OT - NHL/Olympics | The Boneyard

OT - NHL/Olympics

Reaction Score
This isn't recent news, but with the Olympics only a handful of weeks away I thought it was a good time to re-visit how much it sucks that the NHL will not be allowing their players to compete (the players probably deserve more blame than they've gotten, but this isn't about them).

There's what's right for the NHL and then there's what's right for hockey. On one hand, it makes sense for the NHL to operate in their own interests. On the other, what's right for hockey ultimately becomes one and the same with what's right for the NHL. To think that they're going to forego the two weeks every four years where that sport actually matters more than any other and there are generational talents throughout the world budding and others still at the peak of their powers is mind-boggling.

This stuff has to matter to people, right? I'm not even a hockey guy by nature. USA hockey is the singular vehicle that facilitated my love for the game, even at a time when I never thought that was possible and even in an era where hockey might be falling further behind other sports. As an American, to have the most talent we've had in years and then blow it once in the world cup of hockey a year ago with the gimmick u23 team (granted was a ton of fun to watch) and now again...smh.

You can call me a sentimentalist, but I have nostalgia for this stuff. Strong nostalgia. Growing up in the northeast, playing street hockey with snow on the ground, seeing your favorite players in those colors...it's too good not to market like hell.

The team they put out there will still be fun. I'll still watch. Having the opportunity stripped away from me from seeing all that talent on the ice at once is something I won't forgive them for.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This isn't recent news, but with the Olympics only a handful of weeks away I thought it was a good time to re-visit how much it sucks that the NHL will not be allowing their players to compete (the players probably deserve more blame than they've gotten, but this isn't about them).

There's what's right for the NHL and then there's what's right for hockey. On one hand, it makes sense for the NHL to operate in their own interests. On the other, what's right for hockey ultimately becomes one and the same with what's right for the NHL. To think that they're going to forego the two weeks every four years where that sport actually matters more than any other and there are generational talents throughout the world budding and others still at the peak of their powers is mind-boggling.

This stuff has to matter to people, right? I'm not even a hockey guy by nature. USA hockey is the singular vehicle that facilitated my love for the game, even at a time when I never thought that was possible and even in an era where hockey might be falling further behind other sports. As an American, to have the most talent we've had in years and then blow it once in the world cup of hockey a year ago with the gimmick u23 team (granted was a ton of fun to watch) and now again...smh.

You can call me a sentimentalist, but I have nostalgia for this stuff. Strong nostalgia. Growing up in the northeast, playing street hockey with snow on the ground, seeing your favorite players in those colors...it's too good not to market like hell.

The team they put out there will still be fun. I'll still watch. Having the opportunity stripped away from me from seeing all that talent on the ice at once is something I won't forgive them for.

You're not old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice are you? It had so much more impact than it wouldve if it was an NHL all star team. I actually feel for people who didnt get to live through that moment and it truly is indescribable.

But anyway, times change, and overall I agree that the best players for every country should be donning the Jerseys.

Reaction Score
It's such a shame. Olympic hockey was the best. Although I do enjoy the World Junior tournament, so I guess it'll be kind of like that + the KHL guys.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You're not old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice are you? It had so much more impact than it wouldve if it was an NHL all star team. I actually feel for people who didnt get to live through that moment and it truly is indescribable.

But anyway, times change, and overall I agree that the best players for every country should be donning the Jerseys.

Definitely a young guy. I don't care either way. It's rough on both the NHL and the players to shut down mid season for a month. The issue if I recall is insurance against injuries. The billion dollar slush fund that is the IOC doesn't want to pay it.

Not having pros isn't the problem, plenty of nations will have pros. The US won't, Canada neither.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The US won't, Canada neither.

Just like '80.

The Russian team was pro's at every position 3 lines and the best netminder in the history of the game deep.

Reaction Score
Definitely a young guy. I don't care either way. It's rough on both the NHL and the players to shut down mid season for a month. The issue if I recall is insurance against injuries. The billion dollar slush fund that is the IOC doesn't want to pay it.

Not having pros isn't the problem, plenty of nations will have pros. The US won't, Canada neither.

Is it just the NHL that is not allowing their players? I had no idea. That sucks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Does anyone really care? Plenty of great soccer will be available.

Reaction Score
What are our odds of medaling without NHL players? Obviously the NHL ban will effect more than just the US (mainly Canada) and with Russia out that's one less potential quality opponent.

Reaction Score
Great thread. NHL is making a huge mistake by not coming up w an agreement. It is the best marketing for their game and players. The NHL and players going two to three extra weeks should not have been a deal breaker. They still would play the full schedule.

Reaction Score

There's never going to be another Miracle on Ice. That took a perfect storm of circumstances (the political stuff obviously, but also the fact that the Soviet Union had peaked as an all-time great hockey power and the fact that the games were played in the states) as I'm sure you know. Once in a lifetime - wish it was a part of mine but I got to see the AAC tournament come to Hartford so we'll call it even.

The 2010 games in Vancouver is all my generation really has (unlike the last one which was entirely forgettable save for the Oshie shoot-out), and even if it wasn't the Miracle on Ice, it was still as great a sporting spectacle as you are going to see. Undeniably a pantheon sporting event for anybody who was there/watched it life. Gold medal game between USA and Canada called greatest hockey game ever played by some.

This could have been even better than that.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I was stationed at Fort Ord California at the time. 100% pure excitement. Funny part about it, I didn't understand Hockey. All I knew, put the puck in the net. But there I was jumping up and down on every shot. When there was a penalty, I was completely lost. However, I will never forget it. Beating the Russians , then one more game.

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem is the games are over in Korea. In the prelim games both USA & Canada are playing games at 7 in the morning and a couple of games at 10 at night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom