OT: NIU ticket office buys back 56,000 tickets... | The Boneyard

OT: NIU ticket office buys back 56,000 tickets...

Reaction Score
Interesting shell game: NIU ticket office buys back 56,000 tickets

>>The NIU ticket office bought back $273,619 worth of football tickets last season to comply with NCAA attendance requirements, or risk losing their Football Bowl Series status and several corporate sponsorships.

The office purchased 56,345 tickets as part of an NCAA audit, according to a compilation of transaction details provided to the Northern Star in a Freedom of Information Act request <<

>>The audits are performed every other year. Under NCAA bylaws, FBS teams are required to have a rolling average attendance of 15,000 people per game, paid or actual.<<

>>NIU reported its announced season attendance at 67,748 in 2017, according to an NCAA attendance report. However, numbers show the total number of scanned tickets and student swipes accepted at games totaled 44,084, according to attendance numbers provided to the Northern Star through a FOIA request.<<

>>NIU hosted six home games, thus needing to sell 90,000 tickets to hit the 15,000 per game average. Of the 90,000 tickets needed, 38,320 were bought by NIU at the third-highest possible price, $6.67.

NIU also paid for an extra 18,025 tickets at $1 each, though they didn’t count toward the final attendance in the NCAA audit.<<

Reaction Score
board.jpg

Reaction Score
So what I understand is, NIU purchased it's own tickets to bump the average of attendance up so they dont lose their FBS status? I wasn't even away there needed to be a minimal attendance. No wonder we give away tickets half the time.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What in the what now??

"Under NCAA bylaws, FBS teams are required to have a rolling average attendance of 15,000 people per game, paid or actual."

I had no idea such a bylaw existed. There is no way that some of these Sun Belt, CUSA, MAC, WAC teams are going to survive in the long-term.

Gotta love the corrupt nature of the NCAA. First, they allow for this Power 5 club to form and strengthen. They allow for laws that literally stack the deck against anyone not in the Power 5 club. No Playoff access. No money. As a result, no recruits. No wins. No fans. No money (again). Then they put in a bylaw that mandates to the G5s - who would all murder their mothers to join the P5 club but can't - that you need to meet minimum attendance requirements?? All this so that you can continue to be excluded from the playoffs, from the money, from the everything.

There is inept. Then there is Mark Emmert inept. He's truly a magician at being awful at everything he does.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What in the what now??

"Under NCAA bylaws, FBS teams are required to have a rolling average attendance of 15,000 people per game, paid or actual."

I had no idea such a bylaw existed. There is no way that some of these Sun Belt, CUSA, MAC, WAC teams are going to survive in the long-term.

Gotta love the corrupt nature of the NCAA. First, they allow for this Power 5 club to form and strengthen. They allow for laws that literally stack the deck against anyone not in the Power 5 club. No Playoff access. No money. As a result, no recruits. No wins. No fans. No money (again). Then they put in a bylaw that mandates to the G5s - who would all murder their mothers to join the P5 club but can't - that you need to meet minimum attendance requirements?? All this so that you can continue to be excluded from the playoffs, from the money, from the everything.

There is inept. Then there is Mark Emmert inept. He's truly a magician at being awful at everything he does.

I think the attendance requirement and its extremely loose conformance requirements has been around for a long time. I recall as a student back at Buffalo in the 90s this issue was frequently cited as a concern for their program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
These rules have existed for a while and they have never been enforced nor will they be.

Reaction Score
So what I understand is, NIU purchased it's own tickets to bump the average of attendance up so they dont lose their FBS status? I wasn't even away there needed to be a minimal attendance. No wonder we give away tickets half the time.

Part of the reason that Temple plays a home game with Penn State. They fill the stadium and get their average up. Doesn't matter if the 15,000 are rooting for the home team or the away team.

Reaction Score
What in the what now??

The NCAA is powerless over the P5. They live in constant fear they will break off and form their own organization, therefore they hold all the leverage in the relationship.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NIU isn’t that far removed from a major bowl and draw 7k a game.

What’s the point exactly? It certainly isn’t brand or front porch or academics or mission or campus life....

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
NIU isn’t that far removed from a major bowl and draw 7k a game.

What’s the point exactly? It certainly isn’t brand or front porch or academics or mission or campus life....

And it's the alma mater of the two Cindys...Crawford and Morgan, who both strongly support their school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom