OT NCAA Womens Soccer | The Boneyard

OT NCAA Womens Soccer

Reaction Score
For those who might be interested, Women's final four soccer on ESPN2 tonight. Virginia vs Fla State @ 6 and North Carolina vs Santa Clara @ 8:30. Up till now you had to go to the tarheels website to watch any games. Easier to find NCAA beach Volleyball.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
North Carolina is the UConn of Women's Soccer. Or vice versa.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Their first Championship was in '82, and they have 21 of them, so I think they trump UConn. Also they won 9 straight at one point, and 16 of 19. None since 2012 though, long slump for them.
Are they the favorite this year? Any scouting for us amateurs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I will readily admit I have zero expertise when it comes to soccer. I don't know if they are the favorite, they are the #2 seed. Florida St. is #1. I'm pulling for Santa Clara. Otherwise it's an ACC invitational.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Anson Dorrance, the "Geno+" of Women's Soccer is still firing on all cylinders. He's got the stadium named after him but he still shows up and does the work. Recruiting is top notch (sells itself), but he also does a good job of adopting his strategies to fit his players' strengths.

UVA is excellent as well, but they keep running into UNC and....Florida State. Right now, FSU Coach Krikorian seems to have figured it out. He recruits both domestically and internationally and this combination of developmental talent seems to pay off with constant waves of players reaching their peak year in and year out.

I'll take the winner of the FSU vs. UVA game to win it all.

p.s. I used to spend a lot of time following Women's Soccer when Notre Dame, coached by Randy Waldrum, was a challenger to UNC and, in fact, broke through for a few championships. Once Waldrum left to coach pro's, ND faded into the pack (yes, there's a number of people drawing parallels with basketball).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I will readily admit I have zero expertise when it comes to soccer. I don't know if they are the favorite, they are the #2 seed. Florida St. is #1. I'm pulling for Santa Clara. Otherwise it's an ACC invitational.

ABC please, though I don't want Santa Clara to win the title.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ABC please, though I don't want Santa Clara to win the title.
The first part is expected, but do you have something against SCU? Or just want to see an ACC team get a Title?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Now that I think of it, all of the finalists have coaches who could be called the "grand old men"* of coaching womens soccer:
  • UNC: Anson Dorrance
  • UVA: Steve Swanson
  • FSU: Mark Krikorian
  • Santa Clara: Jerry Smith, assisted by wife and former SC and USA great, Brandi Chastain.

*Throw in Stanford's Paul Ratcliffe to this mix.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The first part is expected, but do you have something against SCU? Or just want to see an ACC team get a Title?

Seldom do I root against an ACC team in any final... except for *** . Of course there are exceptions.

Reaction Score

FSU, UNC, Duke, and Virginia are pretty even steven...

The Noles beat Duke and have beaten Virginia and UNC to be undefeated so far...They beat UNC 3-2 in the ACC CG.

...the end of the season was 6 months back for the ACC and FSU lost their best defender who signed with FC Gironds De Bourdeaux.

Reaction Score
The ACC will have been in the Finals of 8 of the last 10 tournaments....

I'd hate to see UNC add the title to their recent Field Hockey title...But, they are the best on the pitch.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The ACC will have been in the Finals of 8 of the last 10 tournaments....

I'd hate to see UNC add the title to their recent Field Hockey title...But, they are the best on the pitch.
The view from the foretop!

Reaction Score
Santa Clara is leading UNC...looks like it could be an FSU-Santa Clara final.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Santa Clara up 3-1 really late in the 2nd period. Gonna take a miracle for UNC to win.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
2021-03-25 (6).jpg

Reaction Score
I can't cry for the Tarheels...

They have so dominated Women's soccer...making it to the Final Four ain't too bad (but they will think so).

They just won the NC in Field Hockey, are the #1 seed in the Women's Lacrosse tournament and #1 seed in the Men's Lacrosse tournament.

It would have been unbearable to have them sweep these.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
SCU reppin' the WCC! Portland won a few Titles but it's been a long time.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Way to go Santa Clara.

So the overrated-ness of the ACC isn't just limited to basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom