OT: North Campus | The Boneyard

OT: North Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I saw the thread about Shippee, which I thought was really helpful. Therefore, I just have some of the same questions about North. I'm going to be in New London Hall, to be exact. Well, how is it? How's the closest dining hall? How's the walk to classes? I know it's pretty close to Gampel and the Student Union, so that's a plus. Oh yeah, I also know about the Jungle, but that's an image there trying to clean up. At orientation, they corrected me when I called North and Northwest that, saying it was bad for the school to have that image.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I lived in New London hall a few years ago.

I packed on about 20 pounds at north dining hall freshman year, so I thought it was good enough lol.

Depends where you're classes are, but the walks are really manageable especially Math science and CLAS. New London is 2nd from the bottom so the walks are better.

Gampel, the co-op, and the U are also close.

Mainly bro, just don't f up your entry level classes ( you're prob a smart guy so they'll be easy...also check rate my professor.com and add drop according that first week).

North was awesome, I grew to love it. people say it's run down, but it's college, so whatever, it's a dorm.

I'd do just about anything to trade places with you right now haha. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
The rooms in North are crap, but it's a fun place to live. You're close enough to most classes, the U and Hunting Lodge (where all the parties are), so it's hard to beat that location.

Unfortunately, the Jungle doesn't really exist anymore.

Reaction Score
Thanks! But there's one more curveball I probably should have mentioned in my initial post: I'm living in a quad, which I didn't think was possible in North. And yeah, I'm a History Major, so clas is all I'm taking.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A quad could actually be pretty cool. I had a standard double, so I'm guessing the quads are where the old study lounges were?

So, you'll prob have a huge room and 3 buddies to chill with right off the bat.

Again, compared to walking into a cubicle or a UConn dorm.. I can't stress enough how lucky you are haha.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I lived in New London my sophomore year (2002) and it was a mess, but a lot of fun. Don't know if they've done any improvements since then but we usually split time between Northwest dining hall and North ... they're all more or less the same except for South at the time (we also didn't have the new student union so I'm sure the food is much better.)

All in all, as others have said, it really doesn't matter where you live it's what you make of it. Everything is close enough that it can all be fun (and it will be, trust me.)

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The rooms in north look like prison cells and doing laundry there sucks but other than that its not bad

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
So I saw the thread about Shippee, which I thought was really helpful. Therefore, I just have some of the same questions about North. I'm going to be in New London Hall, to be exact. Well, how is it? How's the closest dining hall? How's the walk to classes? I know it's pretty close to Gampel and the Student Union, so that's a plus. Oh yeah, I also know about the Jungle, but that's an image there trying to clean up. At orientation, they corrected me when I called North and Northwest that, saying it was bad for the school to have that image.

I lived in New London a few years ago! Overall, North is great. When the weather is nice, no quad beats North. You have North and Northwest dining halls which each have their own things that make them awesome. North has a great makeyourown sandwich bar thingy. Northwest is open late and has grab n go. I'd say at least 2000 kids are squeezed in to North and Northwest, so there are so many people to meet.

The rooms are relatively small and you can tell they're old. The bathrooms ain't great either; basically a communal shower with curtains in between showers. Being second building from the street, doing laundry will suck because the washers are under the dining hall.

The walk depends on your classes. If you are taking math/science/engineering classes, you're golden. If you are taking a lot of humanities classes, learn the bus routes before winter weather sets in.

Yes, they really don't like UConn's partying reputation, but we partied HARD 2009-2010. Then again, spring weekend was still kind of a thing that last year. After that I was off campus my last two years so I dunno how much (if at all) they've cracked down on dorm parties. You have one of the easiest walks to carriage and hunting lodge road, though.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Oh man a quad? Yeah you best be throwing a bunch of parties. They're nice

Reaction Score
Thanks all for the feedback! And yeah, it's a converted study lounge, so that means it'll be huge and possibly have it's own bathroom. I'm starting to understand the kind of luck I'm having, and I'm realizing that UConn is going to be better than my wildest dreams

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
It's good you're realizing this now. Start college off right and have everyone you can over in your room.

In all the quads I have been in, none had a bathroom.

Oh and I'm pretty sure they have carpeting so don't bother buying one at the co-op

Reaction Score
I lived in Hartford Hall my freshman year which is the dorm front left in The Jungle. The place was a dump, but boy we had one hell of a time there. Most of the students were freshman away from home for the first time. Need I say more? I think the place I enjoyed the most was Eddy Hall in Alumni Quad. It was relatively close to the football stadium and the Field House and Student Union. It also was close to most of my classes.

Reaction Score
Thanks! But there's one more curveball I probably should have mentioned in my initial post: I'm living in a quad, which I didn't think was possible in North. And yeah, I'm a History Major, so clas is all I'm taking.
North rooms blow unless youre in a quad or a triple.

Reaction Score
The Jungle was a blast back in the day; crazy. My buddy lived on the first floor and you (and others) would just climb through his window to get in. I'm sure it's nothing like it used to be.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Lived in Fairfield 3rd in 2001 ... loved that place. It was a dump don't get me wrong but its college, what isn't a dump. BTW, there's mechanical tunnels that lead from northwest to north. Find em. They start in NW. Nice n toasty down there in the winter. Also if you can make your way onto the roof of the dining hall do so, hitting golf balls from there across the quad is a pretty good time.

Have fun, don't blow it .... so go to class.

Reaction Score
I lived in Frats, Russell C 2nd and 4th in the mid 90s. The Jungle couldn't hold a candle to the glory of Frats. That place sure did look like a prison.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Don't take 8a Intro to Film in Von Der Mehden. You'll get there about 1 out of 3 classes, and even when you do, you don't have a prayer of staying awake in that warm theater when they kill the lights.

If you are broke, and spend hours collecting bags of cans so that you can afford 1/2 a 30 pack of keystone light, be careful bringing it into your dorm. Red Headed RA's in NorthWest like to pretend they are keying into the car next to you so they can jump out when you pop the trunk and make you dump out every one. The alcohol 101 class at the hart house, consequently, is not bad.

If a group of kids on your floor smash every ceiling tile and rip out a sink, you'll have to pay approximately 45 dollars in repairs, even if you had nothing to do with it.

You are one of the closest dorms to hunting lodge road, where the majority of off campus housing is and therefore the majority of debauchery. Be safe, stay out of the street. Use the "Rape Trail." Although chances are they are calling it something different these days if they are squashing "the jungle."

Reaction Score
the best thing about North is when the weather gets warm, the chicks come out to sunbathe...

AND...if you ever find yourself running away from the cops...hide under the stairs on the bottom floor. they'll think you left the building.

Reaction Score
I lived on the 3rd floor of New London for 3 years. My room was across from a quad room in my freshman year - that place was party central. The quad room was gone after that year I think.

Anyway, I think you'll be OK with New London. I enjoyed my three years there, although I cut down on the partying my senior year and moved to McMahon!

Reaction Score

Let's be clear. The Jungle didn't include Northwest (aka Frats). They had phased out the quads in the Jungle when I was an RA (Fairfield 1st 91-92 and Tolland 2nd in 93). I lived in Buckley my first two years. The North side of campus was much more convenient for most of my classes (business). Dining hall was convenient. Some food is good. Some awful. All of the big dorms have the same food (or did in my day).

Reaction Score
I lived in New London 2002-03. Good times.

Best Memory: Epic snowball fight vs. Northwest freshmen. Like something out of braveheart.
2nd Best memory: Women's team wins National Championship. 3 people run into the quad and start cheering. All residents go to their windows to look out who these people are. Someone from across the quad yells "It's Just the Women!". Classic.

Reaction Score
I lived in New London 2002-03. Good times.

Best Memory: Epic snowball fight vs. Northwest freshmen. Like something out of braveheart.
2nd Best memory: Women's team wins National Championship. 3 people run into the quad and start cheering. All residents go to their windows to look out who these people are. Someone from across the quad yells "It's Just the Women!". Classic.

My favorite snowball fight happened in winter 91-92. West campus came up and started a war in the Jungle. Was fairly civilized until my guys took the lids off the garbage cans as shields and ran out there and started beating the crap out of people. I later found out that one of my residents was picking people off with a pellet gun from his room. The quote from the Assistant Hall Director went something like "While we appreciate you defending your dorm....."

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
My favorite snowball fight happened in winter 91-92. West campus came up and started a war in the Jungle. Was fairly civilized until my guys took the lids off the garbage cans as shields and ran out there and started beating the crap out of people. I later found out that one of my residents was picking people off with a pellet gun from his room. The quote from the Assistant Hall Director went something like "While we appreciate you defending your dorm....."

I was there!

To me the funniest part was when the cops arrived. All the students stopped throwing snowballs at each other and started pelting the cop car. So many snowballs were hitting the car it sounded like machine gun fire. I'd never seen cops turn tail and run like that before or since...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom