NBA Playoffs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NBA Playoffs

Reaction Score
I liked the guy when he was a good guy, he's not any more pretty simple to me.

How's he a bad guy? He's a little bit self-important but given his stature within the sports world it'd be borderline strange if he wasn't at this point.

Reaction Score
How's he a bad guy? He's a little bit self-important but given his stature within the sports world it'd be borderline strange if he wasn't at this point.

Fair enough bad choice of words on my part. Probably not a bad guy at all but he's changed and I guess self-important works but it's a bit short. While he is in a unique situation with his stature that none of us could even imagine, yeah even me, his dramatic change in personality to where he thinks the world suddenly wants to listen to him about everything from political views to a call on the court is a turn off. I remember reading an article on him early in his career and being so impressed with the way he hwas handling business with the kids he grew up with etc etc and he was a very humble young man. That's not to say no one changes but his is dramatic.

Having said that I am sure he gives back, takes great care of his family and friends so who am I to determine what kind of guy he is just by seen him constantly yelling at refs and teammates? I guess I will shut up.

Reaction Score
There is nothing like the overreactions after Game 1 in a seven-game series, regardless of the sport. NBA, MLB, NHL; it doesn't matter.

While I still think the Cavs will win their series, it's going to be interesting to see how LeBron behaves. He has a history of shutting down when things get tough. Kevin Love said he thinks LeBron's impending Decision 2.0 will have an impact on the team. I wonder if we'll see history repeat itself from the 2011 Finals where LeBron stopped being aggressive and somewhat disappeared. I think he knows he can't win a title with this team, wouldn't surprise me if they get in an 0-2 hole if he mails it in before leaving CLE this summer.
I think LeBron's 'history of shutting down when things get tough' isn't precisely stated enough. The history is that when its all but done and very obvious to all that his team is inferior, then yes LeBron has dialed it back. Maybe its super noticeable though compared to his normal balls to the walls style & effort. Its definitely not ideal and in another sport (say baseball) you have to play 100% until the final out b/c you never know. I'd characterize it like this: when his team is beaten, LeBron has on at least two occasions thrown up the white flag before the final buzzer. IF he does it this year, we can be more critical of him for it.
And its definitely going to be in play because Cleveland isn't a championship level team. LeBron seems hyper-vigilant about his legacy and for that reason he is very likely to leave Cleveland AND very likely to be held accountable for how he does that and where he goes. How he does it is fair game for criticism - this is one year that he cannot quit or mentally check out in any way until the final buzzer.

It'll be really interesting to see where he picks and what his criteria is. I'll respect any choice OTHER than LA (just $$) and of course Golden State (I mean c'mon). Houston might be borderline - that would be an interesting test of LeBron vs KD - would people beat up on LeBron equally, less or worse if LeBron picks a Houston NBA runner-up team?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Funny how things are viewed differently. I thought Lebron had one of his best overall seasons this year (but I probably say that every year). One thing LJ still does better that KD is stay healthy and play more games

Everybody who watches basketball did. He also played 82 games for the first time in his career, if you can believe it. He's turned back the clock.

This year, he had his highest PPG average since 2010, his highest RPG ever (tied with last season), his highest APG ever, he shot 54% (50% career), 37% from 3 (34% career), his PER was 28.6, and his OBPM and DBPM were both higher than his career numbers. Miraculous.

He probably takes more plays off on the defensive end, but if it's what he needs to do to keep logging heavy minutes and putting up eye-popping stats at the age of 33, then by all means he should continue doing it.

KD is a great player, certainly. No comparison.

Reaction Score
I think LeBron's 'history of shutting down when things get tough' isn't precisely stated enough. The history is that when its all but done and very obvious to all that his team is inferior, then yes LeBron has dialed it back. Maybe its super noticeable though compared to his normal balls to the walls style & effort. Its definitely not ideal and in another sport (say baseball) you have to play 100% until the final out b/c you never know. I'd characterize it like this: when his team is beaten, LeBron has on at least two occasions thrown up the white flag before the final buzzer. IF he does it this year, we can be more critical of him for it.

That doesn't explain his performance vs Dallas in The Finals. They were the better team that year, had a 2-1 series lead and then something cracked upstairs for LeBron. Still one of the strangest things I've seen in the NBA.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Everybody who watches basketball did. He also played 82 games for the first time in his career, if you can believe it. He's turned back the clock.

This year, he had his highest PPG average since 2010, his highest RPG ever (tied with last season), his highest APG ever..........Miraculous.

He probably takes more plays off on the defensive end, but if it's what he needs to do to keep logging heavy minutes and putting up eye-popping stats at the age of 33, then by all means he should continue doing it.

Not to be a hater, but I don't believe in miracles. I've little doubt he's getting an extra 'edge' somehow. I don't fault him for that mind you. Plus he spends something like $1.5m annually on his body alone....which shows his desire and commitment to keeping it together as an older player.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Not to be a hater, but I don't believe in miracles. I've little doubt he's getting an extra 'edge' somehow. I don't fault him for that mind you. Plus he spends something like $1.5m annually on his body alone....which shows his desire and commitment to keeping it together as an older player.

A figure of speech. He was always awesome. He keeps in great shape and has been lucky to be free of injury. It's not like Bonds where he put on 30 pounds of muscle and his numbers improved dramatically. He's just putting up stats in line with his previous numbers, and some better offensive numbers because he's needed to carry this particular team.

I'm neither particularly naive nor skeptical when it comes to this kind of thing but I see no point in or basis for assuming he's doping, if that's what you're suggesting. He's 33, not 43. Of course, he could be. You'd be dumb to dismiss that out of hand. But I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt in the absence of a reason not to.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A figure of speech. He was always awesome. He keeps in great shape and has been lucky to be free of injury. It's not like Bonds where he put on 30 pounds of muscle and his numbers improved dramatically. He's just putting up stats in line with his previous numbers, and some better offensive numbers because he's needed to carry this particular team.

I'm neither particularly naive nor skeptical when it comes to this kind of thing but I see no point in or basis for assuming he's doping, if that's what you're suggesting. He's 33, not 43. Of course, he could be. You'd be dumb to dismiss that out of hand. But I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt in the absence of a reason not to.

I hear the size thing used a lot, but that's just one small part of PEDs. Look at Lance Armstrong's size. For an NBA player, recovery is more important than gains in the gym. Being able to go night after night.

There's a lot of wear and tear on that body. Hey's played 15 regular seasons, plus an additional 2.75 seasons of playoff games. That's a lot of miles.

For the record, I wasn't trying to turn this into LeBron dopes or what have you; just making an off-the-cuff observation. It's certainly not the reason for all his success. I don't even care if he does or he doesn't. None of us know anyway.

Reaction Score

Yes and I’d add so what if he is. There’s an extremely gray move able line between sport legal, law legal and unknown/new. We know at 1.5MM between diet, exercise nutrition and other (sleep, meditation, cyro etc) it’s entirely possible that he’s built the perfect athlete on the perfect frame for it. Again I thought he had to be on ‘roids when he came outta high school dominating (wrong!) - it’s foolish to doubt or hate on the guy, just enjoy!

I did forget about the Dallas series, there I don’t blame LeBron per se b/c I want to credit the Mavs and the 3 of them (LBJ, Wade, Bosh) paid a mental toll for a year as the enemy. Have to go back & look at his #s.

Reaction Score
Yes and I’d add so what if he is. There’s an extremely gray move able line between sport legal, law legal and unknown/new. We know at 1.5MM between diet, exercise nutrition and other (sleep, meditation, cyro etc) it’s entirely possible that he’s built the perfect athlete on the perfect frame for it. Again I thought he had to be on ‘roids when he came outta high school dominating (wrong!) - it’s foolish to doubt or hate on the guy, just enjoy!

I did forget about the Dallas series, there I don’t blame LeBron per se b/c I want to credit the Mavs and the 3 of them (LBJ, Wade, Bosh) paid a mental toll for a year as the enemy. Have to go back & look at his #s.

Plus...how can anyone NOT root for the Dirk?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

What a thing to say, being down 2-0 about an opposing player who is thoroughly undressing you over those games.

I'd say Bledsoe could read Rozier's name on the back of his jersey the next time he blows by him...again...but it's not clear that he can read. He certainly hasn't been able to comprehend what's happened (or who's done it) to him so far.

Reaction Score

What a thing to say, being down 2-0 about an opposing player who is thoroughly undressing you over those games.

I'd say Bledsoe could read Rozier's name on the back of his jersey the next time he blows by him...again...but it's not clear that he can read. He certainly hasn't been able to comprehend what's happened (or who's done it) to him so far.

Yeah, I'm kind of a sucker for the dramatic ego-driven statements NBA players tend to make, but this is so dumb. The defense in the play that @UConnStats posted is one of the most pathetic efforts imaginable in a playoff game.

Hoping Giannis can win 'em a game or two in Milwaukee to keep the series alive.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I’ve never loved him as a player. He’s ok. Now I definitely don’t like him after I heard that.

Plus he’s a Calipari disciple.

Reaction Score
Last night Bledsoe tried to control the game and exert will on Boston via muscling defense, it didn't work and possibly taxed him effecting his offensive output. He's frustrated.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Last night Bledsoe tried to control the game and exert will on Boston via muscling defense, it didn't work and possibly taxed him effecting his offensive output. He's frustrated.
He was wildly out of control. The refs let it go as if he were LeBron and at one point it rendered Homer Tommy Heinsohn virtually speechless.

Reaction Score
You wouldn't know that Bledsoe exerted that effort on defense looking at the numbers. I think I saw Boston scored 120 points on 90 possessions. They were all lighting it up except Tatum. Jaylen Brown with consecutive impressive performances.

On another thought, I am really enjoying the NO vs Portland series. Unfortunate that 2 UConn guys got squeezed out of the rotation. I will be surprised if we don't see Bazz at some point, Turner killed the Blazers last night. Love watching Jrue Holiday ramp his game up, he plays so hard and confident. Out maneuvered 2 Blazers in crunch time to come up with an offensive rebound and maintain possessions. It's incredible that Rondo is still able to flip the switch, he hit more 3s than Lillard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You wouldn't know that Bledsoe exerted that effort on defense looking at the numbers. I think I saw Boston scored 120 points on 90 possessions. They were all lighting it up except Tatum. Jaylen Brown with consecutive impressive performances.

On another thought, I am really enjoying the NO vs Portland series. Unfortunate that 2 UConn guys got squeezed out of the rotation. I will be surprised if we don't see Bazz at some point, Turner killed the Blazers last night. Love watching Jrue Holiday ramp his game up, he plays so hard and confident. Out maneuvered 2 Blazers in crunch time to come up with an offensive rebound and maintain possessions. It's incredible that Rondo is still able to flip the switch, he hit more 3s than Lillard.
Wow, yeah bummed that I was too tired to watch that game last night, its probably the best series in terms of two very good teams going at it. Love the Holiday story especially in light of him giving up time last year to be with his sick & pregnant wife.

I think 2 of tonight's games likely a snooze, Cleveland almost has to win & will likely dominate. MN is overmatched and Houston will probably shoot better in a rout. So that leaves us with Utah - OKC, obviously Mitchell needs to play for Utah to have a chance but hopefully will be a close game. Otherwise I'll have to watch hockey?!

Miami - Philly is my vote for 2nd best series so far, Kelly Olynyk might be the only former Brad Stevens Celtic to be BETTER after leaving the C's (Not better: Crowder, IT, ABradley, AJohnson, Jerebko, Sullinger, aforementioned Turner). Olynyk has been all over the place hitting shots, finding open shooters and Simmons has really, really improved from the beginning of the year. I'm rooting for Miami b/c I think people were putting on the knee pads a little too quickly for a Philly team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs before (and I'm a registered process doubter), but can't wait to see Embid enter the mix.

Reaction Score
There is nothing like the overreactions after Game 1 in a seven-game series, regardless of the sport. NBA, MLB, NHL; it doesn't matter.

While I still think the Cavs will win their series, it's going to be interesting to see how LeBron behaves. He has a history of shutting down when things get tough. Kevin Love said he thinks LeBron's impending Decision 2.0 will have an impact on the team. I wonder if we'll see history repeat itself from the 2011 Finals where LeBron stopped being aggressive and somewhat disappeared. I think he knows he can't win a title with this team, wouldn't surprise me if they get in an 0-2 hole if he mails it in before leaving CLE this summer.

On another note, it's mind-numbing how terrible the officiating is in the NBA. It seems to get worse every year. We might be nearing a point where college officiating is better and that's really saying something.
NBA refs can be really frustrating, but college officials are way, wayyyy worse.

It’s not even remotely close. College refs are straight up incompetent.

Reaction Score
NBA refs can be really frustrating, but college officials are way, wayyyy worse.

It’s not even remotely close. College refs are straight up incompetent.

Up until this year I would have agreed. It's definitely close right now. Between missing crap like the Covington stepback-without-dribbling to blatant goaltends where the defender violently pulls the rim down to Tony Brothers bullspit call on Gortat on the opening tip of Game 1 in Toronto; this stuff is as bad as it gets.

Reaction Score
My love/hate relationship with the modern NBA was in full effect last night in the Portland/New Orleans game. It's great seeing Rondo & Jrue thoroughly outplay Lillard and McCollum. The tough, two-way, not-so-sexy games of NO's backcourt manhandling the flashier, "better" backcourt left a big grin on my face.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My love/hate relationship with the modern NBA was in full effect last night in the Portland/New Orleans game. It's great seeing Rondo & Jrue thoroughly outplay Lillard and McCollum. The tough, two-way, not-so-sexy games of NO's backcourt manhandling the flashier, "better" backcourt left a big grin on my face.
If you think Holiday and Rondo are better than Portland's back court...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom