NBA Playoffs | The Boneyard

NBA Playoffs

Reaction Score
I'm not much of a Westbrook fan and his team hasn't improved but he just averaged a triple double in back to back seasons. Remember thinking I would never see a player in my lifetime average a triple double for a season, this should be talked about more.

Reaction Score
A point guard with 17 boards mid way through the 3rd Q. About as legit as Michael Strahan’s record-breaking “sack”

Edit: Still a ridiculously great player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guy plays hard every play every minute. Can never question his effort and talent.

It's a shame he plays in OKC and doesn't get the recognition he deserves

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I think Westbrook is overrated. It is pretty clear that he does pad his stats. I have seen him leave his man late in games multiple times to go for a rebound for his triple double. LeBron could go for 40 20 and 15 every game if he really wanted to (which he does sometimes). Also, look at the success players who have left the Thunder. Durant didn't work well with Westbrook, so he bounced town. Dion Waiters is a different player since he left playing with Westbrook. And the Thunder are massively underachieving with the level of pure talent they have this year.

On the flip side, he gives it 110% every night and is the most fun to watch player in the league in terms of athleticism and firepower. But he will never win anything in the league if he's the primary scorer.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I think Westbrook is overrated. It is pretty clear that he does pad his stats. I have seen him leave his man late in games multiple times to go for a rebound for his triple double. LeBron could go for 40 20 and 15 every game if he really wanted to (which he does sometimes). Also, look at the success players who have left the Thunder. Durant didn't work well with Westbrook, so he bounced town. Dion Waiters is a different player since he left playing with Westbrook. And the Thunder are massively underachieving with the level of pure talent they have this year.

On the flip side, he gives it 110% every night and is the most fun to watch player in the league in terms of athleticism and firepower. But he will never win anything in the league if he's the primary scorer.
Spot on, fantastic player to watch and I like the guy but his style of play is selfish.

Reaction Score

Don’t forget Oladipo

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Dion Waiters has sucked everywhere but Miami. An NBA superstar being lazy sometimes on defense applies to almost all of them. Your Durant point doesn't make sense, he left to play for Golden State, not to get away from Westbrook. It's not Westbrooks fault his teammates are under preforming, because it's clear he is not.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Dion Waiters has sucked everywhere but Miami. An NBA superstar being lazy sometimes on defense applies to almost all of them. Your Durant point doesn't make sense, he left to play for Golden State, not to get away from Westbrook. It's not Westbrooks fault his teammates are under preforming, because it's clear he is not.
Durant and Westbrook butting heads is certainly a reason KD left.
Westbrook is anointed the "leader" of the team. Even by the players he plays with. Yet how far does that get the team?
It's not a coincidence that players who play with Westbrook underperform. Because he's not a good player to play with, by superstar standards.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Westbrook is anointed the "leader" of the team. Even by the players he plays with. Yet how far does that get the team?
It's not a coincidence that players who play with Westbrook underperform. Because he's not a good player to play with, by superstar standards.
When did they but heads? After he left? Durant screwed up not telling him, but Durant is a weird guy.

He's the only player in the league averaging 10 assists. Horrible teammate.

Lebron's team is 4th in the east, that's not an indictment on Lebron. Karl Towns is leading a talented roster to an 8 seed, is that his fault? It's on the rest of the team to play up to their expectations.

I swear the only people who say stuff like this never watch him play.

Reaction Score
In fairness to him how far does anyone really get in the West besides the Warriors? The West is unreal.

Reaction Score
When did they but heads? After he left? Durant screwed up not telling him, but Durant is a weird guy.

He's the only player in the league averaging 10 assists. Horrible teammate.

Lebron's team is 4th in the east, that's not an indictment on Lebron. Karl Towns is leading a talented roster to an 8 seed, is that his fault? It's on the rest of the team to play up to their expectations.

Agreed. And there is that positive Melo factor as well.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget Oladipo

I think that's who I meant instead of Waiters. But it applies to both.

Not a fair example. Oladipo has excelled having the ball in his hands. That was Westbrook role and Victor isn't good enough to take that from him

His usage rate has gone up 41% this year with the pacers to 30.1% which is also the highest in his career. Last year his usage rate was 21.4% which was a 9% decrease from his career average (up to that point) of 23.5%.

Reaction Score
Not a fair example. Oladipo has excelled having the ball in his hands. That was Westbrook role and Victor isn't good enough to take that from him

His usage rate has gone up 41% this year with the pacers to 30.1% which is also the highest in his career. Last year his usage rate was 21.4% which was a 9% decrease from his career average (up to that point) of 23.5%.
Yes, and having the ball in his hands, which he didn’t have the opportunity to do with the Thunder, has in turn shown that he is a very, very good player. The ball dominance that Westbrook enjoys doesn’t allow for players like Oladipo to show their true skills. Paul George was a better player on the Pacers than he has shown to be on the Thunder as well.

Reaction Score
Guy plays hard every play every minute. Can never question his effort and talent.

It's a shame he plays in OKC and doesn't get the recognition he deserves

It's a shame he takes 13 shots away from the rim each game and makes 35%(!) of them (including less than 30% from 3 this year). Works out to 0.79 points per shot outside the rim.

For comparison, James Harden made right at 1.0 non-rim points per shot on a superstar level 15 shots per game, or Jayson Tatum made 0.99 pps >3 ft on a role player's 4 shots, or (this one is with paint numbers because don't have those stats for college players) Antoine Anderson made 0,91 points per shot on the season.

On those double digit number of shot attempts, 0.2 pps is massive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@auror

If you are going to compare apples to oranges then covert it both to oranges

In that case Westbrook scored 0.96 points per shot

Reaction Score
@auror

If you are going to compare apples to oranges then covert it both to oranges

In that case Westbrook scored 0.96 points per shot

I compared apples to apples and NBA apples to college oranges. Still, I don't think being only 0.05 above Anderson helps your viewpoint of Westbrook. For completeness, Harden and Tatum both had 1.08 pps overall and the league leaders were in the 1.2-1.3 range (but most of them other than Curry feast at the rim).

This year, Westbrook took a superstar number of shots and made them like a below average player. Out of players who played at least 15 minutes a game over at least a third of the season, he was 251st in eFG%. Truly, that's more like fringe rotation level rather than below average, but he gets a bump for volume.

Reaction Score
Durant didn't work well with Westbrook, so he bounced town.
Yeah, he went to a team that would have won without him, and won.
Year after that, the team doesn't look quite so good.
Will be interesting to see how that turns out. If the Ws lose with Durant on board this year, cannot look good for Durant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom