OT: Not To Be Preachy But | The Boneyard

OT: Not To Be Preachy But

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As we as a people prepare to barbecue some $900 million of beef tomorrow, get way to much sun, and maybe drink just a little more than prudent, I offer the opportunity to reflect on the most forceful words of our founding document, The Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Please take the time tomorrow to reflect on these words for a little while and the sacrifices of men and women for so long to give meaning to those words for you and me and everyone who genuinely wants to join us in freedom in this country and around the world.

Reaction Score
As we as a people prepare to barbecue some $900 million of beef tomorrow, get way to much sun, and maybe drink just a little more than prudent, I offer the opportunity to reflect on the most forceful words of our founding document, The Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Please take the time tomorrow to reflect on these words for a little while and the sacrifices of men and women for so long to give meaning to those words for you and me and everyone who genuinely wants to join us in freedom in this country and around the world.
Not preachy at all.

Reaction Score
ROCK: Damn, I KNEW I liked you. Thank you for this post.

Apropos of nothing, except maybe the hard work which serves as a foundation for this nation, am just in a bit ago from helping a local farmer and his kin pick up their baled hay from the field and then unload it into the barn. Been awhile since I've done much of that. Bordered on holding my own for an old timer, but they treated me like grandma's china dishes, which helped my performance.

Great day tomorrow to one and all - Happy Fourth of July, folks.

Reaction Score
Definitely not preachy. I'm proud to say I have an annual tradition. On the 4th of July each year, I read the Declaration of Independence (one of those parchment copies with the "original" handwriting) and watch the movie "1776". As William Daniels (as John Adams) says in the movie, the Declaration is "a masterful expression of the American mind".

Reaction Score
Definitely not preachy. I'm proud to say I have an annual tradition. On the 4th of July each year, I read the Declaration of Independence (one of those parchment copies with the "original" handwriting) and watch the movie "1776". As William Daniels (as John Adams) says in the movie, the Declaration is "a masterful expression of the American mind".

FERR: nifty tradition there. A masterful expression of YOUR mind.

Reaction Score

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Thanks Rocky---Our local Editor filled one page with the entire document on Monday---
Not to steal your thunder---
Two of the three rights ---with a caveat, of no guarantee on happiness--that's in your brain.
Life is understood---Liberty needs lots of thinking on--
My favorite : All men are CREATED equal---does not mean we are all equal--equal at birth--for all peoples should have the same opportunities--I don't want a gift--I want the opportunity.
Have you read the Canadian version, 200 years newer, interesting---

Reaction Score
One of the great side benefits of Living in Virginia---too much Civil war/ War between the states--and no enough REAL history
20 miles away are old Colonial forts to fight the French/Indians--upon the the WVa ridges are old forts (tiny tiny) that G Washington asked be built-a massacre wiped both out ---up above Luray is a valley that had a restricted input and G Washington put another fort there---it was never needed.
George W (Washington that is) roamed far and wide --before and after the Revolution--he went to (now) Pittsburgh and attacked the French fort there (the french owned from Hutson bay to Georgia ) west of Pittsburgh--and was sent packing--he wiped out an Iroquois town in retaliation for their raid.
Yes I like North American History---

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom