OT - Not so great trivia... | The Boneyard

OT - Not so great trivia...

Reaction Score
1. Three artists completed the Grand Slam of performative awards (EGOT) in 2019. Name the artists, the final leg of their award, and the project for which they all earned the last honor.
2. This long-time Playboy cartoonist also wrote a hit song for Johnny Cash and produced three of the most well known (and selling) children’s books of all time. Name the artist, the song, and the children’s books.
3. This tennis player won the mixed doubles at the Australian Open in 2003 to complete a feat that only one other player has achieved in the the Open Era. Name the player, the feat, and the only other holder of the distinction. For extra credit, two other players came one accomplishment short of this accomplishment. Who were they?
4. In 2019, this golfer became the fourth player to successfully defend two major championships during his career. Name the golfer and the championships defended.
5. Three young girls were injured near Mars Bluff, SC, on March 11, 1958, when their playhouse was destroyed by what object that fell out of the sky?
6. Brooks Koepka failed to win the U.S. Open this past week, which made him the latest golfer to fall short of achieving something last accomplished by Peter Thompson. Identify Thompson’s achievement and where it occurred.
7. Bartolo Colon holds a major league record for most … (since began tracking in 1988).
8. Jason Belmonte won the Tournament of Champions and World Championship of what sport in 2019, and now has what distinction in that sport’s history?
9. Bob Dylan agreed to act in a Sam Peckinpah film that lead to source material for Guns and Roses and also eventually for Darius Rucker, by way of old crow. What?
10. Mary O’Hara was a former silent era screenwriter who is perhaps best known for a children’s book series she wrote while operating a ranch near Cheyenne. Name the books if you can.
11. WW2 research produced this compound reportedly consisting of 65% dimethylsiloxane (hydroxy-terminated polymers with boric acid), 17% silica (crystalline quartz), 9% Thixatrol ST (castor oil derivative), 4% polydimethylsiloxane, 1% decamethyl cyclopentasiloxane, 1% glycerine, and 1% titanium dioxide, which you might have put in a stocking.
12. Granddaughter of a Dutch Baron, daughter of a British fascist, this woman debuted on Broadway in a Collette play and became one of the greatest stars of film of all time.
13. This type of event is believed to have originated with the festivities surrounding the dedication of the Statue of Liberty in 1886. Admiral George Dewey is believed to have been the first individual recipient. What was Dewey’s claim to fame?
14. Roy C. Sullivan, a park ranger in Virginia, is credited by Guinness as having survived the most number of this recorded event at seven. He ultimately died by self inflicted gunshot wound in 1983.

some of these seemed familiar but it was all stream of thought and mostly wikipedia sources. usual rules.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
7. Bartolo Colon holds a major league record for most … (since began tracking in 1988).

Hamburgers at one sitting. Sorry. :oops::oops::oops::oops:;);););)

Reaction Score
3 Kris kristpherson
7 most at bats before hitting first homer ?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
5 - I'll guess meteor / meteorite
14 - Is he the guy that got struck by lightning a lot?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1. I think one is Glenn Close, and her last would have been the Oscar.
3. I assume this is a career grand slam in singles, doubles, and mixed doubles. I'll guess Agassi. I think the other is Martina Navratilova. Almosts might include John McEnroe
5. A large hail stone?
6. Koepka would have been the first to win three in a row since this guy, whom I don't know.
11. Silly putty?
12. Audrey Hepburn
14. Struck by lightning

Thanks for putting this together, Game. I hope to do one in the next couple of weeks, while I'm on vacation.

Reaction Score
For #1, I should say three artists completed the set of Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony in 2019.

They all won the Emmy for co-producing a version of a show in which one of them played the title character.

Reaction Score
Big, you are very, very close on #3. I guess some folks call it a boxed set. No male player has ever accomplished it, so it wasn't Agassi, but you have named the most recent female. Serena lacks mixed doubles at the Australian and French Open thought she has runner up finishes at both. Hingis was one short. Mixed doubles at French.Billie Jean King lacked only Australian mixed doubles.

Reaction Score
9 Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid - movie
Knockin' on Heaven's Door - song

Reaction Score
1. Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice, and John Legend all completed the EGOT for co-producing the televised version of Superstar.

2. Shel Silverstein was a long time Playboy cartoonist who also had a distinguished songwriting career. He wrote "A Boy Named Sue" for Johnny Cash and "Cover of the Rolling Stone" for Doctor Hook & the Medicine Show. He also is known for his children's writing. Three bestselling examples are Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and The Giving Tree.

3. Big gets partial credit for identifying the feat and for naming one of the two players in the Open era to accomplish the feat. Navritilova is the last to win a boxed set of majors, winning singles, doubles, and mixed doubles at each tennis major. The other party to accomplish it was Margaret Court. Billie Jean King, Martina Hingis, and Serena are/were one short.

4. Brooks Koepka won the 2017 and 2018 US Open and the 2018 and 2019 PGA.

5. a US Air Force, B-47 accidentally dropped an unarmed atomic bomb on a farm in the Mars Bluff Community near Florence, south Carolina. The conventional explosive in the bomb did go off creating a crater. Periodically, this event will be rediscovered and there will be a long feature.

6. As Big noted, Koepka's attempt to win a major three times in a row failed at this year's US Open (He will get another chance at next season's PGA). Peter Thompson won three consecutive British Opens in 1954-1956. He won five Opens in total, the last in 1965.

7. Bartolo Colon holds the record for most consecutive strikes thrown (38). Perhaps also the hamburger record.

8. Bowling. He holds the all time record for PBA Major tournaments won.

9. Ctbbn names the film and one of the songs. Darius Rucker covered Old Medicine's Crow's "Wagon Wheel" which cribbed the refrain from a demo Dylan did while working on the film's soundtrack. Believe Dylan gets royalties and my lord in the South it's still hard to avoid Wagon Wheel.

10. One my my mother's (and I suppose my own though it's been a while) favorite children's series. My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead, and the Green Grass of Wyoming. All three were made into movies, two of which had Roddy McDowell, who I guess was the animal guy for a bit.

11. Big names the stocking stuffer.

12. Big has taste in his movies stars.

13. A ticker tape parade. Admiral Dewey, among other things, commanded U.S. Fleet that sank the Spanish Pacific Fleet at Manilla Bay during the Spanish-American War. “You may fire when you are ready, Gridley.”

14. Big and Knight with the sizzling answer here. Seems a waste to kill yourself after all that, but that was a little weird too from what I read.

Not the participation that we might have hoped, but good effort by those who were in. We miss the master, I suppose.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1. Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice, and John Legend all completed the EGOT for co-producing the televised version of Superstar.

2. Shel Silverstein was a long time Playboy cartoonist who also had a distinguished songwriting career. He wrote "A Boy Named Sue" for Johnny Cash and "Cover of the Rolling Stone" for Doctor Hook & the Medicine Show. He also is known for his children's writing. Three bestselling examples are Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and The Giving Tree.

3. Big gets partial credit for identifying the feat and for naming one of the two players in the Open era to accomplish the feat. Navritilova is the last to win a boxed set of majors, winning singles, doubles, and mixed doubles at each tennis major. The other party to accomplish it was Margaret Court. Billie Jean King, Martina Hingis, and Serena are/were one short.

4. Brooks Koepka won the 2017 and 2018 US Open and the 2018 and 2019 PGA.

5. a US Air Force, B-47 accidentally dropped an unarmed atomic bomb on a farm in the Mars Bluff Community near Florence, south Carolina. The conventional explosive in the bomb did go off creating a crater. Periodically, this event will be rediscovered and there will be a long feature.

6. As Big noted, Koepka's attempt to win a major three times in a row failed at this year's US Open (He will get another chance at next season's PGA). Peter Thompson won three consecutive British Opens in 1954-1956. He won five Opens in total, the last in 1965.

7. Bartolo Colon holds the record for most consecutive strikes thrown (38). Perhaps also the hamburger record.

8. Bowling. He holds the all time record for PBA Major tournaments won.

9. Ctbbn names the film and one of the songs. Darius Rucker covered Old Medicine's Crow's "Wagon Wheel" which cribbed the refrain from a demo Dylan did while working on the film's soundtrack. Believe Dylan gets royalties and my lord in the South it's still hard to avoid Wagon Wheel.

10. One my my mother's (and I suppose my own though it's been a while) favorite children's series. My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead, and the Green Grass of Wyoming. All three were made into movies, two of which had Roddy McDowell, who I guess was the animal guy for a bit.

11. Big names the stocking stuffer.

12. Big has taste in his movies stars.

13. A ticker tape parade. Admiral Dewey, among other things, commanded U.S. Fleet that sank the Spanish Pacific Fleet at Manilla Bay during the Spanish-American War. “You may fire when you are ready, Gridley.”

14. Big and Knight with the sizzling answer here. Seems a waste to kill yourself after all that, but that was a little weird too from what I read.

Not the participation that we might have hoped, but good effort by those who were in. We miss the master, I suppose.

Thanks for the partial credit for my Bartolo Colon take

Maybe your next effort should not be named

" Not so great trivia ... " Need to work out the advertising kinks. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom