to air conditioned venues.

Reaction Score
Museum of Natural History is massive. You could do it and it's worth it but that's a pretty full day to get through it.

Reaction Score
Last minute trip, I am taking the train into NY tomorrow with family and am trying to plan a nice day without doing any real research. We are looking to do a nice museum and a nice lunch. My initial thought was Gotham Bar and Grill for lunch and Museum of Natural History but they aren't close at all. I am also all ears for any underrated stops, either things to do or places to eat.
Calle Ocho and the milling room are both really good restaurants right by the museum if you want.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would avoid Chelsea Market. Way too crowded and not enough places to actually eat your food.

The High Line would be a good idea, it's free, outdoors and they recently extended it all the way up to around 34th street.

You could walk from Grand Central to the midtown entrance, walk the full length and then get food at Corner Bistro which is right around the corner. Corner Bistro is a no fills (cash only) burger place, but it's pretty famous and has around $12 burgers and cheap $5 beers.

Not sure if the trip includes little kids or older folks, but that would be a cool trip for the day.

Reaction Score
Lunch at Mickey Mantle's and up the east side of the park to the Met (best museum in America).

Oops Mantle's is now closed. Too bad, nice place.

Reaction Score
What did you end up doing?

Too hot for High Line. I've walked segments years ago but on the to-do for a Fall trip. We ended up tooling around in the Museum of Natural History for a good 4 hours, which meant skimming about half the exhibits. Amazing place, been there a number of times, but doesn't get old. Done Chealsea Market, liked the burger @ Corner Bistro years ago. Lunch @ Atlantic Grill, which was thoroughly mediocre. Should have checked out Calle Ocho. I was pretty set on the museum, unless there was a an amazing rec I had never heard of so I was mainly phishing for restaurant recs, which I ignored because I am a dummy. I really wanted to go to one of the non-Ko Momofuku spots but couldn't swing it.

Reaction Score
Too hot for High Line. I've walked segments years ago but on the to-do for a Fall trip. We ended up tooling around in the Museum of Natural History for a good 4 hours, which meant skimming about half the exhibits. Amazing place, been there a number of times, but doesn't get old. Done Chealsea Market, liked the burger @ Corner Bistro years ago. Lunch @ Atlantic Grill, which was thoroughly mediocre. Should have checked out Calle Ocho. I was pretty set on the museum, unless there was a an amazing rec I had never heard of so I was mainly phishing for restaurant recs, which I ignored because I am a dummy. I really wanted to go to one of the non-Ko Momofuku spots but couldn't swing it.

With so many choices in the City - the food is always the hardest choice if you want to try something new/different.

Reaction Score
With so many choices in the City - the food is always the hardest choice if you want to try something new/different.

Totally agree. I would typically spend a while surfing for a gem on Chowhound or something of that ilk but I was too lazy and it was too late. I settled for something on the way towards AMNH with a wide menu that came recommended by a friend but it was just an o.k. 5.5/10. Killer desert, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom