OT- Nebraska Players Hospitalized During Offseason Workouts | The Boneyard

OT- Nebraska Players Hospitalized During Offseason Workouts

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Wide receiver Tyjon Lidnsey and defensive lineman Dylan Owen were hospitalized after a winter workout, but have been released and have returned to the team, Nebraska head coach Scott Frost confirmed to the Journal Star on Tuesday afternoon.

Lindsey and Owen both were treated for rhabdomyolysis, the first-year Husker head coach said. Lindsey was in the hospital for three days and Owen for two.

"Anything that happens in our program is ultimately my responsibility," Frost said. "Our strength coach and training room were coordinating to do absolutely the best they could to make sure the transition went smooth, but two kids that exerted themselves too far and had (rhabdomyolysis).

"I want to make sure people understand that the health of our players is always going to be our primary concern. It's been kind of a scary deal and both kids are doing fine now."

According to WebMD, rhabdomylosis is a muscle injury that, "results from the death of muscle fibers and release of their contents into the bloodstream. This can lead to serious complications such as renal (kidney) failure. This means the kidneys cannot remove waste and concentrated urine."

"I didn't know much about (rhabdomylosis) until recently when I saw it happen at other places and I figured that would never happen to us, as careful as we are, but unfortunately it did and we take it very seriously," Frost said.

Frost said that head strength coach Zach Duval and his staff modified their initial workout plan after testing the players on the roster, reducing and moderating workouts because of where most players tested.

"The workout that caused the problem was supposed to be a 40-minute weight workout and it was cut to 32 minutes of weights," Frost said. "It's fairly intense, but it's something that we did with our team for two years at UCF. I'm not trying to make an excuse, but I'm always going to be transparent. We had trainers in the weight room during the workout to pull ugys out of the workout if they saw any problems.

Despite all that, we still had two kids that ended up having problems. Our players are our No. 1 concern. We thought we were approaching everything safely and the right way and it turns out that it was a little too much for a couple of them."

This story will be updated.

I just ask for everyone's condolences and prayers for my health. I've been going through something I've never experienced ever and your thoughts, along with prayers motivate me. Thank you dearly!

— Tyjon A. L1ndsey (@tyjonlindsey) January 23, 2018

Frost: Two Huskers hospitalized after winter workout

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-30_11-17-13.png
    upload_2018-1-30_11-17-13.png
    75 bytes · Views: 32
  • upload_2018-1-30_11-17-13.png
    upload_2018-1-30_11-17-13.png
    75 bytes · Views: 28

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
From Web MD:

Rhabdomyolysis Causes

There are many traumatic and nontraumatic causes of rhabdomyolysis. In the first category, causes include:

• A crush injury such as from an auto accident, fall, or building collapse
  • Long-lasting muscle compression such as that caused by prolonged immobilization after a fall or lying unconscious on a hard surface during illness or while under the influence of alcohol or medication
  • Electrical shock injury, lightning strike, or third-degree burn
  • Venom from a snake or insect bite

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine what they were doing that caused this to happen in just 32 minutes of exertion

People get kidney injuries like this from running double marathons and stuff

Reaction Score
Well this can be taken two ways: 1) Scott Frost is a beast and a rabid fan base like Nebraska will love that they have a hardass dude that is changing the culture or 2) wow he is such a hardass he nearly killed two kids.

Either way he got in front of it and was very transparent. I'd welcome it here

Reaction Score
Unfortunate for the two athletes, hope they recover. Seemed transparent, did this for two years at UCF and never had an issue, modified it for nebraska, and had extra trainers on hand. Don't think he deserves to be made into a villain.

Reaction Score
Don't think (Frost) deserves to be made into a villain.
Post-Disastro, decreased vitamin D intake is clearly the cause. When a Nebraska sweatshirt-wearing fan walked by my house yesterday, I asked him what he thought of the new coaches. Reply: typical looking forward to improved potential. Then, I asked "What'd you think of the old DC; prompted loud chuckle and a negative shake of the head. Disco Bob, living in infamy!

Reaction Score
Coach definitely miscalculated on the transition to this type of workout. Certainly reflects an area that was not given much attention by the prior regime but 2 guys is a lot to go down in 1 weight session, no?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
a buddy of mine had rhabdo, it was after a short 30min workout but it was extremely intense, im sure kids just wanted to push themselves hard to show the new coach what they were made of. accidents happen.

Reaction Score
a buddy of mine had rhabdo, it was after a short 30min workout but it was extremely intense, im sure kids just wanted to push themselves hard to show the new coach what they were made of. accidents happen.
What, non-stop intense plyo mixed in with sprints or something?

I can't imagine 30 minutes of just weights doing this to 20 year olds who are otherwise in peak physical condition

Reaction Score
What, non-stop intense plyo mixed in with sprints or something?

I can't imagine 30 minutes of just weights doing this to 20 year olds who are otherwise in peak physical condition
Guessing zero or very short recoveries between each.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom