OT: Notre Dame Favored to Win ACC Title | The Boneyard

OT: Notre Dame Favored to Win ACC Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Louisville may be the only one's that can stop the Irish...in the ACC.
That's reality for ya... I wouldn't be surprised if they won the ACC tourney for the foreseeable future.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Louisville may disagree with this prediction

Who do YOU think will win the ACC tournament? It's hard to tell right now. We haven't seen anybody yet. There will be no mystery by mid-February. We'll all know by then. The cream of the ACC will have risen to the top.
Right now, it's a toss up. Notre Dame will field a good team. I'm pretty sure Louisville and Syracuse will also field a good one as well. Don't sell Florida State short. As far as ND winning the ACC, I'm from Missouri............:cool:

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'd take Turner over Hines-Allen all day, but of course *I* would. This Blue Ribbon Panel had her as POY last year so no surprise they gave her preseason POY this year. The coaches had Turner as POY last year.

I did a side-by-side of some of their stats (conference games only) mostly for my own edification. Hines-Allen's stats are in superior in some respects. One big difference is that Turner is a much more efficient scorer.

upload_2016-10-12_12-8-42.png

Reaction Score
I'd take Turner over Hines-Allen all day, but of course *I* would. This Blue Ribbon Panel had her as POY last year so no surprise they gave her preseason POY this year. The coaches had Turner as POY last year.

I did a side-by-side of some of their stats (conference games only) mostly for my own edification. Hines-Allen's stats are in superior in some respects. One big difference is that Turner is a much more efficient scorer.

View attachment 16125

You know the decision makers could care less about efficiency.............. Tiffany Mitchell?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You know the decision makers could care less about efficiency.... Tiffany Mitchell?

I am hopeful the tide is turning somewhat. Ogwumike winning MVP over Charles is a positive sign in that regard.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Florida St is always a wildcard.

In other news, ACC tournament moved from Greensboro to Myrtle Beach.

And a good wildcard FSU should be. Leading scorer Shakayla Thomas is back, as is third-leading scorer and floor leader, Leticia Romero. Adut Bulgak is now with the New York Liberty, but they've got a 6'3" frosh, Jasmine Walker, coming aboard and caught a break when 6'3" transfer from Illinois Chatrice White, was cleared to play this year. White seemingly took half of Illinois' shots last year, but seemed to have to, so it will be interesting to see how she fits in. If she does, this could be a stronger team than expected.

I also like Miami, who return all four of their leading scorers: Adrienne Motley, Jessica Thomas, Keyona Hayes and Emese Hof, the 6'3"sophomore center from the Netherlands who was playing very well by season's end. Like usual, Miami has brought in two four-star (Prospects Nation) internationals: 6'5" center Serena-Lynn Geldorf from Belgium and 6'1" wing Sarah Mortensen from Denmark, via Long Island Lutheran for a year.

Syracuse will once again throw waves at people, but will be interesting to see who powers those waves, given they've had some graduation losses. And Louisville brings virtually everyone back, plus some more key recruits, but that seems to me to be kind of the issue: chemistry. How and who stands up at crunch time in those tight regular-season and tournament games.

As for the Irish, I very much look forward to see how Erin Boley and Jackie Young are integrated into the mix. Should be interesting....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Florida St is always a wildcard.

In other news, ACC tournament moved from Greensboro to Myrtle Beach.

1428578997900669.jpg

Hopefully its just a one time deal... and it returns to its rightful place in 2018

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I agree with Orangutan, but as I stated in the other thread, it's always debatable and sometimes people don't like going with the obvious choice.

My thoughts are why is Louisville getting such attention, certainly not because they have shown anything to warrant that attention. But as we saw with Shoni Shimmel, it doesn't always come down to quality ;)

Reaction Score
I agree with Orangutan, but as I stated in the other thread, it's always debatable and sometimes people don't like going with the obvious choice.

My thoughts are why is Louisville getting such attention, certainly not because they have shown anything to warrant that attention. But as we saw with Shoni Shimmel, it doesn't always come down to quality ;)

Well they have a heck of a lot of talent including one of the top players in all of college basketball in Hines Allen and had a pretty impressive record last year...........they should certainly be rated a top ten team this year

Reaction Score
I'd take Turner over Hines-Allen all day, but of course *I* would... Hines-Allen's stats are in superior in some respects. One big difference is that Turner is a much more efficient scorer.

View attachment 16125

Turner was great but she was surrounded by great shooters and got many more open shots. Hines-Allen excelled as a shot maker/creator as a big.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well they have a heck of a lot of talent including one of the top players in all of college basketball in Hines Allen and had a pretty impressive record last year......they should certainly be rated a top ten team this year

Pretty impressive record? Who did they really beat last year? Syracuse (but lost to them when the stakes were higher). Florida State? Those were the two best and neither is *that* impressive.

I don't have a problem with them in the lower part of the top 10. But to me that's mostly based on projection of their young talent improving. I think how good their season was last year has been overstated. They were only 8-6 against the Sagarin top 50.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Turner was great but she was surrounded by great shooters and got many more open shots. Hines-Allen excelled as a shot maker/creator as a big.

Reasonable point. Though that almost sounds like penalizing Turner because McGraw thought to recruit shooters and install a balanced offense.

Reaction Score
If both Turner and Hines-Allen were available in the draft and it was your turn to pick, everyone is picking Turner.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ND is the obvious choice. I think everyone else is playing for second place.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
ND is the obvious choice. I think everyone else is playing for second place.
Agreed. I have a feeling Walz's team(s) once again will be tagged as talented underachievers. I'll be fun to see however if Syracuse can make the Dance this year and how much noise their style will make throughout the year.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has lost 1 ACC game in the last 3 years and it's easy to see them dominating the conference again. The only challange will come from Louisville. Then Syracuse.

The tobacco road crowd has to be cringing that the 3 best teams in the conference (IMO) come from Indiana, NY & Kentucky. At least NY has an actual Atlantic coast. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom